Toyota 4Runner Forum - Largest 4Runner Forum

Toyota 4Runner Forum - Largest 4Runner Forum (https://www.toyota-4runner.org/)
-   Classic T4Rs (https://www.toyota-4runner.org/classic-t4rs/)
-   -   Engine swap on 90/91 (https://www.toyota-4runner.org/classic-t4rs/216365-engine-swap-90-91-a.html)

YotapowerRockstar7 03-17-2016 02:15 AM

Engine swap on 90/91

Hey everybody, so i recently acquired a 91 runner and all i have to do is replace the timing belt and a couple of the components to get her up and running no biggie, ill probably use her for spare parts if anything goes out on my 90 in the meantime.

Question thats been on my mind is, has anyone heard of or accomplished doing a 2jz-gte conversion on a 2nd gen? if so rough price estimate? modifications that had to be made? I want to keep it as a 4wd application but im not sure what trans would be able to link up to it? thanks in advance guys.

flyinhawaiian01 03-17-2016 10:27 AM

Why 2JZ on a 4wd truck? If you're actually going turbo on a 2JZ, you'll be around 350hp with a modest build, way more than necessary if you plan on wheeling it, and a turbo on the trails is really pointless, unless you're into rock racing!

But, if that's what you're looking to do, then you'll probably want to look at driftmotion's website for trans adapters. I don't recall if the '91 still used the w56 trans or the R trans, but just research "2JZ to W58" or "2JZ to R134", google will bring up lots of options for either trans.

As for the piping, good luck with that! There's not much room to mount an intercooler, and with any straight axle setup, you'll have issues getting all the piping out of the way of articulation from the front axle. I've seen a 7MGTE swap on a 90's truck, and every time the guy turned right, it would knock off the turbo pipe from the intercooler.

If you're keeping it IFS, then it will be easier to route pipework, but still not much room to mount intercooler up front, along with electric fan and radiator. Don't ask me where you'll put the a/c condenser!

Cost to do a swap like this will be pretty close to 8 grand if you do it right and find no problems with a 2J motor. Rebuilding it will be another $1500+ if you find any compression issues, and most of the 2J's out there now have been pretty well beat on. Those that aren't beaten to death are still on the road. Lots of fabrication to be done, so get ready to do a good amount of welding and bracketry.

Been there, done that, now doing a 1UZ in a MKII supra, as well as another 1UZ in my '87 truck in the future, just the rebuild on the first engine has me at over a grand in parts and some machine shop work. I haven't even started on ordering the adapters and other stuff in yet!

ChildrenOfBodom 03-17-2016 04:16 PM

Agreed with flyin hawaiian. The 7MGTE swap is more common and is more compatible with the existing vehicle. If I ever swap a 2JZ-GTE into my 89 Supra, the 7MGTE will find its way into the 87 turbo 4Runner. Easy to retain 4WD since the R154 bell housing will fit the V6's R150 trans.

You'd need a lot more electrical and a 1JZ bell housing for a 2JZ, but its been done. Not sure how it would be in a 4Runner, the 2JZ is a handful of power. I'd be worried about breaking axles.

HiLuxer 03-17-2016 05:28 PM

Or maybe opt for the 2JZ-GE, non-turbo version? I'd highly recommend the 5VZ from the 96-03 Tacoma/4Runner. Much less headache and if you already have the R150F manual trans, it's a direct bolt-on, trans wise.

Was thinking about that so I acquired a '89 V6 5 speed but later found another '87 22RE so I didn't go that far. A lot of write-up on the web as well.

Youngest4 01-31-2018 02:21 AM

What other engines can be swapped into the 2nd gens? And what associated problems and work comes with a swap? Inexperienced and new to the 4 runner life and was trying to find out what the best move would be for me- 2 95 4runners with engine issues at my disposal. Feedback is greatly appreciated!

Bad_Vision 01-31-2018 10:30 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Youngest4 (Post 2899050)
What other engines can be swapped into the 2nd gens? And what associated problems and work comes with a swap? Inexperienced and new to the 4 runner life and was trying to find out what the best move would be for me- 2 95 4runners with engine issues at my disposal. Feedback is greatly appreciated!

TDI swap.
Lots of power and can be quick big bonus is MPG. I'm running 37" tires getting 35mpg at 55mph on stock axles.

Sent from my XT1635-01 using Tapatalk

Rodnic 01-31-2018 11:15 AM

There was a guy on here about a year-or-so ago that did a Ford V8 swap in is 2nd gen. Good write-up with lots of pictures. He was from Oregon, I don't remember his name and haven't heard anything for a while. It sure caught my attention! �� Rod

Youngest4 01-31-2018 01:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bad_Vision (Post 2899134)
TDI swap.
Lots of power and can be quick big bonus is MPG. I'm running 37" tires getting 35mpg at 55mph on stock axles.

Do you think it’d be possible for someone who’s just getting into cars to do an engine swap? Little to no tools or experience working on cars but I am quick to learn and will eat up information on how to do these things. Or should I just try to rebuild what I have. I’m going for more of a street runner with a little bit of off-roading,with tires no bigger than 34s. I want to be able to go around at least 80-90 without a problem- would that be possible with the tdi swap?

Youngest4 01-31-2018 01:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rodnic (Post 2899159)
There was a guy on here about a year-or-so ago that did a Ford V8 swap in is 2nd gen. Good write-up with lots of pictures. He was from Oregon, I don't remember his name and haven't heard anything for a while. It sure caught my attention! �� Rod

Interesting- I’d love to read that thread. Do you remember what the title or anything was by any chance?

Rodnic 01-31-2018 09:25 PM

His member name was Lokesh. He was actually doing the swap back in January 2015 and later! I must really be having fun cuz time is flying!! I didn't think it was that long ago! Haven't seen him on here for awhile but then again, I haven't been on here much myself. Been too busy! Someone on here might be able to help you more than me. Rod

fourwd1 01-31-2018 10:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Youngest4 (Post 2899236)
Do you think it’d be possible for someone who’s just getting into cars to do an engine swap? Little to no tools or experience working on cars but I am quick to learn and will eat up information on how to do these things. Or should I just try to rebuild what I have. I’m going for more of a street runner with a little bit of off-roading,with tires no bigger than 34s. I want to be able to go around at least 80-90 without a problem- would that be possible with the tdi swap?

Honestly, no.
It takes a lot of tools and equipment.
And a lot of experience.
And a lot of modifications and fabrication.
And $$$$

Learn how to change the engine oil, rotate the tires, and replace the shocks, etc first.

Youngest4 02-01-2018 05:37 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by fourwd1 (Post 2899693)
Honestly, no.
It takes a lot of tools and equipment.
And a lot of experience.
And a lot of modifications and fabrication.
And $$$$

Learn how to change the engine oil, rotate the tires, and replace the shocks, etc first.

How much work would a head gasket repair/ replacement be? I want to do the work myself but have a very vague understanding of these things. How do other people work on cars- a manual or do they just know what to do?

Dropzone 02-11-2018 04:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by koudai908 (Post 2907029)

:flame:spam post reported:gun4:

tanth1500 02-11-2018 04:56 PM

legend

this would be legendary. hope you do it. i dream about this kinda stuff but im broke. good luck dude

Bad_Vision 02-11-2018 05:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dropzone (Post 2907949)
:flame:spam post reported:gun4:

Banned and erased