Toyota 4Runner Forum - Largest 4Runner Forum

Toyota 4Runner Forum - Largest 4Runner Forum (https://www.toyota-4runner.org/)
-   Engines / Suspension / Wheels / Tires / Audio / Accessories (https://www.toyota-4runner.org/engines-suspension-wheels-tires-audio-accessories/)
-   -   4th Gen Stereo Install Info Including Pics of Reverse & Parking Brake Wires (https://www.toyota-4runner.org/engines-suspension-wheels-tires-audio-accessories/215387-4th-gen-stereo-install-info-including-pics-reverse-parking-brake-wires.html)

Bluesky 07 02-29-2016 11:16 AM

4th Gen Stereo Install Info Including Pics of Reverse & Parking Brake Wires

Edit - Jan 2020: I wasn't happy with the Kenwood for numerous reasons so I have replaced it with the outstanding Pioneer AVH-2550NEX. The post contents are still valid in that they describe the wiring needed for the backup cam. I also repaired the images.

Original Post
I just installed a new Kenwood DDX373BT HU and ran wiring for a soon-to-be-installed backup camera. Hope this info may help someone else. Others have posted re the parking and reverse wiring, but even with the pics in those threads, I was still having trouble locating the wires under the driver's side kick panel and the last thing I wanted was electrical problems from screwing up the taps. So I called Crutchfield (who I highly recommend) and the info they gave is below with pics.

First, here's the gear I used:

Crux SWRTY-61S Wiring interface - wire this to the HU wiring plug, then plug into the factory harnesses.

Metra 95-8202 Dash Kit - small trim pieces for each side of the HU.

Hosa Stereo RCA to Mini Adapter - Optional, use if you want to keep the factory Aux plug in the console bin. You'll also need a short (6" will do) female-to-male extension because this adapter is too wide to plug straight into the back of the HU.

T-Spec 20' Video Cable - yep, I overpaid, and others have probably used less than a 20' cable. But I wanted to run this once and once only forever and also wanted no question over whether I would have enough to reach the back regardless of routing, so I bit the bullet and bought this cable. I ended up going across under the steering column, under the door sill trim (there's even a little clip holding another cable there that this one fits right into), up behind the back door to the headliner, then working it underneath the headliner, then zip tying the extra cable in the space behind the driver's side convex mirror pending the camera install.

I had no need to bypass the DVD safety feature so I was looking for the parking brake wire, and needed to tap the reverse wire for the backup cam. Crutchfield's tech rep described the locations as follows.

The plugs described are side-by-side on the left side of the dash fuse box:

https://i.imgur.com/zo0CGYNl.jpg

Reverse wire - red with yellow stripe, pin #10 on a 16-pin plug. (Note - "16-pin" means there are 16 places for pins; some may be unused & thus empty.) This wire is in pin 10, it's 2nd from the end in this pic but I'm holding it upside down and there are 8 pins across, so if you count from the top end of the plug, the blue wire is pin #9 and the target, the red w/ yellow stripe, is #10.

https://i.imgur.com/QifyUrrl.jpg

Parking brake wire - light green, pin #1 on the larger 24-pin plug. Note that the other light green wire has silver on it - don't use that one - you want the plain light green wire in the first pin spot on the end.

https://i.imgur.com/EojmZfcl.jpg

You have to work off some of the black protective covering before the wires can be separated enough to get a tap on 'em. I used Scotchloks, love those things.

Also, the 4th Gen 4Runner has two antenna inputs for whatever reason, a large & a small. Most people Just plug in the large one but you can get an adapter if you wish.

One other thing I did was to bring the USB cable down to behind the panel circled in this pic (not my truck, just a pic I found to show the panel). The reason is that this panel easily pops off to provide access if you ever need to plug something different into the USB. For example, a thumb drive for a firmware update or a new phone cable if the current one goes bad or you change phones & have a new style cable. Otherwise you will have to disassemble the dash again to get to it. I tucked my Sirius receiver down there too b/c I can easily change the antenna if the plug comes loose or anything happens to the current one.

It’s pretty easy to get the phone cable out to where you need it.

https://i.imgur.com/jlkbCo3l.jpg

That's it - happy to answer any questions.

USMCEngineer 02-29-2016 06:36 PM

Camera

Thanks for the good info. I'm planning a reverse camera install as well with a Kenwood DNX8120. Now I don't have to run a wire all the way to the back for the reverse signal. What style camera are you planning to use? I bought one that mounts on the two license plate bolts, but I'm unsure if that is the best way to go after looking at what it will take to route the cables back to the head unit.

Bluesky 07 03-01-2016 12:02 AM

I got this one because of the 5 different mounting options & the clearance price.

Audiovox Multimount Rear Observation Camera Black CMOS2 - Best Buy

Haven't installed the cam yet but have some ideas and I don't plan on going into the tailgate to run wires. I'll post an update as soon as it's in.

Also, I did a separate thread to reach more people but am adding this here too: another poster said he tested a backup cam by plugging the video cable into his TV and touching the cam leads to a tool battery. I didn't have a battery with marked terminals so I tried a 9V battery instead and it was enough to get a signal. This is helpful to make sure the camera works if you don't plan to install it for a while after purchase, and during an install to make sure a signal is getting to the HU, trying out the view from different mounting points, etc. without having to make the power connections to the vehicle.

Worked for me, may work for you, don't know of any potential bad consequences, but try at your own risk.

Bluesky 07 03-14-2016 12:49 PM

Update: I mounted the camera on the bottom of the bumper.

https://i.imgur.com/Bj69vA1l.jpg

Ran the wiring through flexible plastic mill conduit and zip tied it to the trailer wiring. The rubber grommet entering the body is under the driver's side cargo tie-down ring panel near the tailgate. The grommet pulls out easily, so I used an Xacto knife to slice a small slit in the grommet and fed through the conduit. If you keep the opening small enough, it's tight against the conduit but I used some sealer to be on the safe side.

This got me into the driver's side tail light cubby where I tapped the red/yellow (reverse) and black/white ground and plugged in the previously routed video cable. Done!

matthewkristof 03-18-2016 06:01 PM

I just reinstalled a new backup camera and ran new video, reverse and ground wires to the front. Tapped into the red/yellow wire for reverse like before, grounded to a nearby bolt.

Picture came on but then continues to flicker and sometimes goes out. Sometimes it goes on and stays on but I get some horizontal flickering. Sometimes it doesn't even go on at all...just a black screen (it does sense reverse so I know the reverse connection is good). Didn't find a kink or anything. All brand new cables and brand new wires. I know it's not a bad video connection...I know what that is. Do I have a bad ground?

theladyviola 11-27-2016 02:47 PM

4th Gen Stereo Install Info Including Pics of Reverse & Parking Brake Wires

Quote:

Originally Posted by matthewkristof (Post 2303970)
I just reinstalled a new backup camera and ran new video, reverse and ground wires to the front. Tapped into the red/yellow wire for reverse like before, grounded to a nearby bolt.

Picture came on but then continues to flicker and sometimes goes out. Sometimes it goes on and stays on but I get some horizontal flickering. Sometimes it doesn't even go on at all...just a black screen (it does sense reverse so I know the reverse connection is good). Didn't find a kink or anything. All brand new cables and brand new wires. I know it's not a bad video connection...I know what that is. Do I have a bad ground?

I wanted to check in with you to see how you are still liking the Kenwood DDX373BT. I usually do my own audio install but Best Buy has the unit on sale for Cyber Monday $199 installed. I, too, will be installing a backup camera in my '03 Sport and probably 1 to 2 amps. Like I said, wanted your opinion on the HU now that you've had it in for awhile. Thanks!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

4thGenV8 02-05-2019 01:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bluesky 07 (Post 2284129)
I just installed a new Kenwood DDX373BT HU and ran wiring for a soon-to-be-installed backup camera. Hope this info may help someone else. Others have posted re the parking and reverse wiring, but even with the pics in those threads, I was still having trouble locating the wires under the driver's side kick panel and the last thing I wanted was electrical problems from screwing up the taps. So I called Crutchfield (who I highly recommend) and the info they gave is below with pics.

First, here's the gear I used:

Crux SWRTY-61S Wiring interface - wire this to the HU wiring plug, then plug into the factory harnesses.

Metra 95-8202 Dash Kit - small trim pieces for each side of the HU.

Hosa Stereo RCA to Mini Adapter - Optional, use if you want to keep the factory Aux plug in the console bin. You'll also need a short (6" will do) female-to-male extension because this adapter is too wide to plug straight into the back of the HU.

T-Spec 20' Video Cable - yep, I overpaid, and others have probably used less than a 20' cable. But I wanted to run this once and once only forever and also wanted no question over whether I would have enough to reach the back regardless of routing, so I bit the bullet and bought this cable. I ended up going across under the steering column, under the door sill trim (there's even a little clip holding another cable there that this one fits right into), up behind the back door to the headliner, then working it underneath the headliner, then zip tying the extra cable in the space behind the driver's side convex mirror pending the camera install.

I had no need to bypass the DVD safety feature so I was looking for the parking brake wire, and needed to tap the reverse wire for the backup cam. Crutchfield's tech rep described the locations as follows.

The plugs described are side-by-side on the left side of the dash fuse box:

http://i24.photobucket.com/albums/c9...c.jpg~original

Reverse wire - red with yellow stripe, pin #10 on a 16-pin plug. (Note - "16-pin" means there are 16 places for pins; some may be unused & thus empty.) This wire is in pin 10, it's 2nd from the end in this pic but I'm holding it upside down and there are 8 pins across, so if you count from the top end of the plug, the blue wire is pin #9 and the target, the red w/ yellow stripe, is #10.

http://i24.photobucket.com/albums/c9...d.jpg~original

Parking brake wire - light green, pin #1 on the larger 24-pin plug. Note that the other light green wire has silver on it - don't use that one - you want the plain light green wire in the first pin spot on the end.

http://i24.photobucket.com/albums/c9...x.jpg~original

You have to work off some of the black protective covering before the wires can be separated enough to get a tap on 'em. I used Scotchloks, love those things.

Very happy with the finished product.

http://i24.photobucket.com/albums/c9...c.jpg~original

That metra kit looks solid. My biggest worry is dropping hundreds on a sweet new unit and you get tacky plastic trim to surround it. Triflin. That looks good.

Bluesky 07 02-06-2019 11:31 PM

Thanks, I appreciate it.

mtnracer51 07-28-2019 04:15 PM

Hi Bluesky07,
Just installed a kenwood DDX-395 in my runner and need to aquire the Metra trim kit to fill in the sides as you have done. Looked on their website and couldnt quite find what i was after. Do you have a source and model number where you got that trim kit?
Thanks!
Alex

mtnracer51 07-28-2019 04:18 PM

Hi again, just re read the first post and found what I was after:) Thanks anyway!

revox92 08-01-2019 08:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bluesky 07 (Post 2299154)
Update: I mounted the camera on the bottom of the bumper.

https://i.imgur.com/Bj69vA1l.jpg

Ran the wiring through flexible plastic mill conduit and zip tied it to the trailer wiring. The rubber grommet entering the body is under the driver's side cargo tie-down ring panel near the tailgate. The grommet pulls out easily, so I used an Xacto knife to slice a small slit in the grommet and fed through the conduit. If you keep the opening small enough, it's tight against the conduit but I used some sealer to be on the safe side.

This got me into the driver's side tail light cubby where I tapped the red/yellow (reverse) and black/white ground and plugged in the previously routed video cable. Done!

Awesome guide, man! We'll be working on buddy's new 4Runner soon right after we finished installing the brake kit and maxxis truck tires on the current Ram project. We'll definitely follow your trick here.

bookooc 09-26-2019 12:16 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 4thGenV8 (Post 3225400)
That metra kit looks solid. My biggest worry is dropping hundreds on a sweet new unit and you get tacky plastic trim to surround it. Triflin. That looks good.

Am I the only one who just sees fuzzy pics with photo bucket logos on them?

Frapple 09-28-2019 08:46 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bookooc (Post 3362034)

No me too

Bluesky 07 01-27-2020 08:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bookooc (Post 3362034)

Quote:

Originally Posted by Frapple (Post 3363178)
No me too

Yeah, the Photobucket fiasco ruined a lot of threads. Finally got the pics fixed in this one.