Toyota 4Runner Forum - Largest 4Runner Forum

Toyota 4Runner Forum - Largest 4Runner Forum (https://www.toyota-4runner.org/)
-   5th gen T4Rs (https://www.toyota-4runner.org/5th-gen-t4rs/)
-   -   Cracked screen/digitizer on head unit (https://www.toyota-4runner.org/5th-gen-t4rs/220960-cracked-screen-digitizer-head-unit.html)

9lb taco 06-11-2016 11:51 AM

Cracked screen/digitizer on head unit

For reference, I have a 2015, non-JBL Entune with Nav.

Destroyed the digitizer on the OEM Entune head unit. The LCD still displayed just fine through the cracked digitizer, but all touch screen functions were gone. This removed an enormous amount of functionality from the unit. I saw threads on here with no acceptable resolution.

For how easy it was to shatter in a quick bout of carelessness, I imagine there could be a handful of others on here driving around with cracked screens. Or maybe not, and this will help some people in the future.

I really was not ready to drop ~$1k on an aftermarket head unit which would match only most of the features in the OEM unit. Yes, the sound quality and other features would be added -- but the scosche aftermarket bezel would have to be painted and the whole aftermarket end result just doesn't look that good in my opinion. Not for the cost to get into it.

The price quotes thrown around online (I didn't check with a dealer) to replace the whole unit were usually north of ~$2k. That's insane.
I also heard of Toyota dealers or electronics repair shops charging ~$700 plus for the repair. If only the digitizer needs replaced, that's shameful mark-up on labor. But if you don't know what's involved, it might sound reasonable (especially compared to full replacement).

Did quite a bit of researching, and finally a disassembling of my head unit to learn that it uses a somewhat common type of display made by LG.
LG Display 6.1" LA061WV1 (TD) (01)

The chances of getting just the broken component and having a successful repair seemed good enough, so I started searching for parts.
  • As of this time, I could not find any online retailer outside of China that would carry these -- so I took a gamble on aliexpress.com (like China's eBay).
  • I ordered the LCD+digitizer combo because it was the easiest way to know for sure I was getting the correct digitizer for the head unit (these types electronics are not my forte).
  • With expedited shipping, less than one week later I had my replacement parts for ~$80. (You can find digitizers separately for ~$20, but the combo is around ~$50. Now I have a spare LCD to collect dust)
  • Total time to disassemble/reassemble took me about an hour.
  • I'd imagine this voids the warranty on the remaining functional parts of the head unit, if you care about that sort of thing.

I can post up pictures and generic steps taken to replace the digitizer, but there is a real potential for a novice to cause additional harm to the unit if not careful. Again, I'm not an expert at disassembling head units but I am familiar with working on personal electronics.

On a scale of 1 to 10 I'd say it's no more difficult than replacing an LCD on a laptop computer. If you've done that, you can do this.

@FoneRunner @HerT4R

FoneRunner 06-13-2016 01:04 PM

Just ordered mine...hopefully I'll have the same happy experience! Thanks @9lb taco !

EDIT: Now, just ordered it after aliexpress.com rejected my order. Got it from opuradio.com instead for a few dollars more. Definitely is LA061WV1(TD)(01) no matter what vehicle they list it is for. In my case, the one listed for the 4Runner was out of stock and $1 more expensive. I ordered the exact same part, except they listed it for the Tacoma and it was $1 cheaper. Keep all fingers crossed until it gets here!

FoneRunner 06-24-2016 06:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by FoneRunner (Post 2386777)
Just ordered mine...hopefully I'll have the same happy experience! Thanks @9lb taco !

EDIT: Now, just ordered it after aliexpress.com rejected my order. Got it from opuradio.com instead for a few dollars more. Definitely is LA061WV1(TD)(01) no matter what vehicle they list it is for. In my case, the one listed for the 4Runner was out of stock and $1 more expensive. I ordered the exact same part, except they listed it for the Tacoma and it was $1 cheaper. Keep all fingers crossed until it gets here!

The part came in and it's 100% fixed and beautiful. Many many thanks to the OP for doing the research and finding that supplier. It was nerve racking ordering from a chinese web site but it worked out great. If you're thinking of attempting this repair, it's not too bad just remember that the ribbon cables need to be secure or certain buttons/functions won't work. It's not scary, just take your time.

Cudgel 08-05-2016 12:51 PM

Hey @9lb_taco,

If you're still willing, can you post those general steps? I am in the same situation you were with the cracked digitizer/functional LCD on my OEM Entune w/ NAV on my 2014 SR5. I am definitely a novice, but I am realistic about my abilities. I am thinking about taking this on if it seems w/in my skills.

Brandonium 08-05-2016 02:45 PM

I'm rarely a fan of aftermarket setups. Sure you might get better performance but if it looks like crap inside the vehicle or doesn't mesh with the original look then it's not worth it. There are very few exceptions to this IMHO. If there were a dash kit that had buttons like the Alpine/wrangler kit that is sold I might be tempted but it would have to feel...not cheap.

jeff741972 08-05-2016 03:46 PM

Ill give my head unit to anyone who wants it locally, I wouldnt trust trying to ship it. I went aftermarket in my 15, I do know it is non jbl, not sure if it had nav, worked good when i pulled it out.

manofsteele2003 02-22-2017 04:09 PM

Anyone have pics or a write up on this, mine just cracked this morning. Found other options if the dealer doesn't replace but still not cheap.

ScottR 02-22-2017 07:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by manofsteele2003 (Post 2619717)
Anyone have pics or a write up on this, mine just cracked this morning. Found other options if the dealer doesn't replace but still not cheap.

If it is cracked the dealer will reject any warranty claim with prejudice (damage). Took mine in for being unresponsive to touch and they found a teeny scratch where something impacted the screen hard enough to bend the digitizer. Damage, claim denied.

So, I decided to chuck it and go aftermarket Pioneer AVH-4200nex with iDatalink maestro. Worked out great, better functionality and less dashboard clutter. Color matched the Scosche adapter to look like stock TEP interior. About $800 out of pocket and two hour install. Happy with the upgrade!

manofsteele2003 02-22-2017 07:24 PM

Yeah I'm pretty sure they won't but I'm going to the dealer on Friday to look at a Tundra anyways so I'll have them take a look. Maybe I can use that in my negotiations, fix or we walk on the truck, ha.

manofsteele2003 03-31-2017 09:41 AM

Well I got my truck back from the dealer yesterday, by some miracle they replaced the screen under warranty. Service manager had to fight Toyota for them to cover it so they told me. They were going to order a new head unit but they found that it lists for about $5K so they took it out and sent it back to Toyota for the repair. Took about a week and a half but they gave me a Tacoma loaner so it was all good. I'm very pleased, some of the best service I've had in a long while.

If anyone needs a new screen and digitizer let me know I have one new in box that I ordered just in case they didn't fix it.

Racer S2 11-13-2017 03:22 PM

Need a little help...

I know that this is a rather old thread, but I can't post yet and I'm kinda stuck. I order the replacement screen which will arrive today. I've removed the dash assembly but cannot figure out how to separate it from the front plastic assembly so I can access the screen.

I see four tabs, but still cannot separate it. Everything I've searched for doesn't include this detail.

https://pix.sfly.com/UfM5pC

Any help would be appreciated.

cervelochic 11-27-2017 11:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by manofsteele2003 (Post 2657833)
Well I got my truck back from the dealer yesterday, by some miracle they replaced the screen under warranty. Service manager had to fight Toyota for them to cover it so they told me. They were going to order a new head unit but they found that it lists for about $5K so they took it out and sent it back to Toyota for the repair. Took about a week and a half but they gave me a Tacoma loaner so it was all good. I'm very pleased, some of the best service I've had in a long while.

If anyone needs a new screen and digitizer let me know I have one new in box that I ordered just in case they didn't fix it.

Do you still have the new screen/digitizer? We have a 2016 4Runner SR5 with a cracked screen. I was moving the daughter to college and had to slam on the brakes for some kids crossing a 6 lane road on a green light. Luckily and most importantly, the only damage was to the screen ... when a bookshelf slid forward into the dash. Thank you for your time.

manofsteele2003 11-29-2017 10:40 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by cervelochic (Post 2852542)
Do you still have the new screen/digitizer? We have a 2016 4Runner SR5 with a cracked screen. I was moving the daughter to college and had to slam on the brakes for some kids crossing a 6 lane road on a green light. Luckily and most importantly, the only damage was to the screen ... when a bookshelf slid forward into the dash. Thank you for your time.

I do but it's currently packed away in a storage unit while my new house is being built.

lodi781 12-27-2017 02:39 PM

1 Attachment(s)
I have my radio apart right now, anyone know how to unclimbed the screen from the flat cable things??

hergy916 01-04-2018 02:15 PM

This thread has been very helpful but I am curious if anyone can verify exactly which screen they are ordering. When I search for the LG part number, six different options show up all with the same part number and at least two say 4Runner. Considering how long it may take to get the part, I'd hate to get the wrong one. I have a 2016 non JBL w/ nav and sat but I'm guessing that the features aren't what's important as much as size and fitment.