Toyota 4Runner Forum - Largest 4Runner Forum

Toyota 4Runner Forum - Largest 4Runner Forum (https://www.toyota-4runner.org/)
-   3rd gen T4Rs (https://www.toyota-4runner.org/3rd-gen-t4rs/)
-   -   Power Steering Pump or Steering Rack? *VIDEO* (https://www.toyota-4runner.org/3rd-gen-t4rs/156697-power-steering-pump-steering-rack-*video*.html)

LexusFTW 12-06-2013 05:08 PM

Power Steering Pump or Steering Rack? *VIDEO*

I've been experience what I think is morning sickness for the past couple of weeks. Today it happened to snow about 6" and my 4Runner is now a little harder to turn and it's making a whining noise constantly.

I've read the whine is the rack and I should replace it but I've also seen instaces where people say it's the pump. What do you guys think?

99 4Runner Limited 4WD Power Steering Noise - YouTube

nevada 12-06-2013 05:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by LexusFTW (Post 1553955)
I've been experience what I think is morning sickness for the past couple of weeks. Today it happened to snow about 6" and my 4Runner is now a little harder to turn and it's making a whining noise constantly.

I've read the whine is the rack and I should replace it but I've also seen instaces where people say it's the pump. What do you guys think?

99 4Runner Limited 4WD Power Steering Noise - YouTube

first, did you check the fluid?

if its indeed full and making this noise, it may just need flushed.
suction out as much of the old fluid that you can and replace it with new.
drive it for a few miles, and do it again. it may take several times to get it all flushed out.

if that doesn't help, I would say the pump is bad.

but, honestly I haven't seen a bad Toyota PS pump yet. likely it just needs fresh fluid.

Brian757 12-06-2013 05:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by LexusFTW (Post 1553955)
I've been experience what I think is morning sickness for the past couple of weeks.

boy or girl? :)

Oh, and that sounds like a bad power steering pump. Your steering rack won't show symptoms until you touch that steering wheel. And it won't be at the location you aim the camera at.

To elaborate, I wouldn't just replace the power steering pump. That will be your last option.
I would:
Check PS fluid (Which should be ATF fluid-If automatic)(Shouldn't be PS fluid)
Check the quality of your PS belt

LexusFTW 12-06-2013 05:45 PM

Thanks for the suggestions guys. The fluid is at a normal level and the belt looks fine. I'll flush the fluid and report back.

Brian757 12-06-2013 05:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by LexusFTW (Post 1553997)
Thanks for the suggestions guys. The fluid is at a normal level and the belt looks fine. I'll flush the fluid and report back.

Does the sound come from the location you posted in the video? The power steering reservoir.
Don't flush your fluid until we eliminate some other factors, por favor.

Can you run your truck for a little, and then quickly check the PS reservoir for air bubbles or foaming?
With hard turning, it sounds like your either low on fluid, or your pump is crapping out.

Here is a video of someone replacing/repairing the filter inside of the PS pump. The clogged filter is the reason behind the whining:
<object width="640" height="360"><param name="movie" value="//www.youtube.com/v/7u6za7NxUJU?hl=en_US&amp;version=3&amp;rel=0"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="//www.youtube.com/v/7u6za7NxUJU?hl=en_US&amp;version=3&amp;rel=0" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" width="640" height="360" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true"></embed></object>

amalik 12-06-2013 06:01 PM

sorry for the ignorance here but wouldn't a bad steering rack have a lot more SIGNS of being bad than just a little 'hard' to turn? Maybe like NOT being able to turn at all?

like other said -- seems to me like ps belt, ps fluid, ps pump.

LexusFTW 12-06-2013 06:29 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by Brian757 (Post 1554006)
Does the sound come from the location you posted in the video? The power steering reservoir.
Don't flush your fluid until we eliminate some other factors, por favor.

Can you run your truck for a little, and then quickly check the PS reservoir for air bubbles or foaming?
With hard turning, it sounds like your either low on fluid, or your pump is crapping out.

I started the truck and checked the fluid, it's foamy/bubbly. I also sprayed some soapy water on the belt, no change in noise. See attached pic

LexusFTW 12-07-2013 12:23 PM

Cleaned the pump, fixed.

LexusFTW 12-08-2013 07:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by LexusFTW (Post 1554605)
Cleaned the pump, fixed.

Looks like I spoke too soon. I cleaned the filter in the reservoir and the power steering worked perfectly. No noise and drove great for about an hour last night. I started the truck up this evening and the same symptoms are back and there's no power steering. What could this mean? Is it likely the filter is clogged again?

jmildoc 12-08-2013 07:55 PM

Thats strange, but I am going to try the cleaning option because mine has been whining for about a month now.

threadlessclimber 12-08-2013 11:44 PM

Spilt ATF on the belt could cause the belt to slip.

Brian757 12-09-2013 09:28 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by LexusFTW (Post 1555778)
Looks like I spoke too soon. I cleaned the filter in the reservoir and the power steering worked perfectly. No noise and drove great for about an hour last night. I started the truck up this evening and the same symptoms are back and there's no power steering. What could this mean? Is it likely the filter is clogged again?

Or your continuously getting air in your system, which would signify a leak. It could be where your power steering pump meets your steering rack. How does the rack look?

I don't mean to sound all over the place with the diagnostic, I'm just trying to eliminate some variables.

LexusFTW 12-09-2013 11:14 AM

The belt is not slipping and ALL of the noise is coming from the pump. I'm going to take a look at the rack today after work Brian. If there was a leak, would I be losing fluid? Since I'm not losing fluid, is there a place in the system that would only allow air to get in and fluid not to get out?

BlazeRunner 12-09-2013 01:14 PM

Air could be coming into the system without leaking from any of the connections in the system. I had that same problem and it was where my pump attached to the high pressure line, no leak but it was taking in air and causing problems. Tightened it up, bled the system and done.

LexusFTW 12-09-2013 03:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BlazeRunner (Post 1556476)
Air could be coming into the system without leaking from any of the connections in the system. I had that same problem and it was where my pump attached to the high pressure line, no leak but it was taking in air and causing problems. Tightened it up, bled the system and done.

I used the original gasket for the pressure line. I'll get new gaskets today and tighten it back down.