Toyota 4Runner Forum - Largest 4Runner Forum

Toyota 4Runner Forum - Largest 4Runner Forum (https://www.toyota-4runner.org/)
-   4th Gen T4Rs (https://www.toyota-4runner.org/4th-gen-t4rs/)
-   -   Fortuner and 4Runner Side by Side (https://www.toyota-4runner.org/4th-gen-t4rs/18146-fortuner-4runner-side-side.html)

Offroader 04-07-2006 06:59 AM

Fortuner and 4Runner Side by Side

1 Attachment(s)
Here's a picture of the Fortuner right next to a 2006 4Runner.

The Fortuner is taller and narrower.

Koz 04-07-2006 07:09 AM

I think the Fortuner looks like a RX/Rav4 compared to the 4Runner. The 4Runner looks more unique and truck-like.

Koz

CVsGX470 04-07-2006 08:14 AM

call me stupid, but what is the fortuner? is it a foreign model like the Prado?
CV

drake3 04-07-2006 09:26 AM

Quote:

Originally posted by CVsGX470
call me stupid, but what is the fortuner? is it a foreign model like the Prado?
CV

I was in the same boat with you - googled it. Looks like it is the SUV for the Mid-East Asia market. I found alot of information on the Toyota Phillipean website.

4x4 diesel - wish we had that.

Optitron gauges - REALLY wish we had those in the 2006.

Offroader 04-07-2006 11:17 AM

Tougher

Quote:

Originally posted by Koz
I think the Fortuner looks like a RX/Rav4 compared to the 4Runner. The 4Runner looks more unique and truck-like.

Koz

It's based on the Hilux, a heavy-duty truck, so it's actually rougher, tougher and more rugged than the 4Runner, hence less luxurious. The seats are manual and it has no sunroof.

dingo 04-07-2006 11:34 AM

I'm not too crazy about the offset hoodscoop. I like hoodscoops, but isn't the fortuner's a little offset to the right? Just looks awkward to me.

OffRDR 04-07-2006 11:49 AM

i like the bumper cut out

CVsGX470 04-07-2006 11:50 AM

Quote:

Originally posted by dingo
I'm not too crazy about the offset hoodscoop. I like hoodscoops, but isn't the fortuner's a little offset to the right? Just looks awkward to me.
From what I can tell, I think that it is offset a bit due to the diesel engine. It is actually a functioning intake.
CV

dingo 04-07-2006 11:53 AM

Quote:

Originally posted by CVsGX470
From what I can tell, I think that it is offset a bit due to the diesel engine. It is actually a functioning intake.
CV

Ah. I see. They could have probably found a desgin to center it though. I'm just nitpicking though. If I'm not mistaken, doesn't the fortuner have rear drum brakes instead of discs?

05SportV8 04-07-2006 12:28 PM

I have talked to some friends in Costa Rica.
They have the Fortuner there and the 4R as well

The fortuner is basically the Hilux Pick up made SUV.
Many parts of the Hilux are exchangeable. Including the hood.
looking it from the front you will have problems finding differences between both.

Yes it does have rear brakes and It has a shorter wheelbase than the 4R.
The engines are smaller and they have a couple options in diesels also. The 4R only has the 4.0l gas or the 3.0l TDI. No V8 available to either.

The fortuner does not have to meet the requirements of USA in terms of height of bumper and It has a higher front clearance.

Think of the fortuner as the little tough brother of the 4R.

And it is not a wussy Rav or higlander... it may even beat the 4R in terms of tough construction.

Offroader 04-07-2006 02:19 PM

Quote:

Originally posted by 05SportV8
The 4R only has the 4.0l gas or the 3.0l TDI. No V8 available to either.
The 3.0 liter TurboDiesel engine is no longer available for the 4Runner. If you want Diesel, you have to buy either the Fortuner (around same price as 4R), or the more expensive Prado.
Or, if you have really deep pockets, double-the-price, 4.2 liter V6 TurboDiesel Land Cruiser.

BenSD 04-07-2006 03:37 PM

Yuck. I don't care how rugged it is, it looks like the lead vehicle in the Soccer Mom Parade. I sure hope this is not the direction that the next generation 4R will go. Let's hope it is styled more like the Tacoma, or the 07 Tundra.

05SportV8 04-07-2006 05:07 PM

"Off roader: The 3.0 liter TurboDiesel engine is no longer available for the 4Runner. If you want Diesel, you have to buy either the Fortuner (around same price as 4R), or the more expensive Prado."

-------------------

The website says you still can. I am not there so I just post what I can obtain online.

here is the link:

http://www.toyotacr.com/carhome.aspx?idcat=1&idcar=8#

In that page go to "arme su toyota" (build your toyota)

See, only two options of engines, TDI still there.

Sac State 04-07-2006 10:12 PM

I'd buy a Fortuner w/diesel over the new FJCrusier anyday!

Northof49 04-07-2006 10:31 PM

Re: Tougher

Quote:

Originally posted by Offroader
It's based on the Hilux, a heavy-duty truck, so it's actually rougher, tougher and more rugged than the 4Runner, hence less luxurious. The seats are manual and it has no sunroof.
The Hilux is a Tacoma....so the Tacoma, Hilux, 4Runner and this Fortuner thing would all be on the same platform.....