Toyota 4Runner Forum - Largest 4Runner Forum

Toyota 4Runner Forum - Largest 4Runner Forum (https://www.toyota-4runner.org/)
-   Off Topic (https://www.toyota-4runner.org/off-topic/)
-   -   BBQ/Smoking Meat (https://www.toyota-4runner.org/off-topic/221940-bbq-smoking-meat.html)

jstim 07-01-2016 01:03 PM

BBQ/Smoking Meat

2 Attachment(s)
I enjoy BBQ and with it being the 4th of July weekend, no better reason to start this thread since I can't find anything like it on the forum. I am proposing this as a place to share recipes, smoking/grilling times, what you are cooking on. Share some pictures of what you have made. Hopefully this will give everyone the ability to enjoy the regional greats of BBQ in their backyards.

Boston Butt rinsed and patted dry
About 1.5 hours per pound, or until 195 degrees internal
Cooked on a Big Green Egg with applewood and orange wood
Rubbed the day before cooking with saran wrap and left in the fridge overnight
Pork Rub recipe-
1 cup brown sugar
1/4 cup smoked paprika
3 tablespoons kosher salt
2 tablespoons black pepper
2 tablespoons chili powder
2 tablespoons granulated garlic
2 teaspoons chipotle powder
1 teaspoon cumin
2 teaspoons ancho chile powder

jstim 07-01-2016 01:32 PM

2 Attachment(s)
Here is a set of St. Louis cut ribs I did as well.

St Louis cut ribs
6 hour cook(3 hours unwrapped/2 hours wrapped in foil/1 hour unwrapped)
Big Green Egg with applewood and orange wood
Pork rub

Just pulled the membrane of the back, gave it a good heavy sprinkle

volkinator 07-01-2016 02:37 PM

Why must you torture me! How do you like your egg? I've heard good things so far!

jstim 07-01-2016 02:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by volkinator (Post 2402664)
Why must you torture me! How do you like your egg? I've heard good things so far!

It is really awesome for backyard bbq. Cooking is one of the other things I spend a lot of time on. I bought a digi q to go with my egg and it makes it even easier to use. I bought it because I had spent a bit of money on a cheaper smoker, and it was crazy labor intensive to smoke anything. So I sold that one and bought the egg, and it is AWESOME! I've made chili on it, pork, ribs, beef ribs, brisket, beer can chicken. It always comes out great, whether it's December or July. It's an investment though, one that's worth it.

00Sebby 07-01-2016 04:33 PM

7 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by volkinator (Post 2402664)

If you like cooking outdoors and want a variety of cook styles available, an Egg is mandatory. So quit being tortured and go buy you one! It is a holiday weekend after all.:D I cook on mine almost every evening. I admit it is becoming a bit of a challenge to find new things to cook on it but I will keep trying. :nod:

Wings are my favorite and mine are better than I've found almost anywhere in the country. Pretty simple recipe.

1 - Buy biggest wings you can find, section them into drums and flats.
2 - Season with McCormick Montreal Steak seasoning.
3 - Grill direct at 300-325 over oak lump with a few chunks of mesquite thrown around the sides. Cook to about 95% done... still tough but completely cooked.
4 - Pull wings into kettle or lidded container for tossing (not plastic because they are hot!)
5 - I use the 16oz bottle of Texas Pete Wing Sauce with a stick of butter melted in. I pour this over the 95% cooked wings in the tossing container and shake to get good coverage.
6 - Critical step! Place the sauced wings back on the grill for about 5 mins per side so the sauce cooks into the skin and meat a bit and to recrisp the skin. Save the sauce!
7 - After wings are desired doneness and crispy, pull into platter and serve. Use the sauce they were tossed in for an extra kick. That's why they have to be done before saucing.

It is amazing how good the mesquite smoke / Texas Pete flavor combination is! :thumb:

cfranck1 07-01-2016 04:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jstim (Post 2402608)
Here is a set of St. Louis cut ribs I did as well.

St Louis cut ribs
6 hour cook(3 hours unwrapped/2 hours wrapped in foil/1 hour unwrapped)
Big Green Egg with applewood and orange wood
Pork rub

Just pulled the membrane of the back, gave it a good heavy sprinkle

Oh the Texas cheat!! 3-2-1 method...

I've done it that way and I've done it 3-1-1 too. I liked the 3-1-1 method more..

St. Louis cut - the only cut I buy for ribs!!
Hopefully will be smoking this weekend too!!

NoLight 07-01-2016 04:46 PM

Yummy I like to smoke pork and chicken with pecan wood and pecan nuts if you have em.. Makes the meat a little sweet but just barely noticeable.

00Sebby 07-01-2016 04:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jstim (Post 2402665)
It is really awesome for backyard bbq. Cooking is one of the other things I spend a lot of time on. I bought a digi q to go with my egg and it makes it even easier to use. I bought it because I had spent a bit of money on a cheaper smoker, and it was crazy labor intensive to smoke anything. So I sold that one and bought the egg, and it is AWESOME! I've made chili on it, pork, ribs, beef ribs, brisket, beer can chicken. It always comes out great, whether it's December or July. It's an investment though, one that's worth it.

If you haven't already, you should get some large snow crab clusters or king crab and throw those on there until they are hot all the way through. You will never boil or bake them again. :thumb:

00Sebby 07-01-2016 04:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by NoLight (Post 2402767)
Yummy I like to smoke pork and chicken with pecan wood and pecan nuts if you have em.. Makes the meat a little sweet but just barely noticeable.

I use pecan wood all the time but have never used the actual pecans. I'll give that a shot when I see a good deal on pecans.:thumb:

NoLight 07-01-2016 05:19 PM

Just be warned the pecans burn kinda hot so limited amounts.

amalik 07-01-2016 05:23 PM

@00Sebby @jstim

I'm new to cooking and new to grilling as a new home owner.

Call me new a new man, LOL.

Anyway, I bought a Char-Broil 3 burner and a Weber Kettle (Charcoal).

Recipe's aside, I am finding it extremely annoying to clean the grates after each use.

Is the big egg basically a big smoker, and better in this regard? I guess I'm asking for the sake of knowledge,
I'm not going to ditch the 2 grills I just bought.

jstim 07-01-2016 05:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by amalik (Post 2402796)
@00Sebby @jstim

Recipe's aside, I am finding it extremely annoying to clean the grates after each use.

Is the big egg basically a big smoker, and better in this regard? I guess I'm asking for the sake of knowledge,

Its better in that its nice thick ceramic and it holds and maintains heat really well. As far as my clean up, its fairly easy, and I just wire brush down my grill grates. It works both as a smoker and a grill, you can use it as a pizza oven, etc. You name it you can probably do it on there. I have a cast iron grill grate i use for steaks, and burgers, etc. That gets treated just like a cast iron pan, just clean it off and oil it up. That Weber Kettle should be treating you right though....

Check out this site, it'll give you reviews on equipment, tips, and tricks....and its more than just ribs. www.amazingribs.com

NoLight 07-01-2016 05:39 PM

I personally just crank the heat up or open and fan the coals after cooking to clean my grates. I leave what ever is on the grates there till next cookout then run a wire brush after the fire is good and hot. Works good enough for me I let my wife eat the first bite in case its growing something weird :rolleyes:... Remember heat can kill most stuff!!!!

amalik 07-01-2016 05:46 PM

@NoLight , let's hope your wife isn't an avid T4R member, LOL WTH!!!!!!!!
@jstim , Ok, yeah, I've heard a lot of similar sentiment on GarageJournal... just burning off the black nasty carbon crap and/or using a wirebrush when hot.

I bought Nylon brushes because that's what Lowe's was advertising at the time. They don't seem as good as the steel brushes, I'll probably pick one up.

Anyway, I have cast iron grates on the gas grill & stainless steel grate on the Weber Kettle. Will probably keep both for a while.
@00Sebby , great looking food.

00Sebby 07-01-2016 07:28 PM

BBQ/Smoking Meat

Quote:

Originally Posted by amalik (Post 2402796)
@00Sebby @jstim

Grates get dirty. I just brush it down with a wire brush before cooking and sanitize it with fire.

As for BGE, it's way more than a smoker. It smokes, grills, sears, bakes, roasts, cooks pizza, etc.... pretty much anything you want to do with food and fire. You'll find it holds heat/temp better than the Weber and definitely imparts more flavor than the CharBroil. It also heats up quickly negating the key advantage of a gas grill.

I'm a simple man. One grill does it all. But I'd like two Eggs for larger cooks.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk