Toyota 4Runner Forum - Largest 4Runner Forum

Toyota 4Runner Forum - Largest 4Runner Forum (https://www.toyota-4runner.org/)
-   3rd gen T4Rs (https://www.toyota-4runner.org/3rd-gen-t4rs/)
-   -   Charcoal Canister / EVAP System Delete? (https://www.toyota-4runner.org/3rd-gen-t4rs/217145-charcoal-canister-evap-system-delete.html)

Clayton74 03-30-2016 11:23 AM

Charcoal Canister / EVAP System Delete?

Did quite a bit of searching on here and I couldn't seem to come up with anyone that's done this before.

Has anyone deleted this system before? Check engine light doesn't concern me, but I don't want to affect performance. I was basically just planning to plug / cap / remove the lines and canister. It would make a good place to relocate my washer reservoir.

Clayton74 03-30-2016 06:59 PM

I see, well I guess I'll report back my findings once I get done butchering this system up :)

jreask 03-30-2016 07:37 PM

I have wondered the same thing as I have had EVAP codes set off the CEL on numerous 4Runners of the third Gen. I have a non CALI right now and, knock on wood, never had a CEL. I don't see how removing the system would harm anything performance wise, but I'm definitely no pro mechanic.
EVAP codes can be a ***** to track down. It can be the gas cap, but not usually. IT is a tough system to troubleshoot unless you have the correct tools to analyze. Let me know how it goes after you remove it.

jmsdad 03-30-2016 07:39 PM

Look what I found cleaning up my photobucket account. I had this saved way back then. I haven't try this mod as I live in a enhanced biennial smog check area. I know some have successfully done the charcoal delete. Let's see if you can use this...

http://i13.photobucket.com/albums/a2...l.jpg~original
http://i13.photobucket.com/albums/a2...1.jpg~original

WallyWest 03-30-2016 07:49 PM

I wish, wouldn't pass inspection where I live if I did that.

Had an EVAP code every couple hundred miles for a while. Just kept resetting it. Haven't seen it in about a year now, so yay?

Clayton74 03-30-2016 08:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jmsdad (Post 2316595)
Look what I found cleaning up my photobucket account. I had this saved way back then. I haven't try this mod as I live in a enhanced biennial smog check area. I know some have successfully done the charcoal delete. Let's see if you can use this...

Thanks, this will make a good start. We don't have emissions in AK and my rig is mostly for off-road anyway. I was considering just removing the bulb in my dash for the CEL but I'll wait to see if this keeps it on all the time.

Manic 07-29-2016 09:44 AM

@Clatyon74 - Did you end up removing yours? Update?

jeremyc74 07-29-2016 09:49 AM

Why would you "delete" the EVAP system?

JRZEE2000TR4LTD 07-29-2016 11:18 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jeremyc74 (Post 2426134)

I was wondering this too. No performance gains and it doesn't rid the system of any CELs (just creates them)

volkinator 07-29-2016 12:21 PM

Quote:

Quote:

Originally Posted by JRZEE2000TR4LTD (Post 2426217)
I was wondering this too. No performance gains and it doesn't rid the system of any CELs (just creates them)

I've thought of it initially. It takes up quite a bit of under-hood space. Can you work around it, definitely; but it'd be a lot easier without it there... I'm guessing that's the general idea.

Clayton74 07-29-2016 12:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Manic (Post 2426129)
@Clatyon74 - Did you end up removing yours? Update?

I have not removed it yet but it's going to go. Been too busy with other "mods". It's definately on the plate though because my washer tank had to get pulled the other day and no washer fluid sucks.

Quote:

Couple of reasons

1) I don't need it, my rig is for offroad
2) I need to relocate a washer canister to somewhere else as I had to remove it for clearances
3) It's a useless piece of emissions garbage
4) The OCD in me hates listening to that buzzing all the time.

jeremyc74 07-29-2016 01:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Clayton74 (Post 2426302)
3) It's a useless piece of emissions garbage

Yeah, because breathing clean air sucks!! :llama:

This is more trouble than its worth. Where are you planning to vent the fuel tank to? Might as well just vent it into the interior since the EVAP system is useless to begin with! :pound:

Elan750 07-29-2016 01:42 PM

At least with the 4th gen, The purge valve is naturally closed so if you just unplug it and leave it there, vapor has no way to get to the intake. just make sure to unplug the vent valve too (it naturally stays open) so pressure doesnt get too high in your tank. If you remove the canister you will probably be smelling gas often.

bugman-74 07-29-2016 01:54 PM

Here is an option for washer bottle relocation I have one of these on my rig, and it works perfect.

Clayton74 07-29-2016 05:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jeremyc74 (Post 2426355)
Yeah, because breathing clean air sucks!! :llama:

This is more trouble than its worth. Where are you planning to vent the fuel tank to? Might as well just vent it into the interior since the EVAP system is useless to begin with! :pound:

More trouble than it's worth for you. Not for me because it's really no trouble. My rigs not a pavement queen where my cool mods consist of custom grilles and retrofitted headlights (no offense to those that do these mods, to each their own), it's an off-road rig meant to replace my Polaris Ranger.

Where do you think most gas tanks vent to? Typically they have an open vent to the atmosphere and is pulling air most of the time when the vehicle is running. The main time air comes out is when you're filling your tank.

This mod isn't for most. If you've got a DD, you probably don't want to gut your evap system.