Toyota 4Runner Forum - Largest 4Runner Forum

Toyota 4Runner Forum - Largest 4Runner Forum (https://www.toyota-4runner.org/)
-   3rd gen T4Rs (https://www.toyota-4runner.org/3rd-gen-t4rs/)
-   -   Couple of Questions After Replacing Front Brakes (https://www.toyota-4runner.org/3rd-gen-t4rs/176220-couple-questions-after-replacing-front-brakes.html)

1998Yota4Runner 08-23-2014 08:57 PM

Couple of Questions After Replacing Front Brakes

1998 4Runner Limited 4WD v6.

So yesterday I replaced the front discs and rotors due to warping and warn brakes. And it wasn't too difficult, just a first timer at this.

Cleaned & bled, ect.

Now it seems my wheel is pulling to the right (passenger side) when applying the brakes somewhat heavily, and doesn't occur when lightly applying (to my knowledge)

And also now I hear a thump from underneath the car when reaching the bottom of the brakes and coming to a stop.

I read somewhere that the sway bar could possibly be an issue, as my driver side mount has rusted and busted recently.

So my questions are:

Why the pulling?

Why the thump?

Is the broken sway bar mount a factor?

How to fix?

If you need pictures just ask, as I'm sure someone will.

Thanks in advance - I'm somewhat a newbie, so go easy on me.

JRZEE2000TR4LTD 08-23-2014 09:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 1998Yota4Runner (Post 1779085)
1998 4Runner Limited 4WD v6.

So yesterday I replaced the front discs and rotors due to warping and warn brakes. And it wasn't too difficult, just a first timer at this.

Cleaned & bled, ect.

Now it seems my wheel is pulling to the right (passenger side) when applying the brakes somewhat heavily, and doesn't occur when lightly applying (to my knowledge)

And also now I hear a thump from underneath the car when reaching the bottom of the brakes and coming to a stop.

I read somewhere that the sway bar could possibly be an issue, as my driver side mount has rusted and busted recently.

So my questions are:

Why the pulling?

Why the thump?

Is the broken sway bar mount a factor?

How to fix?

If you need pictures just ask, as I'm sure someone will.

Thanks in advance - I'm somewhat a newbie, so go easy on me.

Check those calipers. My bad caliper had messed up dust seals on the pistons and my inside pad on the passenger side was cracked right in the middle. If you have a broken sway bar link, that should be very obvious.

1998Yota4Runner 08-23-2014 10:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JRZEE2000TR4LTD (Post 1779097)
Check those calipers. My bad caliper had messed up dust seals on the pistons and my inside pad on the passenger side was cracked right in the middle. If you have a broken sway bar link, that should be very obvious.

So if the seals are messed up should I go with a rebuild kit as those are easier than buying a whole new caliper?

a216vcti 08-23-2014 10:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 1998Yota4Runner (Post 1779138)
So if the seals are messed up should I go with a rebuild kit as those are easier than buying a whole new caliper?

I would just do the tundra upgrade at that point. But you could do the seal. Are you sure there isn't an air bubble in the right side?

LittleCaesar 08-23-2014 10:32 PM

How is/was the alignment before the brake job?

If it is pulling to the right, then more than likely it is a sticking left brake caliper. If there is a torn seal around the piston, then dirt has gotten in there. Did you notice one? If the piston is not scarred, then a rebuild kit is a good way to go. Just make sure you have the tools to do it.

If the fluid was real old, then it could also be a bad left soft brake hose.

1998Yota4Runner 08-24-2014 10:33 PM

In reply to everyone, it was the broken sway bar mount on the drivers side that made it pull to the right. Replaced both mounts this morning and torqued them down to spec and no more pulling.