Toyota 4Runner Forum - Largest 4Runner Forum

Toyota 4Runner Forum - Largest 4Runner Forum (https://www.toyota-4runner.org/)
-   FJ Cruiser (https://www.toyota-4runner.org/fj-cruiser/)
-   -   Common Problems (https://www.toyota-4runner.org/fj-cruiser/222177-common-problems.html)

01sr54x4 07-07-2016 09:13 AM

Common Problems

Hey guys!

I got rid of my 2001 4Runner a few years back. Regret it like nothing else. I'm looking to get back into the Toyota game, specifically a 2012 FJ. It has roughly 38k on it. What are any common issues that you guys can think of off the top of your heads? Anything OE that should be replaced to avoid problems ie. tstat, pumps, leaking lines, anything like that.

IdahoAngler 07-07-2016 06:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 01sr54x4 (Post 2406613)
Hey guys!

I got rid of my 2001 4Runner a few years back. Regret it like nothing else. I'm looking to get back into the Toyota game, specifically a 2012 FJ. It has roughly 38k on it. What are any common issues that you guys can think of off the top of your heads? Anything OE that should be replaced to avoid problems ie. tstat, pumps, leaking lines, anything like that.

There were some recurring issues in the pre-2010 models (front fender bulges; rear diff issues). The only common issue I've heard about in newer models is a tire/steering wheel shake at 55-65mph. Lots of people have reported this issue, but I've never had it happen. Be sure to test drive any vehicle up to 65mph.

Go to the dedicated FJ Forum and search for threads about the steering wheel shake.

Hardluck 07-07-2016 08:05 PM

As said above, the biggest pre-2010 issue was the front fender bulge. That hit many of us. I can't really think of any post-2010 issues, especially at the mileage you are looking at. I have 155,000 miles on my 2007 and no issues. Just make sure you are ok with the massive blind spots and loss of rear cargo room as compared to your old 4runner.

01sr54x4 07-08-2016 02:38 PM

With the FJ being only slightly shorter and narrower, I don't see the loss of space being too big an issue. ... 3 hrs after starting this post reply, I found a 2012 4Runner trail that I'm buying! Thanks for all the help anyhow guys!!! See you in the sand.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hardluck 07-08-2016 02:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 01sr54x4 (Post 2407668)
With the FJ being only slightly shorter and narrower, I don't see the loss of space being too big an issue. ... 3 hrs after starting this post reply, I found a 2012 4Runner trail that I'm buying! Thanks for all the help anyhow guys!!! See you in the sand.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Congrats!! Post some pics when you get it.

thegrillebadgestore.com 07-13-2018 02:56 PM

For any future lurkers who stumble on this thread.

There are plenty of 2007/2008 owners (especially 2007) who have not had any issues with the rear diff, the fender bulge, the zerks needing to be greased to stop the FJ bump as it is called etc.

The only thing mine has needed is oil, gas, a battery when the Panasonic died at 9 years of age, a $30 fan blower under the dash and an alternator.

You can score 2007's cheap now, it's a good value.

16RedRunner 10-10-2018 01:06 PM

I have had my FJ since new 2009.The only real problems I have had are calipers freezing up.

KelleyNRusty 12-21-2018 01:00 PM

FJ Issues

I am considering purchasing a 2011 FJ that is several states away.
What do I need to ask/do to make sure I do not make an unnecessary trip or get a problem?
Pointers from any of you that have one are greatly appreciated.
Is there a service I could use to check it out, like you would a boat?

I currently have a '16 4Runner but it is not 4x4.
Thanks in advance.

Damion812 12-29-2018 09:44 AM

I have an 08 since new. It has been as great as every Japanese Toyota I have ever had. I did replace the clutch 5 years back (6MT) due to the chirp issues but I read some place someone is going on 12 years with the chirp . Maybe I should of waited ��I just did the front struts, wheel bearings , the 10 year old battery cause it was 10. Front calipers. I'm in the salt belt. I have not had any of the other issues. The rear diff is usually do to the wrong gear size for larger than stock tires from what I've seen.

K9trainer 01-11-2019 03:18 PM

The only big problem with the FJC is that it’s not made anymore. It a great truck, I have 2 and ones for sale, I also have a 2015 TEP but like to drive my FJCs more

Thebeastlives 02-12-2020 10:10 PM

Fj issues

I went in several dealers that had on their used car lot the FJ. Since my oldest son wants a SUV and i agreed to give him my 08 4 runner I now am in the market for another. My youngest son wants a FJ since he was driving the 08 for the last couple of years that is what we are going to get him. The FJ does drive well and seems to have the perfect setup for his college life. The 4wd system and offroading capabilities seem to be better than the 08 4r and maybe as good as our 2018 trd pro. It seems to have good power for when he makes snowboarding trips to the mtns with his friends. Most of you don't seem to report any issues with your fj cruisers which hopefully means i won't have to worry about unexpected repairs. Question? He is going to mod this thing like all young men to make it his own. 5100 is what i run on all my 4 runners and even my Tundra. Do you like the 5100 with 275/70/17 KO tires ? I definitely want his ride on the road and offroad to improve without hurting power and fuel economy too much.

qiksndFJ 03-13-2020 01:34 AM

Keep it simple lol armor and rack will kill your fuel economy. Have a 2011 Fj bump/lurk (grease zerk fittings in drive shaft), steering wheel shake (alignment to correct as well outer tie-rods), currently have a rear main seal leak at 99k, ABS sensor wires are very easy to break when messing with front suspension, aftermarket roof rack roof leak (byute tape works best to seal instead of silicon), Horrible fuel economy its a heavy lego brick... But it gets me anywhere and back always.

sl0flyer 12-01-2020 10:58 PM

I just sold my FJ with 194k on it. It was solid, no major issues.
-had a trans shimmy when I bought it,100% resolved itself with a fluid change
-had some pretty bad rust from Michigan winters.. was told it could not be aligned anymore

Thats about it.. very reliable, go anywhere.