Toyota 4Runner Forum - Largest 4Runner Forum

Toyota 4Runner Forum - Largest 4Runner Forum (https://www.toyota-4runner.org/)
-   Problems & Warranty Issues (https://www.toyota-4runner.org/problems-and-warranty-issues/)
-   -   shudder/vibration when accelerating slow (https://www.toyota-4runner.org/problems-and-warranty-issues/145104-shudder-vibration-when-accelerating-slow.html)

cgalloni 06-27-2013 01:05 PM

shudder/vibration when accelerating slow

Hi Guys,
I need your help with this.
I just purchased a 2013 4 runner SR5 4wd for the wife. The car is awesome but I have noticed since Sunday ( the day i drove it off the lot) that every time I hit the gas (moderately) the car starts to shudder ( around 45- 50 mph) is driving me crazy. It does not feel in the actual steering wheel but the truck itself. I thought it was me and then my wife drove it yesterday and without me mentioning anything she told me the truck feels weird when you accelerate to around 40 mph . I have the dealer and let them know about this situation I am taking it this afternoon but I am afraid they are not going to be able to replicate the problem and basically leave me with the same problem with no solution? Have any of you experienced this ? have you fixed it? how?
Please help.
P.S I have an FJ 2007 and never had a problem with it and I am starting to regret this purchase

michaelreed 07-24-2013 03:13 PM

Thats easy.. Take it to the dealer and make them fix it under warranty.

DM4RNR 09-11-2013 11:42 PM

OP did you get this fixed? I too have 13 with a shudder/vibe but mine is at idle in drive. Once I let go of the brake I get a vibe that starts low and feels like it climbs up the cabin. Please share any updates. Thanks

chaotichoax 11-12-2014 09:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by cgalloni (Post 1415384)
Hi Guys,
I need your help with this.
I just purchased a 2013 4 runner SR5 4wd for the wife. The car is awesome but I have noticed since Sunday ( the day i drove it off the lot) that every time I hit the gas (moderately) the car starts to shudder ( around 45- 50 mph) is driving me crazy. It does not feel in the actual steering wheel but the truck itself. I thought it was me and then my wife drove it yesterday and without me mentioning anything she told me the truck feels weird when you accelerate to around 40 mph . I have the dealer and let them know about this situation I am taking it this afternoon but I am afraid they are not going to be able to replicate the problem and basically leave me with the same problem with no solution? Have any of you experienced this ? have you fixed it? how?
Please help.
P.S I have an FJ 2007 and never had a problem with it and I am starting to regret this purchase

I have a similar issue with my 2004 v6 4x4 sport model. I had toyota look at it and they told me that one of my wheel bearings showed excessive wear and could produce the necessary harmonics to cause this. I had the bearing replaced and the noise/vibration continues.

Anyone else have any issue like this? I am thinking maybe driveshaft joint related?

fastbusa08 12-09-2014 11:36 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by chaotichoax (Post 1842944)
I have a similar issue with my 2004 v6 4x4 sport model. I had toyota look at it and they told me that one of my wheel bearings showed excessive wear and could produce the necessary harmonics to cause this. I had the bearing replaced and the noise/vibration continues.

Anyone else have any issue like this? I am thinking maybe driveshaft joint related?

Mine is currently in shop for the same, flushing transmission fluid. If that doesn't work he said probably the torque converter. You ever figure your problem out?

chaotichoax 12-13-2014 12:40 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by fastbusa08 (Post 1865144)
Mine is currently in shop for the same, flushing transmission fluid. If that doesn't work he said probably the torque converter. You ever figure your problem out?

I did not but BlackWorksInc here on the forum did suggest that I pull my fill plug to check my fluid. I had the diffs/xcase fluids changed 13k miles ago so he believes it should still look pretty decent. His suspicion was possibly the pinion bearing. I haven't had the chance to do this yet unfortunately. The issue hasn't gotten any worse and I have been pretty busy so I have been ignoring it lately (stupid, I know).

NicBond007 12-26-2014 11:01 AM

I am having a similar issue

I have a 2009 Toyota 4-Runner with 115,000 miles. It just recently started feeling like I am driving over ruts when I am accelerating. It happens when the transmission is shifting from 3rd to 4th and then from 4th to 5th. This is an automatic transmission. It doesn't seem to happen when you accelerate fast only when you are "babying" it per say. Anyone have any idea what is wrong with it? and how do you fix a problem like this.

rifle91 07-15-2015 04:54 PM

Same issue

Quote:

Originally Posted by NicBond007 (Post 1878988)
I have a 2009 Toyota 4-Runner with 115,000 miles. It just recently started feeling like I am driving over ruts when I am accelerating. It happens when the transmission is shifting from 3rd to 4th and then from 4th to 5th. This is an automatic transmission. It doesn't seem to happen when you accelerate fast only when you are "babying" it per say. Anyone have any idea what is wrong with it? and how do you fix a problem like this.

I just started with the exact same issue NicBond - did you find a resolution? Dealer said it could be the A/C compressor doing wacky things. Although after testing that theory it still happens with the A/C off.

JHoyle 11-18-2018 07:20 PM

My 07 gen 4 loses acceleration 1 gear to 2 gear and I get a vibration. Not sure if it’s transmission going out or torque converter. Hoping it’s not a massive fix. Anybody get any answers on their problems?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

cloudrunner 11-20-2018 07:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JHoyle (Post 3175638)
My 07 gen 4 loses acceleration 1 gear to 2 gear and I get a vibration. Not sure if it’s transmission going out or torque converter. Hoping it’s not a massive fix. Anybody get any answers on their problems?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

James - This is Ray. Pose the question in the 4th gen section and you will get more traction. Also, please provide some more details. Does the loss of power happen at quarter throttle and half throttle? Does the loss of power only happen when the transmission shifts from first to second? How long is the power loss? When the transmission eventually grabs second does it grab hard, any clunking or banging?

Thanks!

Mrjcfromsc 06-09-2019 01:55 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by NicBond007 (Post 1878988)

Did you ever figure out what was wrong with your 4runner?