Toyota 4Runner Forum - Largest 4Runner Forum

Toyota 4Runner Forum - Largest 4Runner Forum (https://www.toyota-4runner.org/)
-   3rd gen T4Rs (https://www.toyota-4runner.org/3rd-gen-t4rs/)
-   -   cruise control problems (https://www.toyota-4runner.org/3rd-gen-t4rs/175605-cruise-control-problems.html)

Hesk11dog 08-14-2014 01:17 PM

cruise control problems

I have a 97 limited, 2.5'' coil spacers with 265/75/16's. It is my daily driver and I take it on 2 hour trips every other week. The cruise control light on the dash lights up when I hit the button but it will not set the speed when i pull it down. Not sure if it is the CC module or just a wiring issue. I am new to this forum and it is freaking sweet.

jkoni426 08-14-2014 01:55 PM

Welcome, is the CEL on?

Hesk11dog 08-14-2014 02:00 PM

No it hasn't came on because of that, thought it would throw a code but never did. I started checking some of the wires but didnt find anything unusual.

jkoni426 08-14-2014 02:21 PM

this should get you heading in the right direction:

http://tacoma.site40.net/4Runner_96-...sdenma/pst.pdf

Hesk11dog 08-14-2014 02:29 PM

1 Attachment(s)
looks like it is this, i would like to fix it without going to a dealership but if it is the ECM, I'm screwed on that end

jkoni426 08-14-2014 03:04 PM

if you have a multimeter I'd start with troubleshooting the control switch circuit:

http://tacoma.site40.net/4Runner_96-...a/controls.pdf

if it is the ecm, you can probably find one on ebay pretty cheap. good luck

kball 08-15-2014 09:14 AM

Do your brake lights work? If they aren't the cruise won't set.

Frey 08-15-2014 01:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Hesk11dog (Post 1772032)
looks like it is this, i would like to fix it without going to a dealership but if it is the ECM, I'm screwed on that end

My '97 has a similar issue. Sometimes it works as it should, more often it doesn't work at all. Thanks @jkoni426 for posting that diagram!

Scramble 08-15-2014 05:18 PM

My CC hasn't worked in years. I just bought an ECU off E-Bay for $30. That should fix it. Thanks for this thread.

shotgun_willie 08-15-2014 05:25 PM

I just purchased my 97 and have had a similar issue. Mine is a 5-speed and for some reason the cruise control won't always work but if I sort of push the clutch pedal left and right with my foot it will start working. Not sure why it happens or why that works, just the advice the PO gave me and it works, so if you have the 5-speed that might help you out.

kball 08-15-2014 10:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by shotgun_willie (Post 1772978)
I just purchased my 97 and have had a similar issue. Mine is a 5-speed and for some reason the cruise control won't always work but if I sort of push the clutch pedal left and right with my foot it will start working. Not sure why it happens or why that works, just the advice the PO gave me and it works, so if you have the 5-speed that might help you out.

Same reason I asked the OP about his brakes. There's a sensor/switch down at the pedal, and on manual trans they're on both the brake and clutch pedals. Your sensor is bad so the CC thinks you have the clutch pushed in which would over rev the engine if the cruise stayed on obviously.

TRDteen 08-16-2014 11:13 AM

With my 5-speed 3rd gen, I have to pull the clutch ALL THE WAY OUT with my foot for the cc to work. If the clutch isnt all the way pulled back, the cruise control light will still come on, but it wont set.

Hesk11dog 08-18-2014 12:09 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kball (Post 1772581)
Do your brake lights work? If they aren't the cruise won't set.

My brake lights do work. It sounds like 5 speed T4R's have a bit of a problem with the CC. I'll try the peddle jig tomorrow and the millimeter checking connections if that fails. Thanks for all the help, who needs cruise control anyway

Stephen363 04-20-2019 10:25 AM

Cruise control issue revisited- New problem

Hey guys,
I'm new to the forum so please excuse me if I miss something here. I also cannot post a new thread yet, so this is the closest one I found. To preface my question, I've read through all the threads i could find and even used the alternate search tool on the home page but haven't found anything that has helped resolve my problem. I have a 1998 T4R, 4x4, 3.4L V6, with auto transmission and the Ford cruise control (as opposed to the Denso one the shop manual mentions is available). My problem is that the CC light will come on when engaged in park. The light will stay on when placed in drive but CC will not engage. If turned off while in drive it will not turn back on. It cannot be turned on at all when in drive. Here is what I've tried:
1. checked all fuses based on shop manual and these threads
2. Brake light (stop light) switch has been changed and checked for proper clearance. All lights work ok
3. Cable from CC computer to throttle body not binding or deformed
4. CC computer connector and wires appear to be fine
5. No codes at all appear on ECM with code reader. No fault lights or any other abnormal indications from the vehicle of any kind.
6. I have not checked the basic functions of the CC switch yet because i know the on/off switch works and until I can get it to turn on/off in drive the other functions are of secondary concern (I think...).

The troubleshooting guide in the shop manual is a little confusing and appears to need a couple of special tools, most importantly an inline connector to allow for voltage/signal readings (if I'm understanding it correctly). My final thought is to just take it to Toyota and see if they can find the problem, but wanted to check the vast knowledge base here first. Any help or suggestions is greatly appreciated.

DaMonkey 04-21-2019 08:32 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TRDteen (Post 1773396)
With my 5-speed 3rd gen, I have to pull the clutch ALL THE WAY OUT with my foot for the cc to work. If the clutch isnt all the way pulled back, the cruise control light will still come on, but it wont set.

Mine had this for a few years after I bought it. Turned out to be internal leak in slave which then became a driveability issue. Dangerous and a truck became a menace. Very easy to swap in new mc sc, it fixed it real buttery like.