Toyota 4Runner Forum - Largest 4Runner Forum

Toyota 4Runner Forum - Largest 4Runner Forum (https://www.toyota-4runner.org/)
-   Problems & Warranty Issues (https://www.toyota-4runner.org/problems-and-warranty-issues/)
-   -   A/C light flashing?? (https://www.toyota-4runner.org/problems-and-warranty-issues/17634-c-light-flashing.html)

webshot 03-21-2006 09:20 AM

A/C light flashing??

Why is my A/C light flashing in my 2003 T4R? All the manual says is that I need to take it to the dealer. Anyone else ever have this problem?

Thanks

sharp4runr 03-21-2006 10:17 AM

See this thread on Yotatech: http://www.yotatech.com/showthread.p...a%2Fc+flashing

There is an existing TSB so you should be ok with the dealership.

MrTom 03-21-2006 02:58 PM

EL011-05 A/C LIGHT FLASHING - MAGNETIC CLUTCH RELAY 6/3/2005 - 2001

webshot 03-21-2006 08:48 PM

Thanks. I think this may be exactly what I needed.

Based on this description:

"Toyota has issued a service bulletin for this condition(TSB EL011-05) it involves replacing the A/C magnetic clutch relay, locate the relay and check the part number, if it is 90987-02022 replace it with 90987-02028, contact the toyota dealer because this may still be covered under the factory warranty. "

I do indeed have the incorrect relay installed. I just verified it. I contacted my service manager and he is ordering the new relay for me tonight so they can install it Saturday.

Thank you again.

JW

MrTom 03-21-2006 09:03 PM

Thanks to the 7th and the 22nd and all the others. You make this all possible.
2165th USAF Communications 1966-1970

webshot 03-21-2006 09:11 PM

Quote:

Originally posted by MrTom
Thanks to the 7th and the 22nd and all the others. You make this all possible.
2165th USAF Communications 1966-1970

Right on brother!

webshot 03-26-2006 06:51 PM

Update...

Went to the dealer Saturday and what do you know! The relay started working again along with my AC. They could not replicate the problem unless they pulled the relay from the fuse box. They had the new relay in stock so I just bought the thing. It was like $60. I threw it in my glove box incase I needed it.

For future reference(TSB EL011-05):

The relay that came with the car and is faulty is part number 90987-02022 and is white in color.

It is supposed to be replaced by the newer relay part number 90987-02028 and is grey in color.

This relay is found in the fuse box under the hood marked as "MG CLT". "MG CLT" is short for Magnetic Clutch.

Thanks

a77boy 03-14-2007 10:35 PM

You guys Rule!!! I went to the dealer and the guy actually pointed out the WRONG relay to me!!! Got home and read up on the forum here and it turns out that I do have the defective relay. Thanks for your post!!!

rando 05-01-2007 09:14 PM

Just two months out of warranty and the a/c light in my truck started flashing a few weeks back. Whenever it happens, I just push the auto button and it starts working again. It might run for a few hours or only a few minutes.

After the diagnostic procedures in the repair manuals didn't uncover anything, I did a search here and found this thread about the TSB. I went ahead and ordered the part from Partznet ~$50 with free shipping. Hopefully that takes care of it.

-Thanks for the info!

a77boy 05-01-2007 10:58 PM

I never got around to buying a new relay, The problem with the factory one is that the contacts begin to stick. I took out the original relay, banged it on my kitchen counter a few times and it has been working for over two months. Hmm,, o well, Hahaha :bash:

TechWrench 05-05-2007 07:58 AM

Having the same problem with my '03. Called the dealer, they said bring it in to be checked. I called the parts dept, they didn't stock relay and it would take 2-3 days to get one it. Called the service dept back, asked if they would pre-order relay so I could get it fixed in ONE trip. They said NO, they wouldn't pre-order part, they had to check it out first. Told them about TSB, they still wouldn't pre-order relay (company policy). Since I am already over my 36K warranty, and will have to pay $50.00 deductable anyway, I canceled service appt and ordered one from Patrznet for $48.81 and I will install it myself.

While checking the relay in the relay/fuse box under the hood, I noticed that there were 5 other identical relays used for other systems. I found one for the FR FOG (Front Fog lights) which I don't HAVE to use, and switched them. The A/C now works, no flashing dash indicator. When the new relay arrives, I'll put it in and return the fog light relay to its normal spot.

FYI; The other relays that use the 90987-02022 relay in my '03 are'

#2, FR FOG (front fog lights)
#7, C/OPN (works with fuel pump relay)
#8, DOME (dome light)
#9, EFI (probably electronic fuel injection)
#10, A/F HEATER (Air/fuel ratio sensor)

The relay location is on the bottom of the relay box cover when you remove it to access the relays.

So, If you REALLY need your A/C you can use the FR FOG (if you have fog lights) or the DOME relays in a pinch until you can order the new A/C relay.

PS: After checking wiring diagram manual, I would probably not want to use the DOME relay, it appears to be tied into a lot of interior functions including the theft deterrent system. So the Front Fog relay looks to be the only one you could safely use if needed.

a77boy 05-05-2007 01:40 PM

Great research!

greasefingers 05-05-2007 05:31 PM

This relay has been a disaster. The Corolla and Camry also have this same failing relay.

TechWrench 05-05-2007 08:03 PM

Does anyone know if it is a mechanical or solid state unit? I intend to 'autopsy' mine when I install the new one. Considering that Toyota uses this relay in at least 5/6 other systems in the same fuse/relay box, I suspect that the A/C magnetic clutch load across the relay 'contacts' is issue. The relay is probably not sufficiently rated for the current it has to control. I haven't heard of this relay failing anywhere except for the A/C clutch application.

a77boy 05-05-2007 08:13 PM

Mechanical relay as far as I know. I managed to take apart the relay next to it, EFI i think. It is a little different, but It is definetly mechanical. The magnetic clutch relay should be the same. As stated before, I simply banged it on my counter top and it has been working for two months. :-)