Toyota 4Runner Forum - Largest 4Runner Forum

Toyota 4Runner Forum - Largest 4Runner Forum (https://www.toyota-4runner.org/)
-   3rd gen T4Rs (https://www.toyota-4runner.org/3rd-gen-t4rs/)
-   -   Dash Question (https://www.toyota-4runner.org/3rd-gen-t4rs/188375-dash-question.html)

BassnmanMike 02-06-2015 10:13 PM

Dash Question

I had my radio replaced today and while removing the head unit I accidentally broke the fake wood grain panel that surrounds the radio, it goes from the top by the dash, down to the bottom and I snapped a couple chunks off by the clips.

Anyhow, I'm going to have to replace the entire panel that I broke and I would also like to replace all other fake wood pieces. Now my question, wha in the heck is the part called that I broke because I cant seem to find it anywhere.

Please help.

MONTYMTB 02-06-2015 10:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BassnmanMike (Post 1917900)
I had my radio replaced today and while removing the head unit I accidentally broke the fake wood grain panel that surrounds the radio, it goes from the top by the dash, down to the bottom and I snapped a couple chunks off by the clips.

Anyhow, I'm going to have to replace the entire panel that I broke and I would also like to replace all other fake wood pieces. Now my question, wha in the heck is the part called that I broke because I cant seem to find it anywhere.

Please help.

I've seen it referred to as several things - radio or climate control surround/bezel/trim - but you may have better luck searching by part number. @TheDurk is the master of part numbers, he may be able to help out. You don't have your year model listed, so be aware that this part for a '96-'98 might be different than the one for '99-'02.

JRZEE2000TR4LTD 02-06-2015 10:49 PM

PANEL SUB-ASSY, INSTRUMENT CLUSTER FINISH, CENTER
Replaced by: 55412-35200 1 1998.07-2000.08 VZN18#.. LULI $427.88 $313.83

That's a lot of money. Check out the classified section on here @DeathCougar might have one

DeathCougar 02-06-2015 11:20 PM

I have the woodgrain setup. Are you trying to go to black?

BassnmanMike 02-06-2015 11:53 PM

I really would prefer to completely get rid of all the wood look but that's allot of work. How much would you want for your wooden one?

Also, mine is a 1999 4Runner Limited, I didn't know there were differences in the 3rd Gens.

LeeMajors 02-06-2015 11:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BassnmanMike (Post 1917900)

Please help.

Haha. I literally did this two days ago. I've been stalking the classifieds here looking for one myself. Prob going to get a black one instead, because I don't give a shit about the woodgrain. Try ebay too--there are some on there as well.

Seems to go as "center dash bezel" most often.

DeathCougar 02-06-2015 11:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BassnmanMike (Post 1917977)
I really would prefer to completely get rid of all the wood look but that's allot of work. How much would you want for your wooden one?

Also, mine is a 1999 4Runner Limited, I didn't know there were differences in the 3rd Gens.

There are major differences.

I am actually currently only selling the woodgrain as a complete package for $100 shipped

MONTYMTB 02-07-2015 12:23 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BassnmanMike (Post 1917977)

I took mine off and painted them black. Really not too bad a job - unless you break them that is :doh:
The window switch trim (switches are easy to remove), gear surround and the part you're talking about are easier than the instrument cluster and ignition surround, but none of it is that difficult.

BassnmanMike 02-07-2015 01:20 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DeathCougar (Post 1917982)
There are major differences.

I am actually currently only selling the woodgrain as a complete package for $100 shipped

Does the price include all wood trim dash parts as well as window switches?

TheDurk 02-07-2015 01:53 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MONTYMTB (Post 1917905)
I've seen it referred to as several things - radio or climate control surround/bezel/trim - but you may have better luck searching by part number. @TheDurk is the master of part numbers, he may be able to help out. You don't have your year model listed, so be aware that this part for a '96-'98 might be different than the one for '99-'02.

Yeah, '99+ is way different. '98 and earlier has that crap-o drinkholder, you don't want that.

The SR5 (all black) bezel is 55412-35130, goes for $140 on-line dealer:

55412-35130 - Genuine Toyota PANEL SUB-ASSY, INSTRUMENT CLUSTER FINISH, CENTER

The '99 Limited bezel has the wood and goes for $313:

55412-35140 - Genuine Toyota PANEL SUB-ASSY, INSTRUMENT CLUSTER FINISH, CENTER

There is a another Limited bezel, 55412-35200 also $313:

55412-35200 - Genuine Toyota PANEL SUB-ASSY, INSTRUMENT CLUSTER FINISH, CENTER

I think this is 2000-2002. These listings are confusing and I'm not sure what the differences are and what years are what on the wood. I know the wood color changed at one point so it may just be that. If anybody wants a new wood one, check your VIN at a dealer for the correct part number.

But 55412-35130 should be a good number for the all black '99+ type.

DeathCougar 02-07-2015 03:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BassnmanMike (Post 1918042)
Does the price include all wood trim dash parts as well as window switches?

@BassnmanMike Yes, complete woodgrain setup including all pieces

BassnmanMike 02-08-2015 01:37 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DeathCougar (Post 1918370)
@BassnmanMike Yes, complete woodgrain setup including all pieces

Thanks, let me see if I can find a black one, if not then I'll buy yours and paint it black.

gamefreakgc 02-08-2015 02:03 AM

I don't mean to seem cheap... but why not try and repair the chips if you still have them? If you want to paint it black anyway, just use some epoxy or some model glue. I used to have a tube of the model glue laying around used on those plastic car/jet kits, it melts down the plastic and hardens it, making it stronger than the plastic around it.

Then just sand it and paint it black.

Dementedfish 02-08-2015 02:36 AM

You're such a noob Mike :p @BassnmanMike Glad to see you on T4R.

BassnmanMike 02-09-2015 04:32 PM

I considered repairing mine but I actually broke off several pieces and believe repairing it would look like crap so I went to a local salvage yard today and found the entire set of trim pieces in black and because I know the owner I got them for dirt cheap WOO HOO! Time to clean them up and swap out all the fake wood grain with black