Toyota 4Runner Forum - Largest 4Runner Forum

Toyota 4Runner Forum - Largest 4Runner Forum (https://www.toyota-4runner.org/)
-   3rd gen T4Rs (https://www.toyota-4runner.org/3rd-gen-t4rs/)
-   -   Wiper Inserts (https://www.toyota-4runner.org/3rd-gen-t4rs/180270-wiper-inserts.html)

MDTrailrider 10-22-2014 07:54 PM

Wiper Inserts

I bought new genuine 4Runner wiper blades from a Toyota dealership. After 17 years they were getting pretty weathered. The new blades are indicated with the correct model number but they are wider and come with wider heavier duty inserts. If I try to get replacement wiper inserts they fit the narrower original blades from 1998. I've gone to a couple of dealerships in different states. Both the blades and inserts have the correct model numbers for my 98 SR5 4Runner but the Toyota dealers don't have replacement inserts that fit the new blades. Both Toyota dealers are stumped.

Have any of you encountered this? What do you get to work with the new blades?

dirteater4 10-22-2014 09:32 PM

I switched to Trico Neoform blades and havent looked back. My last set lasted 14 months of Colorado sun, rain, snow, dirt, and mud.

pluton 10-22-2014 09:57 PM

I buy the cheapest, on-sale, compete blades(not inserts) because all the blades---including Toyota and the 'fancy' types---I've ever used go bad in the same amount of time.
Usually within a year they've got small nicks and gaps that leave streaks.

infamousRNR 10-22-2014 11:53 PM

i purchased just the blade inserts from ebay. PIAA silicon blades. something special about them. best blades ever. can't say i had an issue with the width though.. in times like those I'm sure the dealer said just buy the whole blade that already have the inserts in them :/

MDTrailrider 10-25-2014 10:08 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by infamousRNR (Post 1824994)
i purchased just the blade inserts from ebay. PIAA silicon blades. something special about them. best blades ever.

It's not clear to me that there are PIAA replacement inserts either. If I get them then I'm still right where I am that I have to buy entire blades to replace my inserts. That's like replacing my wheels every time I buy new tires.

Quote:

Originally Posted by infamousRNR (Post 1824994)
in times like those I'm sure the dealer said just buy the whole blade that already have the inserts in them

Absolutely! Both dealerships were sympathetic and the second one did give me a good price on them.

Sooner or later I will need new inserts though and I don't want to start buying entire blades every time. I can't be the only 3rd Gen 4Runner owner who has replacement factory blades can I? I have a lot of faith in Toyota from owning a few vehicles so I prefer to stick with their factory parts that have worked so reliably. I got 17 years and 268,000 miles out of the first set.