Toyota 4Runner Forum - Largest 4Runner Forum

Toyota 4Runner Forum - Largest 4Runner Forum (https://www.toyota-4runner.org/)
-   5th gen T4Rs (https://www.toyota-4runner.org/5th-gen-t4rs/)
-   -   Squishy Brake Pedal (https://www.toyota-4runner.org/5th-gen-t4rs/171234-squishy-brake-pedal.html)

barcelonared2014 06-10-2014 08:47 PM

Squishy Brake Pedal

Hi guys,

New to the forum, just got the 4runner trail and it's absolutely stupendous, I love the old school high low shifter. However, I noticed that after 400 miles of driving the brake pedal makes a squishy sound when depressed. I sprayed a little white lithium grease on what i think was the rod (its hard to get to) but it didn't help. Has anyone experienced anything like this? I know some people think it isn't a big deal but it drives me crazy. :uzi: Thanks in advance y'all

-Carlos "El Bandito"

Jeremy556 06-10-2014 08:50 PM

They all do that.

Sublimize23 06-10-2014 09:09 PM

It's normal, you'll get used to it. Mine also will "pulse" a little from time to time, I feel it when I'm stopped at a light and the pedal will vibrate a little, I think it is just the emergency brake system doing something. I've read that's also not something abnormal.

shaneotool 06-10-2014 09:21 PM

evidently it's normal and it's ridiculous.

barcelonared2014 06-10-2014 09:25 PM

Thanks to the replies guys. however...
It didn't do that the first 400 miles. Whenever I buy a car I listen to every little thing so I know would've noticed it if it did that when i picked it up. If it's "normal" do any of you know what interaction of parts actually makes that sound? On my old tacoma the clutch made a similar squeaky sound and an official toyota bulletin was issued for the clutch pedal, I fixed it by disassembly and reassembly with lots of grease, but my taco had 100k plus miles and ol red this is brand new.

Colonal Angus 06-10-2014 09:26 PM

It was driving me nuts, too. I took it to the dealer because I thought my brakes needed to be bled. They looked into it, asked around, test drove a couple others on the lot...determined they all do it. :shrug:

barcelonared2014 06-10-2014 09:33 PM

I believe y'all, but if anyone know WHY it does it I can fix it from there, otherwise I'm about to re-engineer this thing.

Sublimize23 06-10-2014 09:42 PM

Is it the noise or the feeling you don't like? I really doubt anything can be done about it. Someone posted previously that the noise is related to the system that assists in braking in emergency situations. Turn the music up and forget about it.

1engineer 06-10-2014 09:44 PM

I know why it does it and unless you have advanced degrees in physics, fluid mechanics and electrical systems and design I would not tamper with it. Now, if you want to pull a master cylinder off a '78 Buick and replace it then go ahead and knock yourself out. They all do it and it is one of the best braking systems out there. Do me a favor: go to a deserted stretch of road and panic stop from 55 mph. If you can design a system like this then you have patents in your future.

DigableKid 06-10-2014 09:52 PM

Brake assist. The brake system can recognize when the pedal is suddenly and erratically depressed and will engage heavy braking to save your ass from rear ending a brand new Mercedes.

http://www.toyota-4runner.org/5th-ge...gy-brakes.html

Stifler 06-10-2014 09:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by barcelonared2014 (Post 1724529)
I believe y'all, but if anyone know WHY it does it I can fix it from there, otherwise I'm about to re-engineer this thing.

a lot of time on your hands huh?

1engineer 06-10-2014 10:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Stifler (Post 1724548)
a lot of time on your hands huh?

Years...

barcelonared2014 06-10-2014 10:03 PM

well thanks for all the responses guys. When y'all are being so final about the issue, it kinda squashes the curious spirit, which all you 4 runner owners should have. My friends new sr5 doesn't do it. If any of you have real engineering insight into it or blueprints (I can't seem to find them online) other than "it's normal" I'd like to see it. Call me crazy but a 30k plus truck shouldn't have squeaks new. It just doesn't logically follow…if it's normal, why didn't it do it when new? If they all do it why doesn't my friends with 13k make the sound? If it's related to the emergency braking, why does it happen during normal braking? I've built and restored all types of cars and never had this issue with any sort of system, powered or unpowered. Once again, not trying to be disrespectful to anyone, but I'm curious from an engineering perspective and would like to fix it.

Arkangel 06-10-2014 10:08 PM

My 2014 SR5 does it as well and did it from brand new. What mine also does that is super annoying and in 1200 miles cannot get used to is pulsating when braking. Happens i would say 90% of the time. Took it in and the tech said he felt no pulsation. 2 others I drove did not do it.

barcelonared2014 06-10-2014 10:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Arkangel (Post 1724560)
My 2014 SR5 does it as well and did it from brand new. What mine also does that is super annoying and in 1200 miles cannot get used to is pulsating when braking. Happens i would say 90% of the time. Took it in and the tech said he felt no pulsation. 2 others I drove did not do it.

The other ones I've drove haven't done it either. Mine doesn't pulsate tho…can't lose em all i guess :high5: