Toyota 4Runner Forum - Largest 4Runner Forum

Toyota 4Runner Forum - Largest 4Runner Forum (https://www.toyota-4runner.org/)
-   Off Topic (https://www.toyota-4runner.org/off-topic/)
-   -   Hair Loss Treatment (https://www.toyota-4runner.org/off-topic/160196-hair-loss-treatment.html)

LINY4Runner 01-23-2014 12:50 PM

Hair Loss Treatment

I'm gonna get a little vulnerable here...

Okay well I'm not there yet, but I'm thinning...definitely "Stage 1", possibly even "Stage 2".
I wanna get it before it gets me, so I'm starting to consider options.

Have you or anyone you know had any kind of HLT done? What method? How long was treatment? What was the cost? What kind of results were achieved?

Thanks guys!

BrianSD_42 01-23-2014 12:53 PM

my understanding is ... that Rogain only treats the bald spot on the back of your head. It does nothing for the long forehead which most men seam to get in their 30s and 40s.

Sorry I don't know more. Good luck.

KidVermicious 01-23-2014 01:03 PM

I vote for a preemptive strike!

http://i.ebayimg.com/00/s/MTI4OVgxNj...cRg~~60_57.JPG

I used to have awesome long hair. Then I started fighting wildfire, and the first night I had to choose between standing for an hour in the grub line and standing for an hour in the shower line, I hacked it off. I haven't grown it out since. It's very liberating - once you go bald, you never go back. :)

MtnT4R 01-23-2014 01:24 PM

^ +1

Havent paid for a haircut in over ten years. Well maintained haircuts are a pain in the ass anyways, and the ladies dont seem to like flowing locks quite like they did back in the '80s

this is my backup plan:
http://americas-best.com/graphics/pi...-bald-head.jpg

bofa 01-23-2014 01:31 PM

Supposedly Nioxin used to be pretty good until it was bought out and the formula neutered. I can tell you the new version doesn't do anything.

I'd start with checking your nutrition and make sure you are getting what you need, vitamin wise.

CookieRoe 01-23-2014 01:57 PM

Propecia or Bosley Inst.

Vitamins/Rogaine are pretty much worthless for most with thinning hair.

Propecia appears to be the only medication you can take that addresses balding. If memory serves, it "stops" a certain testosterone from killing your hair follicles. It also appears to be beneficial to prostate health, HOWEVER, you need to tell your Doctor you are on it in case you have a blood test (yearly check up). They should observe a certain level (used to screen/detect prostate cancer) in the blood that can be observed as normal. IF you get PC, this level normally rises and alerts the physicians for additional testing (normally). Taking Propecia will "lower" this and potentially masks this level (I can't remember exactly what it's called, I'm too busy now, but I'll post if you want) if you are being screened for prostate cancer. Moral: If you get PC, Propecia can potentially mask it.

OR

when it get really bad (bald), you can elect surgery (Bosley). This can/will get expensive, but apparently is very good (can't notice it).

hikenbike 01-23-2014 03:00 PM

Bald is cool. Don't sweat it.

LINY4Runner 01-23-2014 03:07 PM

I look like a derelict with my hair short lol

2-3 times a day I'm told I look like Jesse Pinkman...it'll be even closer of a resemblance if I shave it...then all my customers think I'm a junkie meth dealer named Cap'n Cook and nobody wants to deal with me and I go broke

Millerad1651 01-23-2014 04:19 PM

Man, just own it. I'm heading in that direction with a widow's peak...nothing to fix it unless I want to spend thousands. I still have mine about 1 1/2" on top, still looks "kept". A lot of times when people go through the process they look like they are trying too hard.

As long as you don't leave it like you just got out of bed, you wont look like Pinkman...

LINY4Runner 01-23-2014 04:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Millerad1651 (Post 1599722)
Man, just own it. I'm heading in that direction with a widow's peak...nothing to fix it unless I want to spend thousands. I still have mine about 1 1/2" on top, still looks "kept". A lot of times when people go through the process they look like they are trying too hard.

As long as you don't leave it like you just got out of bed, you wont look like Pinkman...

lol that's my hair style though...got the messy spikes thing going on lol...I look legit like Jesse circa Season 3

Millerad1651 01-23-2014 05:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by LINY4Runner (Post 1599766)
lol that's my hair style though...got the messy spikes thing going on lol...I look legit like Jesse circa Season 3

Haha...I know how you feel. I do a #2 on the side, and 1 1/2"-2" on top and leave it messy. Doesn't look bad (at least no one has told me it does) and doesn't make me look like a goober trying too hard.

TX4Running 01-23-2014 09:18 PM

I have been using propecia for 14 years and it works great. Will not correct receding hairline though I believe. Merck's patent just ran out last year so price went from $80 per month to $35 for generics. Insurance will not cover any of it.

1engineer 01-24-2014 09:35 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by LINY4Runner (Post 1599766)

I had a pony tail through the '70's and 80's! I was traveling the world then for my job and the hair was a problem, especially in Russia in the early 80's. I went to a barber there and had it completely shaved off. Clippers with no guard. Got back, wife liked it and has been that way ever since. I still have all my hair if I let it grow but every two weeks I just shear it off. I figure I have saved over $10K between me and my son (he wears his shaved - college soccer player) on haircuts. Try it once. If you don't like it it will grow back.

KidVermicious 01-24-2014 09:48 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by LINY4Runner (Post 1599634)
I look like a derelict with my hair short lol

2-3 times a day I'm told I look like Jesse Pinkman...it'll be even closer of a resemblance if I shave it...then all my customers think I'm a junkie meth dealer named Cap'n Cook and nobody wants to deal with me and I go broke

See, and here I see an opportunity for profit.

Do you have an agent yet?

KidVermicious 01-24-2014 09:50 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 1engineer (Post 1600481)
I figure I have saved over $10K between me and my son (he wears his shaved - college soccer player) on haircuts.

And another $20k on shampoo and conditioner, and 50,000 hours of shower time. Much easier to just rub a bar of soap on your head and get out.