Toyota 4Runner Forum - Largest 4Runner Forum

Toyota 4Runner Forum - Largest 4Runner Forum (https://www.toyota-4runner.org/)
-   3rd gen T4Rs (https://www.toyota-4runner.org/3rd-gen-t4rs/)
-   -   Today is the day!! (https://www.toyota-4runner.org/3rd-gen-t4rs/197978-today-day.html)

sport05 06-03-2015 10:22 AM

Today is the day!!

1 Attachment(s)
Today is the day I am finally ordering new suspension for my 4runner. Will you guys please look over my order and make sure this should be good to go. The coil kit comes with front diff drop kit.

I was going to go with the Toytec Boss or Ultimate but would really like to save the money. Should I go that route instead? Is there anything I need to order? I know some people suggest new UCAs but I talked to my local shop and they said I shouldn't need them for this set-up?

I am 98% road driver. Should this be a decent on-road set-up?

Your help is greatly appreciated

3bears 06-03-2015 10:28 AM

I have not done a lift so no expert
but I thought when you went to 3 inches you needed to extend brake lines, panhard and a few other things

I could be wrong, im still learning

IsaiahC 06-03-2015 10:34 AM

You might be better off running TRD Tundra springs up front and OME 906s in the back. Some say you can get the TRD springs for as little as $90 a pair.
Speedy runs TRD Tundras up front and OME 906s in the rear. As far as those springs, if it truly gives 3", then you'll need a diff drop. However, I don't think OME kits are known to give the full amount advertised.

Speedy's Lift:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m9-0hMzv_RU

BrianSD_42 06-03-2015 10:44 AM

you should consider a Sonoran Steel lift kit. you get more including the diff drop and panhandle bar. It is about $1250 for the SS 1.2 kit.

Call Steve up and talk to him.

You also get real Toyota parts and a rig that is of road capable yet pleasant to drive on the roads. I also do 95% street driving but i take my rig out on real trails as well.

I have heard that the rear Bilstiens aren't that great and i wouldn't recommend them. Get the LC shocks instead.

I don't mean anything against Toytech but you aren't even buying their product. Their main product is their custom suspension kits but you are buying just OME and Bilstien parts. I think they only sell those parts to get more traffic to their website and also because many can't afford a full $1500+ Toytech Kit.

if you were buying the actual Toytech product then i would not recommend calling Steve but in this case you aren't and i think he sells better coil and shock kit.

Also read this ... lots of good info
http://www.toyota-4runner.org/3rd-ge...tion-faqs.html

BrianSD_42 06-03-2015 10:51 AM

also this is a must read:

http://www.toyota-4runner.org/3rd-ge...iew%2A%2A.html

:)

sport05 06-03-2015 11:18 AM

Yea I like the idea of the TRD Tundra coils and 5100s I just dont have the resources, tools, space, etc... to do the lift myself.

I am having a shop do it and am afraid it would cost me quite a bit more to have them do all that, even if they would do it at all.

Maybe I would be better off getting what ToyTec makes themselves (the Boss or Ultimate).

I also contemplated the OME full suspension setup from Wheelers Offroad.

OME Complete Suspension System for 96-02 4Runner

This kit comes with SS extended brake lines. Is this a necessity for a 2 in lift? How hard is the install on them?

AZBub 06-03-2015 11:27 AM

I was going to go OME springs and 5100's as well but after reading too much here I have decided to go SS 1.2 or ultimate. I figure I may as well spend the cash up front on a good set up so I'm not changing everything out later and spending more money. I do like that Sonoran Steel offer up all the brackets, pan hard etc in their package whereas the Toytech it's an additional cost.

From what I have read here it seems the OME complete setup is very stiff, I would do some searching on that subject.

Wikki 06-03-2015 11:34 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BrianSD_42 (Post 2026841)

+1 on this!!!! i used it alot when doing my lift and did the same one as the dirt duster build that Rickashay did and love it :)

JayRolla 06-03-2015 11:37 AM

Not sure if money is the issue but I would go with the coilovers up front with the bilstein shocks and the superflex or LC coils out back. IMO its the best overall setup. The TRD's up front dont give the lift I like with added bumper and winch.

sport05 06-03-2015 12:54 PM

Ok I just talked to one of the reps with Toytec.

I think he has convinced me to go with the Boss with the 550 lb Eibach coils for the front. In the rear I am going to go with the OME 60073 shocks and the Toytec 9602RC 3'in coils.

Said this would give me the best overall on-road ride. Said the brake lines should be fine as long as I'm not really stretching offroad.

What are you guys opinion on UCAs. Should I go with aftermarket or will I be fine with stock? I do have and will run the spidertrax 1.25 spacers. I could definitely handle saving the 400 dollars but want to be set up right.

Thanks!

BrianSD_42 06-03-2015 01:08 PM

how many miles on your stock UCAs?

I'd say take the $400 and put it in your front end lift.

What size tires will you run?

What wheels?

285s and wheel spacers are not a good combination. I KNOW from first hand and I am far from the only one.

You will hit the fenders at full flex and bend them causing body damage AND you will rub bad on the pinch welds. All of this is BC of spacers plus 285s.

sport05 06-03-2015 01:21 PM

I have some 2015 SR5 wheels off a 4runner i plan on running. I was thinking 275 70 17.

Good to know about the 285s.

The UCAs have 155000

sport05 06-03-2015 02:24 PM

Do the 285s run well without the spacers on this setup?

jstim 06-03-2015 02:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sport05 (Post 2026869)
Yea I like the idea of the TRD Tundra coils and 5100s I just dont have the resources, tools, space, etc... to do the lift myself.

I am having a shop do it and am afraid it would cost me quite a bit more to have them do all that, even if they would do it at all.

Maybe I would be better off getting what ToyTec makes themselves (the Boss or Ultimate).

I also contemplated the OME full suspension setup from Wheelers Offroad.

OME Complete Suspension System for 96-02 4Runner

This kit comes with SS extended brake lines. Is this a necessity for a 2 in lift? How hard is the install on them?

As one of the guys around here that has the SS 1.2 let me say this man. The SS 1.2 is completely worth it imho. The LC shocks have been great, its an easy install. you don't even need anything more than basic tools, 2 jack stands and a jack. YES THE REAR BRAKE LINE IS A MUST! Otherwise its going to pull on that rubber once you hit full droop. Just my .02 man, but I have found that since having mine on, its been great, and the customer service/support was irreplaceable.

Supermoney 06-03-2015 02:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sport05 (Post 2027036)
Do the 285s run well without the spacers on this setup?

285s are more about wheel backspacing.

OEM 3rd gen wheels are 4.625" I believe.

4" Backspacing is ideal for 285 and stock UCA.

I am running 285s with 5100s all around, TRD up front, OME 890 in the rear with no rubbing. Obviously you need to pound the pinch weld over and then do a tiny trim on the front bumper (not noticeable unless you point it out).