Toyota 4Runner Forum - Largest 4Runner Forum

Toyota 4Runner Forum - Largest 4Runner Forum (https://www.toyota-4runner.org/)
-   Off Topic (https://www.toyota-4runner.org/off-topic/)
-   -   Who are the runners? (https://www.toyota-4runner.org/off-topic/191150-who-runners.html)

Net4n6 03-09-2015 05:58 PM

Who are the runners?

I can't wait for the LA Marathon this weekend.
I've been training for it. I finished two half marathons already. It's hard to believe but running is addictive.
This will be my first one and I already signed up the San Francisco one.
Wish me luck because it will be hot like hell this weekend in LA.:mad2:

MONTYMTB 03-09-2015 07:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Net4n6 (Post 1947400)
I can't wait for the LA Marathon this weekend.
I've been training for it. I finished two half marathons already. It's hard to believe but running is addictive.
This will be my first one and I already signed up the San Francisco one.
Wish me luck because it will be hot like hell this weekend in LA.:mad2:

My thing is mountain biking, but I've recently gotten into trail running. I wouldn't say that I've found it addictive, but I know a lot of people do. Running is tough - I can ride my bike for hours on end, but find it difficult to maintain even a slow pace when running. Good luck to ya.

If you think it's gonna be hot there, head this way around the middle of July! :flamethrwoer2:

AudiTech 03-09-2015 07:55 PM

For organized races I only do 10K or half marathon distances. I've never run an official stand alone marathon, but I have ran 2 marathons - the last legs of Ironman Louisville and Ironman Boulder (after swimming 2.4 miles and riding 112, then you run the 26.2)

ddnww 03-10-2015 03:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MONTYMTB (Post 1947518)
If you think it's gonna be hot there, head this way around the middle of July! :flamethrwoer2:

ha, that's like winter here in Phoenix :naughty:

OP : good luck, much respect for you marathon guys.:bump:

SDr6 03-10-2015 06:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MONTYMTB (Post 1947518)
My thing is mountain biking, but I've recently gotten into trail running. I wouldn't say that I've found it addictive, but I know a lot of people do. Running is tough - I can ride my bike for hours on end, but find it difficult to maintain even a slow pace when running. Good luck to ya.

I had the same problem as you until I got a heart rate monitor strap for my Garmin, it transformed my running, it's a lot easier to keep a slower pace when you can see the effect of running faster than you should be.

Net4n6 03-11-2015 04:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SDr6 (Post 1948689)
I had the same problem as you until I got a heart rate monitor strap for my Garmin, it transformed my running, it's a lot easier to keep a slower pace when you can see the effect of running faster than you should be.

I have the Garmin GPS watch with heart rate monitor. I've not used the heart rate monitor yet.

wnelax04sr5 03-11-2015 07:39 PM

i used to run cross country in high school, then did some 8k's like the manchester road race in CT, now i stick to 5k's and tough mudders because longer distances kill my knee

Jernik 03-12-2015 12:08 PM

My wife ran cross country in High School, and she enjoys distance running. I was always a short distance runner - 400m was my limit and I was pretty much out of juice. I never have liked running long distances, but we compromise and do some 5K's. Neither one of us are fast, but she enjoys it. Our favorite so far has been a night beach run (5K) we did last year in late October. That one I actually liked. The one we ran in June, when it was 80 degrees and something like 90% humidity at 8:00 in the morning... not so much.

Kudos to you that do the marations/triathalons. I would never make it.

turbo8 03-12-2015 01:40 PM

I also prefer mountainbiking, but I do trail run a lot also. I find trail running so much more enjoyable than running on the street\track.

LittleCaesar 03-12-2015 01:51 PM

I try to stay away from participating in sporting events in which the first participant died after completing it.

I do however do some 10k and 5k runs throughout the year. I have a neighbor who is 88 and still runs in a 5k twice a year, as well as doing 25 pushups daily.

Good luck to the OP.

AudiTech 03-16-2015 01:18 AM

So... How'd it go?

Dirty Brigade 03-21-2015 11:55 AM

Ran the land between the lakes trail 50miler last year. That's the furthest I've ever ran but thinking about the strolling Jim 40miler in Nashville. We shall see how training goes.

mxer 03-21-2015 02:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ddnww (Post 1948461)
ha, that's like winter here in Phoenix :naughty:

OP : good luck, much respect for you marathon guys.:bump:

Except you don't have 98% humidity.

HHIRunner 03-23-2015 07:36 AM

Ran Cross Country throughout Middle and High School, never ran an organized marathon but a few of us did run 26.2 miles the Monday after our state meet junior year. Can't run anymore though as my knees are toast after that and 12 years of playing Catcher.

Net4n6 03-08-2019 06:33 PM

I don't believe that this post has been 4 years and I am training for my 5th LA Marathon (March 24th) in a row.