Toyota 4Runner Forum - Largest 4Runner Forum

Toyota 4Runner Forum - Largest 4Runner Forum (https://www.toyota-4runner.org/)
-   3rd gen T4Rs (https://www.toyota-4runner.org/3rd-gen-t4rs/)
-   -   Aux Audio Input with Stock Radio (https://www.toyota-4runner.org/3rd-gen-t4rs/212099-aux-audio-input-stock-radio.html)

3rdGen2002 01-01-2016 08:19 PM

Aux Audio Input with Stock Radio

Hi all – I’m interested in using the CD changer deck port on the back of my stock radio as an aux audio input. A number of companies appear to make these types of products, but I’ve been through three of them without success. Has anyone out there gotten one of these to work? If so, could you pass on a link to where you purchased from?

Basically, all of these companies make a product that plug into the existing CD changer slot in the back of the stock radio (the slot is unfilled as mine did not come with the changer). The aux input is supposedly activated by pushing the CD button twice (the same way the changer is).

Here are the ones I’ve tried (none have worked):

Robot Check

Robot Check

Robot Check

Thanks!

alumarine 01-01-2016 10:02 PM

These guys seem to have several things that might work.
At least you contact them beforehand.

http://www.pac-audio.com/products.aspx

Unner 01-01-2016 10:08 PM

I had one of the PAC ones. Or it may have been the other big brand that does them, I can't remember. Either way I think an aftermarket unit is a much better option. Way better sound, and newer options like Bluetooth and hands free calling. They can be had for fairly cheap as well.

TheDurk 01-02-2016 01:43 AM

I also think a whole new unit is a better option. I trashed the factory head (cassette only, no aux. amp) unit the day I drove mine home from the dealer in 1999. That said, I have used the products sold by this site in a number of cars over the years. It ain't cheap, but I bet it would work:

Toyota IPOD Interface - auxiliary input adapter PA15TOY USASPEC

3rdGen2002 01-02-2016 12:37 PM

Thanks for the responses guys. I like the existing radio/head unit interface, but it seems like it is time to scrap it in favor of more functionality. Might be able to squeeze a CB in the giant hole the existing unit takes up :biggrin1:

satek 01-02-2016 12:45 PM

Wait! Try one of these first for $4!

Audio Cassette Tape Adapter to Auxiliary Cable 3 5mm Jack for MP3 iPod CD Player | eBay

I have one and it works just fine.

99problems 01-02-2016 01:10 PM

1 Attachment(s)
I have one in my '99 that works great and I've been very happy with (I can identify with wanting to keep the factory look). I'm at the dealership right now, but I'll grab a picture of the box when I get home. I was able to purchase it off of another member on this forum actually.

Edit: Here's a picture of the box. I installed this in the center underneath the plastic between the cup holders and the shifter and ran the wires into the back of the stock head unit; there are line-outs for two sets of rca jacks but I only use one of them to run a standard headset adapter. Everything fits great with no issues.

99problems 01-02-2016 04:33 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Backside of the same box:

Unner 01-03-2016 04:39 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 99problems (Post 2224171)
I have one in my '99 that works great and I've been very happy with (I can identify with wanting to keep the factory look). I'm at the dealership right now, but I'll grab a picture of the box when I get home. I was able to purchase it off of another member on this forum actually.

Edit: Here's a picture of the box. I installed this in the center underneath the plastic between the cup holders and the shifter and ran the wires into the back of the stock head unit; there are line-outs for two sets of rca jacks but I only use one of them to run a standard headset adapter. Everything fits great with no issues.

Quote:

Originally Posted by 99problems (Post 2224281)
Backside of the same box:

That's the one I had! I sold that one to you haha. I ran that in my Supra for a couple years as well as my 4Runner before I upgraded both to aftermarket units. That thing sounds way clearer than those cassette adapters for sure.

Vinny C 01-03-2016 12:22 PM

I was a big fan of the cassette adapter, but my cassette player died so I tried one made by LOGJAM that was supposed to plug into the CD changer connection like the others... It did not work. Cross that one off your list.
I've gone to a Bluetooth FM transmitter for the time being, but the sound is shit. Resigned myself to going with an aftermarket deck in the near future. Good luck with the search.

jrm 01-03-2016 01:48 PM

With all the messing around

youre better off with a aftermarket double din with a usb port.

3rdGen2002 01-07-2016 07:08 PM

Thanks 99Problems! Just ordered one of the eBay. I'll keep everyone posted.

3rdGen2002 02-11-2016 09:13 PM

Wanted to come back with an update. I installed the same unit 99problems referenced above and it works fantastic. The sound quality is as good as a CD and the transition is pretty seamless. For now, I would really recommend it - hopefully it lasts...

trovergraywilson 03-02-2016 12:24 AM

Bump.

I have a 2002 LTD with an A56811 OEM head unit, double-din in-dash 6-disc. Works like a charm. With this unit, is there an additional deck port (pls god) to install an aux audio input? Also, if that's the case, anybody hear of an aux input (pls god) with Bluetooth connectivity?

yota_addict 03-02-2016 03:45 AM

Once you go Bluetooth you'll never go back!