Toyota 4Runner Forum - Largest 4Runner Forum

Toyota 4Runner Forum - Largest 4Runner Forum (https://www.toyota-4runner.org/)
-   General Discussions (https://www.toyota-4runner.org/general-discussions/)
-   -   Roof Top Tent (RTT) Picture Gallery & BS Thread (https://www.toyota-4runner.org/general-discussions/165498-roof-top-tent-rtt-picture-gallery-bs-thread.html)

MTD 03-28-2014 01:19 PM

* Roof Top Tent (RTT) Picture Gallery & BS Thread *

I am installing my tent tonight so I figured i'd just make a thread for All owners of RTT's on the forum to add their pics and specs to my collection on the next post so i can keep a revolving count of how many different setups and the various brands out there to anyone looking to get one as well.

Post how you have it mounted as well with pictures of course, nothing is restricted,(trailers,roof racks ect).

Questions can also be done in here as well.

If you have multiple pics that would be most appreciated. I'll keep the Pic whoring of my own to a minimum.

LETS SEE EM! :thumb3:

MTD 03-28-2014 01:20 PM

Click the links for build threads!

2nd Gens:
bagelsjustbagels - Tepui Ayer, 2nd Gen, Mounted on

3rd Gens:
MTD - Tepui Autana, 3rd Gen, Mounted on Unistrut Rack
Dirtco - Tepui Kukenam, 3rd Gen, Mounted on Homemade Expo Trailer
48HMSFAN - Tepui Autana, 3rd Gen, Mounted on Bivouac Camping Trailer
Hoyal - Tepui Kukanam, 3rd Gen, Mounted on Yakima Racks
SeattleCyclist - Brandless RTT, Mounted on Unistrut rack

4th Gens:
blk-4runner (banned) - CVT Mt. Shatasha, Mounted on Expo Trailer
gshadow325 - CVT Mt. Rainer, Mounted

5th Gens:
Ducmonsta - CVT Shasta, 5th Gen, Mounted on Gobi Stealth Rack
Jtwo - Tepui Autana, 5th Gen, Mounted on Gobi Rack
m(a)ce - ARB, 5th Gen, Mounted on Manley Expo Trailer
Ol'Baditude - CVT Shasta, 5th Gen, Mounted on Baja Flat Rack
TheLast13 - TJM RTT, 5th Gen, Mounted to roof

MTD 03-28-2014 01:22 PM

reserved2

Jtwo 03-28-2014 01:29 PM

Good idea....

MTD 03-28-2014 01:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jtwo (Post 1662996)
Good idea....

On it like stink on a mule ;)

BTW your avatar pic makes me chuckle everytime I see it :P

Ducmonsta 03-28-2014 01:49 PM

8 Attachment(s)
Love this idea!
2011 LE Gobi stealth with removed cross bars and no vertical bars on front. Yakima grab rails attached to RTT so it can be removed without unbolting from rails.

Loaded up to go to the first @Antman camp out 2012
Attachment 114769
Deployed at camp
Attachment 114770

Attachment 114771

Getting a feel for center of gravity changes
Attachment 114772

Attachment 114773

Finding a way to keep it in the garage and movable. Built a dolly so I could roll it around.
Attachment 114774

Truck will still clear 6'8" garages without the RTT. Here's a picture of what the ladder will look like at that height.
Attachment 114776

And a picture of what the annex floor will be like at that height.
Attachment 114778

Jtwo 03-28-2014 01:55 PM

Hey Ducmonsta, would you mind giving specifics on how you have it mounted with the yakima bits?

MTD 03-28-2014 02:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ducmonsta (Post 1663016)
. Yakima grab rails attached to RTT so it can be removed without unbolting from rails.

Very interested as well!

MTD 03-28-2014 02:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ducmonsta (Post 1663016)
. Yakima grab rails attached to RTT so it can be removed without unbolting from rails.

Very interested as well!

Ducmonsta 03-28-2014 04:01 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by Jtwo (Post 1663020)
Hey Ducmonsta, would you mind giving specifics on how you have it mounted with the yakima bits?

Quote:

Originally Posted by MTD (Post 1663034)
Very interested as well!

Sorry, I have Yakima on the brain as I'm trying to replace my bike carrier with a different one. I'm actually using the Thule system because of the square bars for the RTT. It doesn't matter which way you go, but I liked the idea of a 'flat' square bar for the RTT to attach to.

This is called the Thule 450 Crossroad. I'm using it to attach directly to the top bars (front to back) of the Gobi stealth. Then I usually leave these attached to the RTT so that it ubolts really easy.
Attachment 114780

You can see a little more here

MTD 03-29-2014 11:54 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ducmonsta (Post 1663122)
Sorry, I have Yakima on the brain as I'm trying to replace my bike carrier with a different one. I'm actually using the Thule system because of the square bars for the RTT. It doesn't matter which way you go, but I liked the idea of a 'flat' square bar for the RTT to attach to.

This is called the Thule 450 Crossroad. I'm using it to attach directly to the top bars (front to back) of the Gobi stealth. Then I usually leave these attached to the RTT so that it ubolts really easy.
Attachment 114780

You can see a little more here

Very cool and those disconnect without any bolts? They look like they lock too.

HokieRunner 03-29-2014 12:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MTD (Post 1663714)

I can vouch for these too. I use them for my kayak racks. Just use a single hex key bolt to mount them and yes, they have cylinder locks which adds a little security. You unlock the end cap and then it pulls off, exposing the bolt. The end cap has the hex key built into it so no worry about losing the tool.

Ducmonsta 03-29-2014 12:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MTD (Post 1663714)

Quote:

Originally Posted by HokieRunner (Post 1663719)
I can vouch for these too. I use them for my kayak racks. Just use a single hex key bolt to mount them and yes, they have cylinder lock which add a little security. You unlock the end cap and then it pulls off exposing the bolt. The end cap has the hex key built into it so no worry about loosing the tool.

Exactly what Hokie said. If you click the link under the picture you'll see the what it looks like without the lock/cover.

Jtwo 03-29-2014 02:17 PM

Here is mine....

http://i111.photobucket.com/albums/n...7.jpg~original

I'm in the process of getting or building a off road trailer for it.

Ducmonsta 03-29-2014 03:48 PM

What style trailer are you thinking about?