Toyota 4Runner Forum - Largest 4Runner Forum

Toyota 4Runner Forum - Largest 4Runner Forum (https://www.toyota-4runner.org/)
-   Problems & Warranty Issues (https://www.toyota-4runner.org/problems-and-warranty-issues/)
-   -   Auto window roll down feature stopped working (https://www.toyota-4runner.org/problems-and-warranty-issues/20637-auto-window-roll-down-feature-stopped-working.html)

snorto 07-03-2006 04:13 PM

Auto window roll down feature stopped working

Yesterday I disconnected the battery to wire up my driving lights on my '04 SR5. Today I had to reset the usual stuff - clock, radio presets, etc - but something else unexpectedly stopped working as well. The driver-side window no longer rolls up or down automatically. I can still roll it up & down by keeping my finger on the button, but the automatic feature doesn't work. What's up with that??? Is there something I can do to re-set this?

toto 07-03-2006 04:40 PM

Yes, you need to reset the one-touch features on the power windows and moonroof when you disconnect the battery. The windows use less power to close these days (so they're less likely to crush hands or fingers), so they need to "remember" where the closed position is.

To reset the driver's side power window auto-close:
1. Push down and hold the driver’s door power window switch to completely open the window.
2. Pull and hold up the driver’s door power window switch until the window closes. Continue holding the switch for approximately one second until the switch changes from blinking to a constant illumination.
3. Check for proper operation of the “one–touch open/close” by pushing the switch briefly to the “DOWN” and “UP” positions.

To reset the moonroof one-touch operation:
With ignition switch in the “ON” position, do the following:
1. Push and hold the “TILT UP” side of the switch until the moon roof tilts all the way up and then tilts down slightly (approximately 10 mm [0.39 in.] at the rear).
2. Check for proper operation of the “one–touch slide open/close” and “one–touch tilt up/down” functions by pushing the switch briefly to the “SLIDE OPEN” and
“TILT UP” positions.

To reset the rear window operation:
1. Turn ignition switch to the “ON” position.
2. Push the back door power window switch to the “DOWN” side to open the window.
3. Push and hold the back door power window switch to the “UP” side until the window closes. Continue holding it for approximately 1 second.
4. Check for proper operation of the “one-touch open/close” functions by pushing the switch briefly to the “DOWN” and “UP” position.

The compass will also need to be reset if you disconnect the battery. Instructions for that are in the Owners Manual. You need to look at a map of the country to determine which zone you're in, and the instuructions are slightly different for 2003-2006 vs. 2007-2009.

snorto 07-03-2006 07:17 PM

That did it. Thanks a million!!!

daleg13 07-30-2006 10:35 PM

Yes, thanks a lot. Same thing just happened to me. Couldn't find anything in the manual about it but I was sure someone here had seen this before.

Sharps 03-06-2009 12:30 PM

Perfect! I was all jilted because I didn't know how to reset it in the rain 2 days ago.

owen4runner 07-28-2009 01:22 AM

"To reset the driver's side power window auto-close:
1. Push down and hold the driver"

At what position does my ignition has to be in to do this? None of my Auto roll up/down on the driver side and rear windows seem to work after I disconnected the battery. Also the remote rear window roll down function does not work. I pushed down the "driver" button for a minute in key in/out/On/Acc/Start positions to no avail.

toto 07-28-2009 08:31 AM

Sorry. It looks like the post got truncated by the forum upgrade. I have fixed it.

owen4runner 07-28-2009 11:31 AM

Thanx. I'll try them on tonite. Another reason why I love this forum.

Cracka 02-21-2010 04:38 PM

Thank you.

T4RME 04-22-2010 12:20 AM

Please sticky this - :nicethread:

Uneek 04-22-2010 01:51 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by T4RME (Post 551859)
Please sticky this - :nicethread:

Done. Added it to the sticky list.

T4RME 04-24-2010 04:53 PM

Did the passenger side have the auto up down as well or am I imagining that it did?:snacker: I say imagine because I only had the 2008 for less than a week before I disconnected the battery and lost the settings...

Uneek 04-25-2010 05:48 PM

The 4th gen only has auto up/down, open/close on the driver's and hatch window, and moonroof (if equipped).

The 3rd gen (all or the later ones) have auto for the passenger side window as well.

gaterose 05-08-2010 12:12 AM

I'm having a similar problem with my 4runner but following the steps doesn't seem to fix it. My AUTO light blinks constantly when driving, but never blinks when I follow the reset instructions. After the first reset attempt, I thought it was the LED, replaced the LED, didn't help (I know the LED wouldn't explain the auto function not working but I didn't think about it at the time and only noticed the blinking light). Bought a whole new switch assembly, connected it today, same thing. Tried following the reset after disconnecting and reconnecting the battery, the reset worked successfully for the sunroof and rear window, but I can't seem do anything with the drivers window. Any ideas what it could be? I tried the reset instructions posted here about 10 times before I gave up and posted this

riverider 08-30-2010 04:12 PM

Great helpful post.:)