Toyota 4Runner Forum - Largest 4Runner Forum

Toyota 4Runner Forum - Largest 4Runner Forum (https://www.toyota-4runner.org/)
-   4th Gen T4Rs (https://www.toyota-4runner.org/4th-gen-t4rs/)
-   -   Lost key replacement (https://www.toyota-4runner.org/4th-gen-t4rs/190347-lost-key-replacement.html)

hikenbike 02-28-2015 12:28 PM

Lost key replacement

I recently lost a key and fob set for my 07 and now I'm down to one set.

The dealer quoted me $40 for the new key, $115 for the new fob, and $125 for reprogramming.

Does that sound normal/standard or outrageous?

Thanks.

4gin007 02-28-2015 12:38 PM

I believe you can buy both from amazon or ebay and I know you can program them yourself at home. The directions are on this forum. I need to get a new key and fob myself. But to answer your question Im not sure if that dealer quote is right on or not. Seems steep to me because I understand the directions to program the key and fob yourself is pretty easy.

Edit: If you buy online make sure you match up the HYQ number on the back of your fob

fdbyrne 02-28-2015 01:15 PM

There is a thread on here somewhere about how to program the truck to recognize the new key. It involves inserting and removing the good key a certain number of times and opening then closing the driver's door a certain number of times. It sounds completely crazy but I can verify that it works. I was surprised.

Update: Here is the thread I was referring to.

http://www.toyota-4runner.org/4th-ge...pped-keys.html

Martinjmpr 02-28-2015 01:22 PM

Ripoff!

$125 to program? :wow:

I think that's called the "sucker fee." :rolleyes:

You can program both the remote and the key yourself in 5 minutes. Also I'll bet if you shop around you can find a fob for less than $100 on eBay.

There are instructions on this board on how to do the reprogramming and they work great.

hikenbike 02-28-2015 02:16 PM

Thanks guys. Was just thinking......do I really need another fob? I don't really use it for anything. If I have a newly programmed key (or two) I should be good, correct?

fdbyrne 02-28-2015 02:18 PM

I only have one fob and it's never bothered me.

BlackWorksInc 02-28-2015 02:21 PM

That's about right for dealer pricing. Genuine Toyota fobs will be in the $50-120 range depending where you find them.

I would recommend spending the money on the key as they will VIN cut the key vs. copying your worn out key at the hardware store.

Martinjmpr 02-28-2015 02:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by fdbyrne (Post 1938608)
I only have one fob and it's never bothered me.

Same here. Owned my 4runner since June 2012 and I've thought about getting another fob but it hasn't been an issue so it's unlikely that I'd spend the time or money.

I guess there are probably some vehicles nowadays where you need the fob in order to drive the car but the 4th gen isn't one of those. You can still use the key to unlock the doors and start the vehicle so even if your fob goes kaput it's not like it will leave you stranded. It's a convenience more than anything else.

hikenbike 02-28-2015 02:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BlackWorksInc (Post 1938610)
That's about right for dealer pricing. Genuine Toyota fobs will be in the $50-120 range depending where you find them.

I would recommend spending the money on the key as they will VIN cut the key vs. copying your worn out key at the hardware store.

Makes complete sense. I'll go get that and then try the programming myself.

KOTOC-79 03-01-2015 12:11 AM

I picked up a Toyota blank for $12.50 and 2 fobs for $37.50 on eBay. Ace hardware cut the key for me ($2)and I followed a you tube vid to program the key and fobs . It was pretty easy.

BlackWorksInc 03-01-2015 02:00 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by KOTOC-79 (Post 1939116)
I picked up a Toyota blank for $12.50 and 2 fobs for $37.50 on eBay. Ace hardware cut the key for me ($2)and I followed a you tube vid to program the key and fobs . It was pretty easy.

Just to point out that if you're going to make a new key for any vehicle, you are doing yourself a disservice if you don't at least buy one and have it cut by a dealer or locksmith (though I don't know how many actually have the tooling for VIN cutting.) Especially for used/high mileage vehicles.

The reason being that you're cutting your brand new key to your old, worn out key which means if your original key is only a few thousands from causing ignition issues, your new key is already pre-worn and wear out just as easily. More often than not when a customer complaints that they can't start the car or unlock the doors its the key that has worn out not the locks.

When you have the dealer cut the key; they'll run the vehicle VIN through Toyota's Database after getting authorization and then get a Key Code to cut the new key as it would be at the factory so it's nice and fresh. Afterwards you can use that key as your Master to copy from. Its a bit expensive upfront, but it pays for itself when you think about it; programming can always be done outside of the dealership through various venues.

YotaRunnerV8 03-01-2015 02:30 AM

I just did this a couple days ago. I ended up buying a chipped key on Amazon for $8 shipped. Then took that key to my local Toyota dealership. The first dealership wanted $85 just cut the key from my VIN! After picking my jaw up off the damn counter, I called another dealership who offered to do it for $20. Took my business to them, programmed the new cut key at home, and now I have a perfectly cut master key for less than $30.

awdjunkies 03-01-2015 11:50 AM

Remember though that, if you do it at home or anywhere else OTHER than the dealership, you need to have the black/original key in order to program it yourself, as the gray/auxiliary/glove box key will not work if you are trying to program a new key.

hikenbike 03-01-2015 01:59 PM

Went to the dealer yesterday and got a VIN cut key for $43. Just went out and programmed it according to the procedure learned here and it worked flawlessly in 2 minutes.

Thanks all!

RedRumt4r 10-02-2017 04:07 PM

Does anyone know where I can get a key fob with a switch blade key built in?