Toyota 4Runner Forum - Largest 4Runner Forum

Toyota 4Runner Forum - Largest 4Runner Forum (https://www.toyota-4runner.org/)
-   4th Gen T4Rs (https://www.toyota-4runner.org/4th-gen-t4rs/)
-   -   Rebuild my current CV axles or buy used oem and rebuild them? (https://www.toyota-4runner.org/4th-gen-t4rs/205978-rebuild-my-current-cv-axles-buy-used-oem-rebuild-them.html)

mrwinkle13 09-16-2015 08:38 AM

Rebuild my current CV axles or buy used oem and rebuild them?

Okay I currently have a torn boot on my driver side and it only clicks when the wheel is turned to the max. Normal turning and daily driving it is fine and silent.
1)Is my cv axle okay to just regrease and reboot or should i by used oem cv axles from a wrecked 4runner and just regrease and reboot them?
2) Should i do both sides? my boot only got ripped because i ran over a downed barbed wire fence when i was doing some trail riding.
3)I plan on lifting my rig so does anyone know where i can purchase better boots for my rebuild?
thanks for the advice in advanced.

NuclearN8 09-16-2015 08:40 AM

cvj remans with red silicone boots.

toy4xchris 09-16-2015 10:02 AM

for the price of new replacement cv's I just bought a new aftermarket one and kept the old torn boot one as a spare.

mrwinkle13 09-16-2015 10:11 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by toy4xchris (Post 2125520)
for the price of new replacement cv's I just bought a new aftermarket one and kept the old torn boot one as a spare.

I have read a lot of members having problems with aftermarkets. So that's why I want to steer clear of them.
I really want to know if I can just rebuild mine, messy yes but it will be cheaper, and I will have peace of mind.I would have done it all ready but the clicking has me with 2nd thoughts.

mrwinkle13 09-16-2015 10:12 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by NuclearN8 (Post 2125464)
cvj remans with red silicone boots.

Looking for the cheaper OEM route, I have heard of them but a bit pricey, will you them as last resort.

toy4xchris 09-16-2015 10:24 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mrwinkle13 (Post 2125530)
I have read a lot of members having problems with aftermarkets. So that's why I want to steer clear of them.
I really want to know if I can just rebuild mine, messy yes but it will be cheaper, and I will have peace of mind.I would have done it all ready but the clicking has me with 2nd thoughts.

I have yet to have any problems with mine yet and haven't really been easy on it. Got mine from Rock auto the one with the HD boots.

easyc 09-16-2015 10:30 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mrwinkle13 (Post 2125530)

I recently changed my inner and outer boots on the passenger side because the inner boot was torn. As your joint is already clicking it means it is already bad. Don't worry, it won't fail in a hurry. Due to the amount of work involved in changing the boots and the fact that your CV is already clicking I would change the CV.

radlynx 09-16-2015 01:54 PM

1.yes, you can just regrease and reboot them. the clicking sound could be because it's out of grease.
2. you should reboot both the inner and outer since you are already working on it. do it all at once.
3. the oem boot are pretty good.

Quote:

Originally Posted by mrwinkle13 (Post 2125463)
Okay I currently have a torn boot on my driver side and it only clicks when the wheel is turned to the max. Normal turning and daily driving it is fine and silent.
1)Is my cv axle okay to just regrease and reboot or should i by used oem cv axles from a wrecked 4runner and just regrease and reboot them?
2) Should i do both sides? my boot only got ripped because i ran over a downed barbed wire fence when i was doing some trail riding.
3)I plan on lifting my rig so does anyone know where i can purchase better boots for my rebuild?
thanks for the advice in advanced.

macgyver_ga 09-16-2015 03:20 PM

You might be able to save some money buy rebuilding and replacing the boot(s). However from a time, effort, and mess perspective, it's worth it to just replace the entire cv axle with an aftermarket reman then give them your core.

I used to own a turbo Honda and would sometimes snap cv axles. I took full advantage of the lifetime warranty on advance auto parts axles. Also got pretty good at changing cv axles out, sometimes in the parking lot of the auto parts store.