Toyota 4Runner Forum - Largest 4Runner Forum

Toyota 4Runner Forum - Largest 4Runner Forum (https://www.toyota-4runner.org/)
-   5th gen T4Rs (https://www.toyota-4runner.org/5th-gen-t4rs/)
-   -   BigJones' Big Black Build 16 SR5 Premium (https://www.toyota-4runner.org/5th-gen-t4rs/211619-bigjones-big-black-build-16-sr5-premium.html)

BigJones24 12-21-2015 10:17 PM

BigJones' Big Black Build 16 SR5 Premium

4 Attachment(s)
Hey fellas, been working on blacking out my new 4Runner. With a baby on the way the funds I'm putting into the truck are somewhat limited which is why I plasti-dipped the wheels instead of buying brand new black ones. Currently got the wheels, badges and roof rails dipped black.

Next up is a window tint on Wednesday, I'm going 4% (limo) in the 3 back windows and 15% on the 2 front windows. Might add a 15% glare strip on the windshield for $40 extra, what do you guys think about the glare strip on 4R's?

Here's Big Black as she stands currently:

RoadDogT4R 12-21-2015 11:45 PM

Clean t4r man, the tint will always make it look nicer in my opinion but for the glare strip... Maybe a straight line as opposed to the bow you see on most other cars. The bow might throw off the square lines of the windshield. But if you get it done post some pics because it may or may not sway me into getting mine done. Take care man!

BigJones24 12-22-2015 12:18 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RoadDogT4R (Post 2215434)
Clean t4r man, the tint will always make it look nicer in my opinion but for the glare strip... Maybe a straight line as opposed to the bow you see on most other cars. The bow might throw off the square lines of the windshield. But if you get it done post some pics because it may or may not sway me into getting mine done. Take care man!

Thanks brotha, hadn't even thought about straight line vs bow. I'd definitely want the straight line so you've given me something to ask them about. I'm leaning towards going with the glare strip so I'll have some pics posted Wednesday.

ElvisThePelvis 12-22-2015 12:45 AM

That is looking very nice! I pick up my 2016 SR5 Black with Tan interior within the next week and my build budget is low. I have enough for the Gobi stealth rack but the bumper, winch, wheels, lift and tires will need to wait.

I think plasti-dip for the badges and wheels will be my first stop shortly followed by a similar tint.

Runer4Life 12-22-2015 12:59 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BigJones24 (Post 2215335)
Hey fellas, been working on blacking out my new 4Runner. With a baby on the way the funds I'm putting into the truck are somewhat limited which is why I plasti-dipped the wheels instead of buying brand new black ones. Currently got the wheels, badges and roof rails dipped black.

Next up is a window tint on Wednesday, I'm going 4% (limo) in the 3 back windows and 15% on the 2 front windows. Might add a 15% glare strip on the windshield for $40 extra, what do you guys think about the glare strip on 4R's?

Here's Big Black as she stands currently:

http://www.toyota-4runner.org/attach...de-profile.jpg

Sweet 4Runner you got there! I love the way your running boards look on your 4Runner!

BigJones24 12-22-2015 11:18 AM

@ElvisThePelvis : that's the same color scheme I've got, I really like how the tan interior contrasts the black exterior. Not sure where you're located but if by chance it happens to be in Oklahoma, I know a guy who dips and he does a great job for a great price.

@Runer4Life : thanks man, those boards are something I wanted to make sure came with my 4R, I've always liked the way they look.

ElvisThePelvis 12-22-2015 01:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BigJones24 (Post 2215703)
@ElvisThePelvis : that's the same color scheme I've got, I really like how the tan interior contrasts the black exterior. Not sure where you're located but if by chance it happens to be in Oklahoma, I know a guy who dips and he does a great job for a great price.

I live in Mississippi so that is a bit of a haul, but now I can show some pictures of what I want.

BigJones24 12-22-2015 05:05 PM

@ElvisThePelvis : Yeah that's a bit of a trip just for some dip lol. Let me know if you need wheel or emblem close ups and I'll get some to you.

bane 12-22-2015 06:18 PM

http://commodorecrush.com/wp-content...coffee-mug.png

Unless you smoke your lights.

BigJones24 12-22-2015 07:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bane (Post 2216129)

Lol great picture. I'm contemplating smoking the lights, not 100% sure yet. Waiting to see how it looks following tomorrow's tint.

Slow 12-23-2015 05:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BigJones24 (Post 2216202)
Lol great picture. I'm contemplating smoking the lights, not 100% sure yet.

Only problem i see is that i do not think Zig Zag or Rizla make papers big enough.

BigJones24 12-23-2015 11:53 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Got the windows tinted, ended up going with the glare strip but was impossible to get a good pic in the sunlight, I'll snap one showing the strip tomorrow morning.

carolinapanic 12-27-2015 01:00 AM

I like the black emblems, I ordered those black emblem covers online, so I'm hoping those are just as good as the dipped style

MNBighead 12-27-2015 03:18 AM

Not sure if you did this or not but I suggest using the Plasti dip UV clear coat. It makes a huge difference in the longevity of the plasti dip and makes it have a more satin finish vs. flat black. It will go along way in helping with reducing the typical plasti dip fade over time. I took my time (many coats) and my SR5 wheels, roof rack, emblems, etc all look perfect after 1yr even here in harsh MN weather environment.

BigJones24 12-28-2015 04:36 PM

@MNBighead : I had it professionally done so I'm not sure what they used but I was told with proper care it should last as long as 5 years. I also have a lifetime warranty and free 6 month touch ups.

@carolinapanic : my wife didn't want me going with black emblems, she'd thought it would look cheap. But after she saw them finished she loved the look. You'll really enjoy what they bring to your 4R, IMO