Toyota 4Runner Forum - Largest 4Runner Forum

Toyota 4Runner Forum - Largest 4Runner Forum (https://www.toyota-4runner.org/)
-   Classic T4Rs (https://www.toyota-4runner.org/classic-t4rs/)
-   -   Pros/Cons of 1st gen vs 2nd gen (https://www.toyota-4runner.org/classic-t4rs/156041-pros-cons-1st-gen-vs-2nd-gen.html)

jmitchell79 11-29-2013 02:47 AM

Pros/Cons of 1st gen vs 2nd gen

So far I love the fact that you can take off the rear shell on the 1st gen. Any advantages of either one?

How about motor? Seems the 22RE is the most popular. Is that just because it's lighter for 4 wheeling?

I was originally wanting a Tacoma for around $2k for camping and stuff, but it seems like there are more 4 runners around.

I'm in the Sacramento area so if anyone knows of a reliable basically stock 4 runner for around $2k, please let me know. I'm planning on joining the club soon.

Not sure if I'd be interested in 4 wheeling because I wouldn't want to break my primary mode of transportation, but it does look like fun and I like the look of it. Never been one for jacked up trucks, I grew up liking the lowered trucks but it's growing on me...

I can't wait!:target:

BaseRunner 11-29-2013 05:40 AM

Welcome to the forum. Honestly off the top of my head and going by what I've learned. Advantages of the 1st gen are 22re motor is nearly bulletproof, the roof comes off, gas mileage, easier to work on, easier to play with and they are awesome offroad. Only cons I can think of is the timing chain tends to get loose or the guides start to wear, but if you dont hear any rattling then its not that big of a deal and one other thing is that its a bit underpowered. But honestly its a truck and it performs like one. I really couldn't tell you the advantages to a 2nd gen because I've never owned one. But one con on those 2nd gens is they seem to have a head gasket issue, and also a little unerpowered for a V6. But both are 4Runners and both are awesome! Stay away from rust, good luck!

85straight 11-29-2013 10:30 AM

2nd gens are cool....but 1st gens are COOLER haha. Both gens are easy to work on and cheap to fix. And both are very offroad capable stock, no need to lift if you don't plan on wheelin it. My stock truck suprises me every time i take it out. You mentioned you would use it primarily for camping, both trucks would suit you well, as the back seats fold down to sleep in them. Hmmm what else, oh ya BOTH motors are slow as hell so don't expect a race truck.GL with the search!

zeak 11-29-2013 10:32 AM

+1 to what Baserunner said.
The 2nd gen guys like myself and the 1st gen guys are always giving each other a hard time, but its all in good fun.
:flipoff:

The pros to the 2nd gens are similar to the 1st with the exception to the engine.
Most come with the 3vze v6 3.0
It is a bit under powered for a v6, but a lot of us have gotten well over 200k+ without any major problems.
If you find yourself with a 4runner with this engine, remember that the exhaust on the right side of the engine crosses over the top of the trans and "bakes" the head gaskets sometimes. Most of the time it just makes the valve cover gaskets dry out faster and seep oil.
Which ever one you decide to get, pop the hood.
Check to see if the 4wd works.
See if the rear windows roll up and down. That includes the tailgate window on second gens. (You can't open the gate with it up).
Hope my rambling helps and good luck.

KidVermicious 11-29-2013 10:49 AM

You can get both motors in both trucks. The 3VZE was an option on '88 and '89 1st gens, and the 22RE was still available in '95.

There's only one major mechanical difference between the models - the 2nd gen has a coil-spring rear suspension, the 1st gen has leaf springs in the rear. Other than that, the only choice to make is whether you want an open top or four doors, and if you're like @Footofgod , you say to hell with it and choose both.

Cmwise 11-29-2013 11:16 AM

Not to mention 2nd gens are four doors and the 1st gen are 2 doors

Quatre Coureur 11-29-2013 11:20 AM

I'm staying out of this one... :tape2:

BaseRunner 11-29-2013 11:46 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Quatre Coureur (Post 1546401)

Paul, this thread is calling your name :lol:

85straight 11-29-2013 12:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Quatre Coureur (Post 1546401)

Come on now, the OP deserves the truth about these trucks:becky:

Quatre Coureur 11-29-2013 12:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BaseRunner (Post 1546419)
Paul, this thread is calling your name :lol:

Right!? I think I pissed off the 2G guys enough already. OP, go to page 5 of this section and read the thread 'Only one is a Classic'. Its pretty funny but its shows the passion we have for these rigs. :flame:

Pisa 8687 11-29-2013 12:25 PM

The truth 1st gen better no matter what. THE TOP COMES OFF!

Quatre Coureur 11-29-2013 12:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 85straight (Post 1546427)
Come on now, the OP deserves the truth about these trucks:becky:

The truth is :fear: only the 1st Gen is a classic. Its not that I dislike 2Gs, in fact I'm helping my son get a clean, low mileage '90 22RE for 2 grand. Now if this 4RNR was a year older and in the same condition, it would be 4 grand. :target:

BigBluePile 11-29-2013 12:39 PM

A sazall will take the roof off a second gen.

'88-89 came with the infamous 3.0. I'd look for those years. Drive the piss out off the 3.0 then easily drop in a 3.4 with sc. Also, better interiors.

85straight 11-29-2013 12:40 PM

Oh boy...here we go haha
:AK47: :sniper:

zeak 11-29-2013 12:41 PM

1 Attachment(s)
It seems one of the few things we can agree on it that anything after 95 looks like an aggressive minivan .
Edit:
(seriously tho, I'm kidding)