Toyota 4Runner Forum - Largest 4Runner Forum

Toyota 4Runner Forum - Largest 4Runner Forum (https://www.toyota-4runner.org/)
-   4th Gen T4Rs (https://www.toyota-4runner.org/4th-gen-t4rs/)
-   -   rattling noise coming from roof (https://www.toyota-4runner.org/4th-gen-t4rs/16369-rattling-noise-coming-roof.html)

nasdaqer 02-03-2006 09:56 PM

rattling noise coming from roof

when driving on the highway I notice a small rattling noise coming from the ceiling about right between the driver's and passenger's seats. When I give the roof a little tap the sound stops for awhile. Is there wiring that's running across the top of the ceiling that may be making this noise?

2006 SR5 4x4, no sunroof

thanks for all the help - great resource

Iowa4Runner 02-03-2006 10:30 PM

Check the thumb screws on the luggage rack (if you have one).

nasdaqer 02-03-2006 10:32 PM

screws on roof rack

seem to be tight -- sounds like the noise is coming from between the steel body and the ceiling panel

Baba Booey 02-03-2006 10:35 PM

I think I remember reading a similar post here, and the problem turned out to be some type of clips that were inadvertently left in place during the manufacturing process.

Apparently, the windshield is held in place with these clips, and they are supposed to be removed before final assembly.

Maybe these links will help. Note in the first link that there is mention of a TSB for this problem. There is also a link within these links to a similar Yotatech discussion:

Windshield clips

Homelink/Sunglass Holder

nasdaqer 02-04-2006 12:00 AM

I'll check out those TSBa

thanks again

biglatka 02-04-2006 12:22 PM

Re: rattling noise coming from roof

Quote:

Originally posted by nasdaqer
when driving on the highway I notice a small rattling noise coming from the ceiling about right between the driver's and passenger's seats. When I give the roof a little tap the sound stops for awhile. Is there wiring that's running across the top of the ceiling that may be making this noise?

2006 SR5 4x4, no sunroof

thanks for all the help - great resource

This might be a long shot but in my 1988 4Runner I have the same noise when it's cold outside. I tracked it down (took the headliner off for another reason) to tubing in the area you speak of that runs down the sides, along windshield area, from the top and ending in an area behind the front wheels. They serve to drain any water that may accumulate under the roof area. These tubes get brittle when cold and tend to "rattle" from time to time if they are not tied down properly. I have a sunroof in that truck and I don't see the need for them if you don't. The noise is not evident in my 2005 4Runner (also has a sunroof). Hope this helps.