Toyota 4Runner Forum - Largest 4Runner Forum

Toyota 4Runner Forum - Largest 4Runner Forum (https://www.toyota-4runner.org/)
-   TSB (https://www.toyota-4runner.org/tsb/)
-   -   2014 Driver’s Seat Popping, Creaking, Squeaking (https://www.toyota-4runner.org/tsb/203704-2014-driver’s-seat-popping-creaking-squeaking.html)

Speedy Gomez 08-12-2015 09:24 PM

2014 Driver’s Seat Popping, Creaking, Squeaking

I am having the same damn problem it started 2 weeks ago 4runner has 27697 miles on it. :mad2:

T-SB-0051-12 - Driver’s Seat Popping/Creaking/Squeaking From Lumbar Area (March 1, 2012)
Some 2010 – 2011 4Runner vehicles may exhibit a condition where the driver’s side seat back lumbar area makes a pop, squeak, or creak noise while driving. The condition may become more evident when driving on rough or uneven road surfaces or while moving around in the seat, especially if the lumbar support is fully extended. Replace the front seat back spring assembly to address this condition.

Speedy Gomez 08-17-2015 11:21 PM

Tip!

Guys here is a tip: what I did was extend my seat (lumbar) all the way to the back, where I would usually have it, since I am 6 foot. I then moved it half an inch forward, and now it is gone. No more popping, squeaking, or creaking from the lumbar area anymore, even though I wish I had it all the way extended, but that is not a bother to me. Now I am a happy camper! :dance:

Bpogue 03-25-2016 08:56 AM

2015 having same seat popping

My 2015 SR5P started having this issue, does anyone with a recent model other than Speedy have this problem too?

It's a popping in the driver seat lumbar area when you move around the seat (bumps, turns, heavy acceleration)- pretty annoying. It's somewhat intermittent, but I'd say present 70% of the time when driving. I've got my 20k service coming up so I'll have the dealership look at it if it continues, I'm sure it won't be happening when they take a peek. Just curious if others with a 2014+ have experienced this.

5ontheFloor 03-31-2016 03:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bpogue (Post 2311015)
My 2015 SR5P started having this issue, does anyone with a recent model other than Speedy have this problem too?

It's a popping in the driver seat lumbar area when you move around the seat (bumps, turns, heavy acceleration)- pretty annoying. It's somewhat intermittent, but I'd say present 70% of the time when driving. I've got my 20k service coming up so I'll have the dealership look at it if it continues, I'm sure it won't be happening when they take a peek. Just curious if others with a 2014+ have experienced this.

My 2015 TE has been doing this from the drivers seat when vehicle in motion. I can recreate it by taking a slow wide turn. I will do it with the AC and audio off. Back seat does it too when I have passengers. Gonna have stealership look at it on my next service. Its annoying for sure

Bpogue 04-23-2016 10:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 5ontheFloor (Post 2317442)
My 2015 TE has been doing this from the drivers seat when vehicle in motion. I can recreate it by taking a slow wide turn. I will do it with the AC and audio off. Back seat does it too when I have passengers. Gonna have stealership look at it on my next service. Its annoying for sure

I just went and had my 20k service at the dealer and mentioned it to the tech. They looked and said it's due to the lumbar support air bladder slightly shifting when it's partially filled. According to them there's nothing they can do about it, replacing it likely would create the same problem with the new bladder so it's not warranteed. That kind of makes sense, but it's annoying when it does happen....glad I'm not the only one. Let me know if you get a different answer 5onthefloor

5ontheFloor 04-24-2016 12:11 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bpogue (Post 2340755)
I just went and had my 20k service at the dealer and mentioned it to the tech. They looked and said it's due to the lumbar support air bladder slightly shifting when it's partially filled. According to them there's nothing they can do about it, replacing it likely would create the same problem with the new bladder so it's not warranteed. That kind of makes sense, but it's annoying when it does happen....glad I'm not the only one. Let me know if you get a different answer 5onthefloor

About to get my 30k maintenance done. I'll update when I hear what they got to say. I'm gonna try to see if deflating lumbar support helps. That does not explain the backseat tho...

5ontheFloor 05-26-2016 01:51 PM

Just had 30k service done. Turns out the hinges in the back seat were the cause of the noise I was hearing. Dealer adjusted and lubricated the hinges.

Capq45 09-07-2016 02:10 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Speedy Gomez (Post 2097830)
Guys here is a tip: what I did was extend my seat (lumbar) all the way to the back, where I would usually have it, since I am 6 foot. I then moved it half an inch forward, and now it is gone. No more popping, squeaking, or creaking from the lumbar area anymore, even though I wish I had it all the way extended, but that is not a bother to me. Now I am a happy camper! :dance:

Wow, wish I read this a loong time ago. Was getting worse and worse. Had a buddy drive it to hear it, thinking possible a lose seat bracket, he came back and didn't hear it. He's shorter than my 6'2" height and needed to move the seat forward.

So I pushed the bottom slider button forward for a split second and the sound seems to be gone now.

Only drove it 4 miles since then so it'll get tested out this weekend.

PMHSLight 10-05-2016 03:34 PM

thx for the info

dcoultis86 10-06-2016 01:37 PM

I have been having this exact issue with my 2016 4runner with 7500 km's on it. It started doing this a couple months ago, I took it in to one of my local Toyota dealerships (Country Hills Toyota in Calgary AB) and they said it was "normal" and they all do this. I then brought the issue up with Toyota Canada and they arranged for me to take it into another dealer. I took it into Charlesglen Toyota this past Tuesday and the service manager ordered a new complete seat frame that they are going to install to try and get rid of the issue. I am a little worried now after reading this thread that this will not solve the problem since you guys are experiencing the same issue as well.

tgmoore71 11-06-2016 06:13 AM

My 2015 sr5p has the drivers seat pop, I thought it was me being a fat ass but with only 9,000 miles I think something else is going on. Mine started around 3-4,000 miles.

dcoultis86 11-15-2016 10:54 AM

So I ended up having my seat frame replaced by Toyota. So far the problem has been resolved, but we will see if it comes back after some Km's like it did when the truck was new.

LandCruiser 01-30-2017 06:59 AM

Are any of you fat bastards?

Mine does it with my 250# ass in the front seat, but not with smaller drivers.

Norcal_bagger 09-26-2017 12:09 PM

I'm glad I found this thread! So I'm not crazy.......my seat does this too, seems to do it in all positions and with/without lumbar inflated.

Has anyone found a permanent fix for this?

Hltoppr 11-28-2017 04:44 PM

My 2016 TRDP goes in for its 25K oil change tomorrow...and to have the crazy creaking, popping seat looked at.

No back/forward/lumbar adjustments make any difference.

I'll report what my dealer finds.

-H-