Toyota 4Runner Forum - Largest 4Runner Forum

Toyota 4Runner Forum - Largest 4Runner Forum (https://www.toyota-4runner.org/)
-   New Members (https://www.toyota-4runner.org/new-members/)
-   -   New member, help! (https://www.toyota-4runner.org/new-members/197444-new-member-help.html)

Strider21 05-27-2015 11:51 AM

New member, help!

Hey guys, new member from Texas here! I come looking for some help and advice.

Details-2011 SR5 4WD 6cyl

Took it to dealership last week for normal oil change and inspection, battery tested bad. Wanted a second opinion so I took it to O'Reilly and same result but also found out the alternator was testing bad.

Took it to Autozone to get a Duralast and checked one more time with same result. They suggested trying to get warranty replacement but alternator is 3yr/36k. Dealer is throwing out $800 for a new alternator, I know I can replace it myself for $200.

Question is, has this happened to anybody else? Do I need to check something different? Seems very early to have both of these issues at once.

Shaolin 05-27-2015 01:22 PM

Since it's a 2011 and you don't know any previous history about the vehicle. The list of problems could be endless. It sounds like natural wear and tear. Replace the battery and alternator. Problem solved. If the battery and alternator get tested again after being replaced and both are bad then you have some issues.

NoLight 05-27-2015 03:03 PM

No idea but welcome!!!

Strider21 05-29-2015 01:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Shaolin (Post 2020838)
Since it's a 2011 and you don't know any previous history about the vehicle. The list of problems could be endless. It sounds like natural wear and tear. Replace the battery and alternator. Problem solved. If the battery and alternator get tested again after being replaced and both are bad then you have some issues.

Was bought new from dealership. The battery I can understand only lasting a few years in Texas, alternator though seems rare.

HerT4R 05-29-2015 02:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Shaolin (Post 2020838)

He has owned the vehicle since new as he indicates in the post below

Quote:

Originally Posted by Strider21 (Post 2022854)
Was bought new from dealership. The battery I can understand only lasting a few years in Texas, alternator though seems rare.

are you running a dual battery set up? i heard some rumors that the stock alternator is not beefy enough to charge two batteries.

also, parts wear out. you can get a lifetime alternator replacement from autozone and keep on trucking and if it goes out again you can just return yours and get another fo free!

GHARP57 05-29-2015 02:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Strider21 (Post 2020756)

Took it to dealership last week for normal oil change and inspection, battery tested bad. Wanted a second opinion so I took it to O'Reilly and same result but also found out the alternator was testing bad.

Took it to Autozone to get a Duralast and checked one more time with same result. They suggested trying to get warranty replacement but alternator is 3yr/36k. Dealer is throwing out $800 for a new alternator, I know I can replace it myself for $200.

Question is, has this happened to anybody else? Do I need to check something different? Seems very early to have both of these issues at once.

The factory alternators are 667.80 and 737.11 from Toyota they are not messing with you on that. USA industries makes a pretty good alternator also check denso

Shaolin 05-29-2015 02:23 PM

My mistake. :cheers:

Strider21 05-30-2015 09:48 PM

Looks like a Denso is about $147, $60 for core on rock auto. I think I may replace the battery first just to see if I get any change off the alternator.

Jim82 05-31-2015 05:34 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Strider21 (Post 2020756)

My 2010 alternator went out in 2013. As did the battery. My alternator was replaced as it was under warranty still, and the dealership covered the battery. Zero problems the last year and a half of having the new alternator. It took them over a week to get in a new alternator, no idea where it came in from or why it took so long.

edilbertozaldivar 05-31-2015 08:28 AM

Hello guys Im Cuban and just arrive in country. I bought My first 2001 Toyota 2001 and I need to know if this kind of car use distribution chain or the other way. Sorry for My poor english. Is necesary to change for safety reasons. It means, if the engine could have problems