Toyota 4Runner Forum - Largest 4Runner Forum

Toyota 4Runner Forum - Largest 4Runner Forum (https://www.toyota-4runner.org/)
-   5th gen T4Rs (https://www.toyota-4runner.org/5th-gen-t4rs/)
-   -   Serious kdss problem (https://www.toyota-4runner.org/5th-gen-t4rs/186289-serious-kdss-problem.html)

BCtrail 01-13-2015 11:42 PM

Serious kdss problem

Hi all this is my first post ive been a long time lurker and have joined now to seek the advice of the people that know 4runners. I live in Vancouver Canada own a 2010 TE and love it. I started noticing clanging in the front end and shortly there after clanging in the rear. I took it to my Toyota dealer were they determined the front cylinder on my kdss was leaking and had depressurized the system. The cost of a new cylinder is 2995.00$ and the labour and fluids an adittional 1400.00$. Wow also there will be 6 to 9 weeks wait for part and tool they dont have. I am working with a susspension shop and there researching out how to remove the system and put in new suspension. Does anybody have any thoughts ideas suggestions on this expensive pronlem

Jeremy556 01-13-2015 11:55 PM

Take it somewhere else. The front KDSS piston is only $1639 MSRP, and can be had for <$1300. 1-2 hours labor, tops, but they will need some SSTs to charge the system.

JohnJerk 01-13-2015 11:57 PM

Canadian pricing, eh.

BCtrail 01-14-2015 12:04 AM

I will be taking it too another toyota dealer in the valley. I feel the dealer is hiding the cost of the tool in the price as they mentioned several times about the cost of it, its not my problem if they dont have the tools.

BCtrail 01-14-2015 12:06 AM

Canadian bucks eh even with thelow loonie the price is way to high

BlackWorksInc 01-14-2015 12:07 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jeremy556 (Post 1895747)
Take it somewhere else. The front KDSS piston is only $1639 MSRP, and can be had for <$1300. 1-2 hours labor, tops, but they will need some SSTs to charge the system.

CYLINDER ASSY, FRONT STABILIZER W/TUBE for 2010 TOYOTA 4Runner. #4800760020

Not entirely sure what we're using for fluids in terms of the KDSS; if its anything like the super secret pink stuff that goes in the LX470's suspension system that crap is ridiculously expensive; I think at my employee discount I still paid something like $200~250 for 2pints of the stuff. You also do need a special KDSS fluid pump and stuff to properly bleed the system; we have ours at the dealer... never assembled because we haven't come across one yet. I would assume these systems will be dropping like the XREAS in the 4th gens as the vehicles get older.

Jeremy556 01-14-2015 12:08 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BCtrail (Post 1895760)
I will be taking it too another toyota dealer in the valley. I feel the dealer is hiding the cost of the tool in the price as they mentioned several times about the cost of it, its not my problem if they dont have the tools.

Very, very few Toyota dealers will have the tools. Slightly more lexus dealers will have the tools, but many will refuse to work on Toyotas.

Someone on this board bought a used 4runner that the previous owner tried to bleed the KDSS and had the same problems; they bought the required tools and did it themselves, IIRC. I just saw the post about in the last couple of days, but can't remember who it was.

BCtrail 01-14-2015 12:09 AM

What does ssts mean

BlackWorksInc 01-14-2015 12:11 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BCtrail (Post 1895766)
What does ssts mean

SST- Special Service Tool

BCtrail 01-14-2015 12:14 AM

Hi Jeremy556 you are correct i talked to a lexus dealer and they said they would not work on a toyota

BCtrail 01-14-2015 12:16 AM

Ahhh special service tool gotcha the pressuriser and gauge.

wfo9 01-14-2015 12:19 AM

Ouch, the dreaded KDSS failure. This is why I don't like one off systems like this.

I'm sure you could get some help here with what it would take to remove it and use regular sway bars. It seems like it would just be the LCAs in the front. Then all the links. I would hope the mounts on the rear axle are the same...

I'm sure someone knows.

Many people run with no swaybars at all, but it takes some getting use to and can be a little unsafe in an emergency maneuver. You could at least do that while waiting on parts...

Jeremy556 01-14-2015 12:23 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by wfo9 (Post 1895785)
Ouch, the dreaded KDSS failure. This is why I don't like one off systems like this.

I'm sure you could get some help here with what it would take to remove it and use regular sway bars. It seems like it would just be the LCAs in the front. Then all the links. I would hope the mounts on the rear axle are the same...

I'm sure someone knows.

Many people run with no swaybars at all, but it takes some getting use to and can be a little unsafe in an emergency maneuver. You could at least do that while waiting on parts...

I'm pretty sure you could use KDSS lower arms with a normal sway bar, but you would need new spindles, for sure. Not sure all of the correct holes are on the frame for the sway bar mounts, the frames have different part numbers.

BCtrail 01-14-2015 12:23 AM

It seems the price of the cylinder is considerably different now i believe they are including the price of the tools in my quote. I feel better now that i know were there coming from. I will starting looking harder for better pricing. This is why i joined this forum for the straight goods thanks

Intruder 01-14-2015 12:25 AM

Yup, Canadian dollar difference in the price but also extra transportation, duty, etc. on our prices. This is why the day my KDSS dies I'll be going long travel.