Toyota 4Runner Forum - Largest 4Runner Forum

Toyota 4Runner Forum - Largest 4Runner Forum (https://www.toyota-4runner.org/)
-   Classic T4Rs (https://www.toyota-4runner.org/classic-t4rs/)
-   -   My 1987 build..."Achillies" (https://www.toyota-4runner.org/classic-t4rs/219544-my-1987-build-achillies.html)

joeynational 05-13-2016 06:04 PM

My 1987 build..."Achillies"

8 Attachment(s)
Been lurking on here since i bought my first gen a couple months ago. Ive always wanted one and in AZ they are hard to find in decent shape that people dont want 10k for. Ive always been into Toyotas. I actually still have my first car when i was 16...

1991 pickup. I was into mini trucks at the time so its completely shaved w custom interior and paint other things
Attachment 203838
Attachment 203839Attachment 203840
Attachment 203841Attachment 203842

But recently my HG went...again! I didnt have much $$ at the time so i went cheap on my rebuild guy. I got about 60k miles out of it

Attachment 203843Attachment 203844

I said F*** the 22re and picked this up with 36k actual miles! 2001 2rz with trans and all wiring etc.
Attachment 203845

Sent from my LG-D801 using Tapatalk

Bad_Vision 05-13-2016 06:07 PM

Not my cup of tea but at least it's a Toyota.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

joeynational 05-13-2016 06:08 PM

7 Attachment(s)
Back to the 4runner

So i picked up this 87. It was pretty clean and complete with a recent 22re rebuild
Attachment 203846Attachment 203847Attachment 203848

Since ive had it ive fixed some minor things like broken trace on my cluster. All lights and tach works again!Attachment 203849

I just did a zuk mod tooAttachment 203850
Attachment 203851
Attachment 203852

joeynational 05-13-2016 06:10 PM

2 Attachment(s)
So i bought a 1.5" ball joint spacer to even up the front and this happened

Attachment 203853Attachment 203854

Guess its a good time to rebuild the front suspension!

joeynational 05-13-2016 06:12 PM

Im mainly going for a strong and reliable DD thats capable to go where i want on the weekends or when camping. No rock climbing for this guy. Once the 2rz swap is done im going to swap a 3.4 in Achillies

RAD4Runner 05-13-2016 06:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by joeynational (Post 2360083)
Back to the 4runner
So i picked up this 87. It was pretty clean and complete with a recent 22re rebuild......
I just did a zuk mod tooAttachment 203850

Cool build. May we know what springs you used for the Zuk mod?

joeynational 05-13-2016 07:06 PM

3rd gen 4runner coils...i got them from walmart! Lol...they are moog too

joeynational 05-13-2016 07:11 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Here is part# for your referenceAttachment 203857

rustED_ 05-14-2016 07:05 PM

Good looking runner, the interior looks really nice! Just once I wish I got a yota with nice grey interior to start with, lol!

coveboy 05-16-2016 07:53 PM

Great looking runner, and I dig the mini truck too!

What all did you do to the front suspension? Just reboot it or whole new cv's? This is my first real project and I just ordered bj spacers and new shocks, and have one torn boot already, so was curious what else others replace when they work on their front end.

joeynational 05-17-2016 12:05 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by coveboy (Post 2362622)
Great looking runner, and I dig the mini truck too!

What all did you do to the front suspension? Just reboot it or whole new cv's? This is my first real project and I just ordered bj spacers and new shocks, and have one torn boot already, so was curious what else others replace when they work on their front end.

thx!

i was going to do the full thing, bjs, tie rods, pitman etc. But after inspecting there is nothing wrong with them. No torn boots or anything. The BJs are a little loose, but i'm just trying to get it on the road right now. So i'm doing brakes and new CVs.

What shocks are you going to run? I was thinking of doing those but not sure which to get with the new 1.5" lift

coveboy 05-17-2016 12:22 AM

Nice, lucky then! Both my cv's are ripped haha...gotta get on that asap. And ordered so Pro Comp ES3000's. About an inch longer than the stock shocks to make up for the slight added lift

Sent from my SM-G920P using Tapatalk

89FourRunner 05-17-2016 09:37 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by joeynational (Post 2362878)
thx!

i was going to do the full thing, bjs, tie rods, pitman etc. But after inspecting there is nothing wrong with them. No torn boots or anything. The BJs are a little loose, but i'm just trying to get it on the road right now. So i'm doing brakes and new CVs.

What shocks are you going to run? I was thinking of doing those but not sure which to get with the new 1.5" lift

The 4Runner looks like it is in great shape!

Regarding reliability...

You should consider spending the $20 and buying a differential drop kit. It is just two spacers and longer bolts to lower the diff for the BJs kit you have. This way you won't tear boots anymore, and you won't have to worry about binding or premature wear. They can be had on ebay and amazon. It will return reliability to the front end.

The truck responds well to a ball joint spacer lift with a diff drop. The only wear that accelerates are the lower ball joints, and they are pretty cheap and easy to replace over the years.

If the rear coils raised the truck up over 2" (it looks as if it might of lifted it around 4"?) you should consider putting some angle shims between the axle perch and leaf pack to restore a healthy angle between the rear axle and the drive shaft. It will save the propeller shafts as Toyota likes to call them, but it will save the pinion gears in the long term too.

Many people will tell you a differential drop "isn't necessary" or restoring the angle of the drive shaft "isn't necessary", but if you are looking for reliability and it is going to be a semi-daily driver, these two things are dirt cheap and easy to accomplish, plus it will keep your toyota reliable.

Otherwise these issues will become your 4Runner's Achillies' heel! ...but seriously, it is true.

joeynational 05-17-2016 10:24 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 89FourRunner (Post 2363075)
The 4Runner looks like it is in great shape!

Regarding reliability...

You should consider spending the $20 and buying a differential drop kit. It is just two spacers and longer bolts to lower the diff for the BJs kit you have. This way you won't tear boots anymore, and you won't have to worry about binding or premature wear. They can be had on ebay and amazon. It will return reliability to the front end.

The truck responds well to a ball joint spacer lift with a diff drop. The only wear that accelerates are the lower ball joints, and they are pretty cheap and easy to replace over the years.

If the rear coils raised the truck up over 2" (it looks as if it might of lifted it around 4"?) you should consider putting some angle shims between the axle perch and leaf pack to restore a healthy angle between the rear axle and the drive shaft. It will save the propeller shafts as Toyota likes to call them, but it will save the pinion gears in the long term too.

Many people will tell you a differential drop "isn't necessary" or restoring the angle of the drive shaft "isn't necessary", but if you are looking for reliability and it is going to be a semi-daily driver, these two things are dirt cheap and easy to accomplish, plus it will keep your toyota reliable.

Otherwise these issues will become your 4Runner's Achillies' heel! ...but seriously, it is true.

Thanks for the info, i was actually contemplating the diff drop but never thought about the rear pinion angle. Good point as you stated its cheap fix to ensure reliability which is what im going for with this truck.

joeynational 05-21-2016 11:06 AM

2 Attachment(s)
Just completed by BJ spacer. It was hard to tell in previous pics but it was slightly higher in theback. Question is does the front seem high now to anyone?

After a drive i noticed it was a little more bouncy and not so smooth. Almost felt unstable taking turns like it wanted to tip over. Anyone else experience this? I may just need new shocksAttachment 204851Attachment 204852