Toyota 4Runner Forum - Largest 4Runner Forum

Toyota 4Runner Forum - Largest 4Runner Forum (https://www.toyota-4runner.org/)
-   5th gen T4Rs (https://www.toyota-4runner.org/5th-gen-t4rs/)
-   -   ARB vs Smittybilt Awning (https://www.toyota-4runner.org/5th-gen-t4rs/209215-arb-vs-smittybilt-awning.html)

fmulino 11-03-2015 12:29 PM

ARB vs Smittybilt Awning

Does anyone know if it is really worth paying the extra $100 for the ARB awning? I'm looking at getting one for my Gobi Stealth Rack, I live in canada and our camping season is pretty short so I will only use it for 2 or 3 months a year and lets say 10 full days of camping really. The Smittybilt costs $260 CAD and the ARB $360 CAD I'm wondering if the ARB is really $100 better or it is just the name that cost that much.

KidVermicious 11-03-2015 12:45 PM

Tarp $10. Two telescoping fly poles $20. Some paracord and a couple tent stakes, probably free if you grub around your camping stuff, otherwise $10. That's forty dollars max for exactly the same functionality, and it'll probably take an extra 60 seconds or so to put up and take down. Is that 60 seconds worth $220 for a shitty awning or $320 for the decent one?

It's your money. Maybe it's worth it to you. I go with the tarp and poles and spend my money on gas so I can get out more often. Maybe you could save the money and spend it on winter gear so you could get out more often. :)

http://i1157.photobucket.com/albums/...l.jpg~original

ST1FLER 11-03-2015 12:53 PM

people dont call it SHITTYBilt for nuthin

transworldmoto 11-03-2015 01:01 PM

I'll wait for the flame to come after this comment, but...

I have the ARB2000 Awning and it's been pretty good so far. The canvas blocks out UV rays and all that good stuff, but isn't completely waterproof. In Utah, camping along the White Rim Trail a large storm came in and I had to throw awning over the top of the roof rack to the other side of the truck so it could dry out. Just something to keep in mind. I know the Smittybuilt is the same construction.

The reason I bought the ARB is simply because I got a good deal on it ($100) from a friend. Otherwise, I'd go with CVT's awnings because the TPU coated material is much more waterproof than waxed canvas.

Just food for thought.

Apex Overland 11-03-2015 01:18 PM

http://www.outbreakexpedition.com/#!tentsawnings/cczy

I'll just leave this here.

marshal 11-03-2015 03:39 PM

Anyone that buys anything shittibilt should be slapped in the face with a herring

KidVermicious 11-03-2015 04:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by marshal (Post 2173023)
Anyone that buys anything shittibilt should be slapped in the face with a big f*cking salmon

ftfy

DannyLlama 11-03-2015 04:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by KneeCaps (Post 2172900)

It would be nice if their website worked lol

JohnnyMack 11-03-2015 04:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DannyLlama (Post 2173064)

Link works fine for me. :shrug:

Apex Overland 11-03-2015 05:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DannyLlama (Post 2173064)

Site works just fine on my lap top, mac, and iPhone. must be you...

DesertCanyons 11-03-2015 05:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by KidVermicious (Post 2172866)
Tarp $10. Two telescoping fly poles $20. Some paracord and a couple tent stakes, probably free if you grub around your camping stuff, otherwise $10. That's forty dollars max for exactly the same functionality, and it'll probably take an extra 60 seconds or so to put up and take down. ... :)

I like your tarp idea. It's easier and quicker than setting up a free standing shade tarp. The poles are available as tent accessories from REI and others. I see you're using your hiking poles here. Plain straight taller poles would be a cheap improvement. If the tarp were bigger and the roof top cargo wasn't in the way, the tarp could be pulled all the way over to shade the windshield and roof. In sand I use very cheap wood stakes because they have more surface to bear against the sand. Sometimes I just drive the wood stakes in front of regular round tent stakes that are easier to tie off to.

Nice illustration. Thanks for posting the pic'.

KidVermicious 11-03-2015 06:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DesertCanyons (Post 2173123)
I see you're using your hiking poles here. Plain straight taller poles would be a cheap improvement.

True story, but hiking poles are what I carry in the truck all the time. :)

Titanpat57 11-03-2015 06:23 PM

I have two ARB 2500...one is 5 years old, outside all the time, the other is about 4 years old, outside all the time as well.

Both work like new, easy to put up, take down, etc.

The older one probably has close to 100 days outside, set up camping, if not more. How much more do need from it?

Buy quality, buy once (can anybody say here ARB doesn't back their products?)...you order shit..you eat shit..

jackweathers223 08-20-2019 02:41 AM

You can attach a good quality awning like for RV's. They have durable rv patio awning replacement fabric that lasts a long time.