Toyota 4Runner Forum - Largest 4Runner Forum

Toyota 4Runner Forum - Largest 4Runner Forum (https://www.toyota-4runner.org/)
-   Off Topic (https://www.toyota-4runner.org/off-topic/)
-   -   Blind Squirrel brewery build (https://www.toyota-4runner.org/off-topic/196975-blind-squirrel-brewery-build.html)

blind squirrel 05-20-2015 04:04 PM

Blind Squirrel brewery build

3 Attachment(s)
So my wife and I sold our house that we fixed up in a sub-division for a "dream house" in the country. Well not really country, just out of a home owners association and have a little land. We found a place that will work and the best part is there is an unfinished room in the basement that was added on to the house I will finish for my new brewery. I have been home brewing for the last 5-6 years after being taught by a local brew master here in KC. I almost went for a career in Brewing, but the life of a brewer is not made for a family man like I am. Now I work at a microbiology lab so the supplies I need to geek out on beer are easy to come by. The updates will be slow at first, as I have to finish building the rest of my house before my wife will let me finish the brewery. I'm doing all the improvements myself, I'll mix in a few of those photos too.

The all grain brewing setup I currently have is all home made. (I can give pointers if you have questions about making your own.) This rig will brew up to 10 gallons at a time.

Attachment 158262

My filter system for people that want crisp looking beer.

Attachment 158263

And of course the brewery sign so we know where we are.

Attachment 158264

blind squirrel 05-20-2015 04:11 PM

4 Attachment(s)
So I didn't take a super before photo of the room I'm finishing, but the people before us built the walls but didn't pour the floor..... We poured the floor last night. The concrete truck was unable to get around the back of my house, so I had to rent a "Georgia buggy". This thing was awesome to drive!

Attachment 158270

Attachment 158269

Attachment 158268

The final product...

Attachment 158271

t-man 05-20-2015 04:17 PM

Awesome! Subbed!!!

97BlackAckCL 05-21-2015 09:35 AM

Thanks for posting Squirrely, I'm definitely excited to see where this goes! :frisky:

blind squirrel 05-21-2015 10:34 AM

3 Attachment(s)
Now that my brewery is in sight, I'm motivated more than ever to get this project done. It was a full gut to the studs, new plumbing, and electrical. So far I've done it all myself after I get off my normal job as a microbiologist at 5. Usually I work till about 10pm and sleep then do it all over again. Started this Nov 7th. Got a start on finishing the master shower last night.... these pebbles take forever to put down, but look good. My wife is an interior designer so nothing is easy, but worth it.

Attachment 158484

Here is the tongue and grove board I did in the family room. It was just a smooth ceiling with settling cracks in a few spots before I started. First with one coat, then the final product. You can imagine what the whole house looked like just by looking at the previous owners wall color selection...lol. One wall that is no longer there was painted with chalk board paint. Little did they know when you write on it the chalk leaves intentions in the drywall.

Attachment 158485

Attachment 158486

blind squirrel 06-04-2015 04:27 PM

3 Attachment(s)
A couple of updates on the progress. I ordered a new "banjo" burner for the brewery because this house is out of the city and on propane, my old natural gas burner would not work. I have to make a 15.5 gallon keg of beer for my family reunion in august, so I have to get started on that. I will brew next weekend and take a few shots.

Here is the main bathroom tile, vanity, and my daughter's leg. Attachment 160458

Guest shower
Attachment 160460

The fedex man dropped of my new all glass shower door too. 69 lbs of 3/8 inch glass. Locally the cheapest price I could find was $550. Got it on ebay for $320 shipped to my door... crazy.

Since this is a 4runner forum I guess I will post a photo of my latest upgrade to the runner. The ad said I will instantly get at least 10 more mpgs with this kit....:whistle:
Attachment 160459

Jernik 06-05-2015 10:06 AM

Your picture on the most awesome "wheel burro" ever makes me sad... I remember when I used to have land, trees, no HOA, and a decent sized garage. Sigh... AND you have a brewery going in the basement! So envious right now. You a lucky man :thumb: (until winter :laugh:). Don't get me wrong, I don't have it bad, just not quite where I want to be! :cheers:

blind squirrel 06-05-2015 12:13 PM

1 Attachment(s)
I hear ya about the winter part... being this far out the plow trucks get here about 2 o'clock in the afternoon...if ever. We should be okay, my wife will be driving an awd RDX shortly and I get the runner.

I did have a 50 foot maple tree fall in the back yard a few days ago. Real bummer, because of all the rain we have been getting in Kansas right now she just fell over with a good gust of wind. The good news is I called a saw mill and they want to come get it and give me 1k! I think I'm going to tell them $900 and I want a piece for a mantel on my fireplace.

Attachment 160558

Jernik 06-08-2015 10:01 AM

That section of your yard reminds me of part of ours. We had 4 acres, 2.5 to 3 of them wooded. Had a little tornado come through, and we lost about 20 trees in the area we mowed, around 100 total, a lot of them were pretty big. House was OK, although we got a new roof out of it. Nobody wanted any of our trees though (mostly ash and cottonwood, some cherry, sugar maple, and a couple small walnut) - I guess due to the tornado possibly messing up the fibers in it? I dunno, but none of the mills were interested. I can see why they wouldn't want to bother with the cottonwood, but thought they might want the ash/cherry/walnut. Thankfully we had neighbors to help, and they got some nice firewood for their work. We didn't have a fireplace at the time, but the firepit out back burned well for a couple years!

We'd have cut the whole 4 acres down and retired if we could have gotten $900 a tree out of it! lol

Cool idea about using some of it for a mantle. :thumb3:

blind squirrel 06-16-2015 10:23 AM

3 Attachment(s)
Quick progress update. I got the master bathroom painted, tiled, and grouted the shower this weekend. Just need to caulk around the edges and I can try out the dual shower heads! I have the glass shower door ready to go in tonight that required I drill 8 holes through the porcelain tile to mount it to the wall. Not too bad, but paying 20 dollars for a diamond coated 1/4 inch hole saw that I will only use once in my life sucked.

Back to Brewing, I'll be brewing 15 gallons of beer on Friday in preparation for my wife's side family reunion in aug. It will be nice to just sit around and brew for a day, this working 7-11:30 everyday is starting to get old. :cheers:

Attachment 161849

Attachment 161850

Attachment 161851

blind squirrel 06-16-2015 02:34 PM

2 Attachment(s)
Oh yeah... Can't forget the Ikea kitchen cabinets! Only came in 96 boxes...lol. All joking aside, they turned out really well and to my surprise there were no pieces missing. Should have the counter tops in 2 weeks. I'm expecting to move in shortly after the counter tops get installed. Then the real fun begins and I can build the brewery. :beer:

Attachment 161869

Attachment 161870

wadle5 06-16-2015 03:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by blind squirrel (Post 2038081)
Oh yeah... Can't forget the Ikea kitchen cabinets! Only came in 96 boxes...lol. All joking aside, they turned out really well and to my surprise there were no pieces missing. Should have the counter tops in 2 weeks. I'm expecting to move in shortly after the counter tops get installed. Then the real fun begins and I can build the brewery. :beer:

Attachment 161869

Attachment 161870

Killer ceilings. The rest of it looks great too! Cheers!

blind squirrel 07-20-2015 05:19 PM

4 Attachment(s)
I guess an update is in order.

The counter tops have now been installed, went with Quarts and looks pretty good.

Attachment 165826

I cut the mantle log from the maple tree that fell in the backyard... ran in to a few "new friends". 6 foot black rat snake, which I'm okay with... but the Carolina wolf spider as big as my hand........ yikes.

Attachment 165828
Attachment 165829

And the last piece of drywall went up over the fireplace. Next is the stone.

Attachment 165830

Thinking about a month away from moving in, then I can finish up on my husbandly duties and finally start making beer on a large scale. Any ideas/suggestions are welcome. :beer:

Jernik 07-21-2015 12:13 PM

Can't wait to see the mantle. And the brewery!

Only suggestion I can think of; get some good in-wall speakers for your sound system (or at least wire for on-wall speakers). Good ones can be pricey, but paired with a sub they sound great and save a ton of floor space. Pre-run wiring in walls so you don't have to try and hide them later. You could also plan out audio for different zones throughout the house/porch/deck/bar and pre-wire if you need to add on to the system gradually as the budget allows. Probably should have mentioned this before you finished the dry-wall...

wadle5 10-09-2015 01:54 PM

Probably busy building out the brewery.

But really what are the updates now????