Toyota 4Runner Forum - Largest 4Runner Forum

Toyota 4Runner Forum - Largest 4Runner Forum (https://www.toyota-4runner.org/)
-   3rd gen T4Rs (https://www.toyota-4runner.org/3rd-gen-t4rs/)
-   -   Nitto Terra Grappler G2 285/70/17 P-Rated Questions?? (https://www.toyota-4runner.org/3rd-gen-t4rs/218713-nitto-terra-grappler-g2-285-70-17-p-rated-questions.html)

bsdoig 04-27-2016 07:43 PM

Nitto Terra Grappler G2 285/70/17 P-Rated Questions??

Just picked up a set of 17" Tundra Split Spoke wheels and was planning on going with a set of K02 265/70/17 C Load Tires. The K02 tire weights in right at 46lbs.

Been looking on discount tire at 285 sizes and noticed that the Nitto G2 285/70/17 P-rated version that weights in right at 45lbs. I know overall tire diameter has a effect with 265 vs 285, but the weight is so close.

Anyone had any experience with the P-rated 285 Nitto's???

Currently have the stock limited 5-stars and Copper AT3 265/75/16C. Mostly daily driving with occasional light off-road.

Tire Details - Discount Tire Direct

toppyjai 04-27-2016 11:41 PM

I have them on my stock 2016 sr5 rims and all that I can say is that they do have noticeable road noise at high speeds. other than that, no complaints. I have a little over 300 miles on them and purchased them on ebay for $606 shipped through discount tire. I haven't gone off road yet so I can't tell you my first hand review on the off road capability.

bsdoig 04-28-2016 06:43 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by toppyjai (Post 2344754)
I have them on my stock 2016 sr5 rims and all that I can say is that they do have noticeable road noise at high speeds. other than that, no complaints. I have a little over 300 miles on them and purchased them on ebay for $606 shipped through discount tire. I haven't gone off road yet so I can't tell you my first hand review on the off road capability.

You have the P-rated version? How's the sidewall stiffness with it only being a 4ply? Notice any large weight difference? Sorry for all the question lol

bsdoig 05-04-2016 09:59 PM

Bump!

toppyjai 05-05-2016 12:52 AM

sorry for the late reply but I haven't taken the 4R off road yet so I can't tell you how strong the sidewall stiffness handles the deflation.

bsdoig 05-05-2016 07:11 AM

Can anyone comment on the weight of these? 45lbs seems pretty light for a 285 compared to a e rated 285 weighing in close to 60lbs. That's got to make the jump from a 265 hurt a little less lol.

white_n_slow 05-05-2016 10:36 AM

If you plan to do much off roading, I would avoid a P-rated tire. P stands for pavement pounder with punctures :p P-rated tires are also not ideal for towing, if that is in the cards for your truck.

They will ride great on the road and the lighter weight is great for acceleration and braking. If you plan to stay on the road or if your "off roading" is more semi-maintained dirt roads, then sure.

GHARP57 05-05-2016 10:43 AM

I have P rated Gen 1s on my runner and I air down to about 18-25 lbs when I offroad. I have not encountered any issues with the tires yet and they handle dirt, mud and water well. I have even been airborn on them and they have held up well.

JRZEE2000TR4LTD 05-05-2016 11:46 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by GHARP57 (Post 2352050)
I have P rated Gen 1s on my runner and I air down to about 18-25 lbs when I offroad. I have not encountered any issues with the tires yet and they handle dirt, mud and water well. I have even been airborn on them and they have held up well.

:wow2::bounce::bounce::guitar3:

GHARP57 05-05-2016 11:49 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JRZEE2000TR4LTD (Post 2352095)
:wow2::bounce::bounce::guitar3:

hahaha @Twitchstyle13 can attest to that and so can my brother lol

Twitchstyle13 05-05-2016 12:27 PM

Yes I can attest to @GHARP57 getting his runner airborn. The wheeling I have seen him do the the Nittos are fine. However @white_n_slow we need to take into consideration since @bsdoig is looking to run a Terra grappler it's safe to say that he is not going to be doing hard core trails to require a L/R E tire. So a P series tire may be perfect for him and what he plans to do. Now my self I'm looking at trail grapplers, Goodyear MTRs or the procomp mt2. I plan on taking the harder route more often which is also why I'm looking into long travel. You need to
Build the truck for what it's gonna be doing most.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Twitchstyle13 05-05-2016 12:27 PM

Yes I can attest to @GHARP57 getting his runner airborn. The wheeling I have seen him do the the Nittos are fine. However @white_n_slow we need to take into consideration since @bsdoig is looking to run a Terra grappler it's safe to say that he is not going to be doing hard core trails to require a L/R E tire. So a P series tire may be perfect for him and what he plans to do. Now my self I'm looking at trail grapplers, Goodyear MTRs or the procomp mt2. I plan on taking the harder route more often which is also why I'm looking into long travel. You need to

Twitchstyle13 05-05-2016 12:28 PM

Twitchstyle13 05-05-2016 12:28 PM

white_n_slow 05-05-2016 02:27 PM

repost much? lol.

Anyhoo, I personally think a C or D would be ideal and would be my preference over an E. Unfortunately not many manufacturers bother with C or D load range tires anymore. Given the choice between a P and an E, I would take the E just for the added durability of the tire construction. P could work, just exercise caution when off road and always carry a full size spare.