Toyota 4Runner Forum - Largest 4Runner Forum

Toyota 4Runner Forum - Largest 4Runner Forum (https://www.toyota-4runner.org/)
-   4th Gen T4Rs (https://www.toyota-4runner.org/4th-gen-t4rs/)
-   -   LED headlight bulbs? (https://www.toyota-4runner.org/4th-gen-t4rs/156702-led-headlight-bulbs.html)

Nashvillerunner 12-06-2013 06:54 PM

LED headlight bulbs?

I have been seeing more pics of LED headlight bulbs. I currently have Xenondepot 4300k kit and I am having problems with one of the bulbs/ballast and was wondering if the output for the LED bulbs are comparable to the HID?

RunnerAK 12-06-2013 07:48 PM

Short answer - no, LED headlight retrofits have a long way to go until they can rival the light output of HIDs.

wvuviv30 12-06-2013 08:18 PM

There is a big issue with LED headlights, how do you get the snow build-up off them?

RCs4Runner 12-06-2013 10:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Nashvillerunner (Post 1554056)
I have been seeing more pics of LED headlight bulbs. I currently have Xenondepot 4300k kit and I am having problems with one of the bulbs/ballast and was wondering if the output for the LED bulbs are comparable to the HID?

For now no. PNP LED headlight bulbs are only good for color. The LED modules from OEM vehicles are too large to retro in headlights. Maybe soon that will change but in order to get a lot of lumens out of LEDS you have to really push them and that requires a large heatsink because of the heat.

Quote:

Originally Posted by wvuviv30 (Post 1554138)
There is a big issue with LED headlights, how do you get the snow build-up off them?

They use fans.

"According to Audi, since the amount of heat generated by the LEDs is low, the fans serve to circulate heat forward to the plastic lens in order to melt ice or snow instead of acting as a cooling device for the high and low beams."

Whitebeauty 12-07-2013 08:21 AM

I'm currently running the Cree high power ones with the ballast in my fogs and it's beautiful white color. Almost as bright as my HID headlights... I would recommend them for that only.. Fogs.

SSt4r 12-07-2013 11:06 AM

On your HID kit, I have the same and was having problems: 1st one side then a year or so later, the other. I finally found bad fuses. They didn't look blown but had failed (either overheated or corroded - they had swelled at the base). Replaced the fuses and both now work fine!

RCs4Runner 12-07-2013 04:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Whitebeauty (Post 1554496)
I'm currently running the Cree high power ones with the ballast in my fogs and it's beautiful white color. Almost as bright as my HID headlights... I would recommend them for that only.. Fogs.

LOL at almost as bright as my HID headlights. A standard 85122 bulb puts out between 3200-3400 lumen. Those pnp LEDs you have don't put out anything close to 3200-3400lm...for the pair let alone per side!

Nashvillerunner 12-09-2013 11:53 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SSt4r (Post 1554556)
On your HID kit, I have the same and was having problems: 1st one side then a year or so later, the other. I finally found bad fuses. They didn't look blown but had failed (either overheated or corroded - they had swelled at the base). Replaced the fuses and both now work fine!

Okay I will check those and see if that is my problem. I am hoping that is it!