Toyota 4Runner Forum - Largest 4Runner Forum

Toyota 4Runner Forum - Largest 4Runner Forum (https://www.toyota-4runner.org/)
-   4th Gen T4Rs (https://www.toyota-4runner.org/4th-gen-t4rs/)
-   -   Anyone else think this is annoying? (https://www.toyota-4runner.org/4th-gen-t4rs/197470-anyone-else-think-annoying.html)

Brian3676 05-27-2015 03:31 PM

Anyone else think this is annoying?

Love my 4Runner, but it drives me crazy how every time I get into the truck the HVAC controls automatically default to air recirculation. I like to always bring in outside fresh air and every time I turn the truck off and get back in it always switchs back to recirculation automatically.

Anyone know a way around it, or how to make it stay on its last setting when it was shut off?

paperchasin 05-27-2015 03:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Brian3676 (Post 2020968)
Love my 4Runner, but it drives me crazy how every time I get into the truck the HVAC controls automatically default to air recirculation. I like to always bring in outside fresh air and every time I turn the truck off and get back in it always switchs back to recirculation automatically.

Anyone know a way around it, or how to make it stay on its last setting when it was shut off?

I've only had my runner for a couple of months and noticed this too...It is quite annoying!

nevada 05-27-2015 03:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Brian3676 (Post 2020968)

it is irritating. but I think mine does the opposite, at least it used to. it resets to fresh air. in the mornings when its freezing cold, I don't want outside air coming in..

not sure what I have done, but the last few months, it has stayed on recirculate...
maybe it has to do with the weather/air temps?

yosh2000 05-27-2015 05:44 PM

it does have to do with air temps. if it is warmer outside that you have it set at in the info display, it will start in recirc. if it is cooler outside than you have it set at, it will bring outside air.

for example, if i have it set at "LO" in the info display and it is 95* out, it will start in recirc. if it was 30* out, it would start in outside air mode

or at least this is what i have been able to make sense of after owning it through a winter

progress4m 05-27-2015 06:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by yosh2000 (Post 2021131)
it does have to do with air temps. if it is warmer outside that you have it set at in the info display, it will start in recirc. if it is cooler outside than you have it set at, it will bring outside air.

for example, if i have it set at "LO" in the info display and it is 95* out, it will start in recirc. if it was 30* out, it would start in outside air mode

That is correct, that is how it works;

Xanderith 05-27-2015 06:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by yosh2000 (Post 2021131)

or at least this is what i have been able to make sense of after owning it through a winter

That is not exactly correct, it depends on outside air temp, set temp, and set fan speed from what i can tell. I normally leave mine set at about 68 and fan speed 2 and when i get in after work and the display shows 88 for outside temp it will start on fresh where I left it, if I move it up to speed 3 it will kick over to recirc.

Xrider237 05-27-2015 07:43 PM

to be honest ive had my 'runner for 5 yrs and never noticed this..i just get in and set whatever settings i want

*it is interesting how far things have come to where these types of things that are aggravating to some.... its a testament to how good these vehicles are where these are the gripes people have with them

CXS 05-27-2015 08:10 PM

Some people appear to see this type of thing as a hardship.

C'mon people - push the button and move on.

Gatafly 05-28-2015 07:51 AM

It is simple, but annoying. In the winter you do NOT want recirculation because your windows will fog up. In the summer you want recirculation when the AC is on so it is more effective and efficient. I will watch mine more closely, but I don't think it exactly follows the guidelines as stated above.

iBison 05-28-2015 09:20 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by progress4m (Post 2021157)
That is correct, that is how it works;

It would be nice if it only did that when the AC was on. When you roll with the windows down it shouldn't be on recirc.

ChaosStarter 05-28-2015 09:33 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gatafly (Post 2021604)
It is simple, but annoying. In the winter you do NOT want recirculation because your windows will fog up. In the summer you want recirculation when the AC is on so it is more effective and efficient. I will watch mine more closely, but I don't think it exactly follows the guidelines as stated above.

The problem is that (and Toyota has put out a TSB for this) is that when you use the A/C, you obviously get a lot of moisture build up in the Evaporator area. When the car is off and its set to recirculate, you don't have outside air flowing through the unit to help dry it out and minimize the smell. You tend to get a wet, mildew odor when you turn the system on. Sure it'll go away once you start driving or turn on the A/C, but you'd be surprised how many people come into the dealership and complain about it.

blackoutt 05-28-2015 09:56 AM

I did notice the recir is always on now once the temps started getting hotter outside. This totally makes sense. I hate how I have to turn AC off after I hit "Auto" if I want to run in "economy mode" but at least we have option compared to other vehicles.

Parker1938 05-28-2015 10:17 AM

In the humid south Louisiana climate I'm in I leave the A/C and the recirculate always on, even when I want heat. That way the cabin air stays dry. I would love to live in a climate that is dry enough not to have to do that. Oh well.

blind squirrel 05-28-2015 10:41 AM

If it's anything like Lexus, the dealer can change that for you. My GS 430 used to do that until my service adviser plugged a computer into the car and unchecked a box on the personal settings screen. I would think our runners are the same. Lexus called those settings "c best" I believe. I don't get to drive my runner so I'm not sure if it's on every time or not.

Martinjmpr 05-28-2015 12:53 PM

IIRC you can remedy this by turning off the "auto" feature. Then the HVAC should stay in whatever position it was when the vehicle was turned off.