Toyota 4Runner Forum - Largest 4Runner Forum

Toyota 4Runner Forum - Largest 4Runner Forum (https://www.toyota-4runner.org/)
-   Carolinas (https://www.toyota-4runner.org/carolinas/)
-   -   Charlotte, NC, Area Shop Recommendations? (https://www.toyota-4runner.org/carolinas/224194-charlotte-nc-area-shop-recommendations.html)

RockHill4Runner 08-18-2016 11:29 AM

Charlotte, NC, Area Shop Recommendations?

Hey guys. I live in Rock Hill, SC, and work in South Charlotte. I am looking for a shop to do some work on my 2000 4-Runner that will let me provide the parts.

I am needing valve cover gaskets replaced, brake work all around, tie rods, steering bushings, fluids replaced, and just some basic maintenance items.

Can anyone recommend a shop in the greater Charlotte area, preferably on the South side of Charlotte? Rock Hill / Fort Mill area also. I am willing to drive for the right place, but the main thing is that I am looking for a shop that will let me bring my own parts. I do not mind paying shop rates on labor, but I have a hard time paying for the shop markup on parts.

I understand that is how shops also make money, and I am not talking about bringing cheap parts in, or trying to cheap out on anyone. Just working with a budget and trying to maximize the amount of work that I can have done at this time.

Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Joe

adam2562 08-25-2016 12:53 AM

I've read about a shop that specializes in toyota/lexus vehicles in the Fort Mill/ rock hill area down there. I haven't used them yet, but may when it needs something I can't do

adam2562 08-25-2016 12:54 AM

There's also a guy who in his spare time doesn't mind helping ppl out at his place. Roughly 30-40hr for his work. And he knows what he's doing

RockHill4Runner 08-25-2016 09:25 PM

Thank you for the heads up. Using the power of Google I found a place in Fort Mill called Toyota Techs. They seem to have good reviews. I will reach out to them tomorrow.

adam2562 08-27-2016 06:05 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RockHill4Runner (Post 2453434)
Thank you for the heads up. Using the power of Google I found a place in Fort Mill called Toyota Techs. They seem to have good reviews. I will reach out to them tomorrow.

That's them!

SolarSurf 06-03-2017 04:04 PM

So...how did the Toyota Tech experience go?....recommend them?
Anyone else have feedback.

Jack19 06-03-2017 06:00 PM

Bill Fisher in Indian Trail.

General mechanic but nothing you mention is out of his realm.

Nice guy, used him for all my auto work, for years, when I lived in CLT.

RockHill4Runner 10-18-2017 02:46 PM

I apologize for not following up sooner. Not long after I had the work done I moved to TN.

The work done at Toyota Techs was great. I have no complaints. They let me provide my own parts (used some OEM Toyota parts per their recommendation - valve cover gaskets). They definitely are knowledgeable. The guy I dealt with commented how clean the top end of the motor was when they replaced the valve cover gaskets. He asked me what oil I use and the change interval, and said that if I keep it up the engine should go 300K+ easily.

They do not take debit / credit cards, and I should have asked when I left my 4-Runner. Nothing a quick run to the bank did not fix.

I would recommend them to anyone in the Charlotte area who needs Toyota work done. Not a fancy shop by any means, however, I will take knowledgeable mechanics over a fancy shop anytime.

CarolinaLGRW 03-29-2019 02:02 PM

I take my 4R to a guy who is a master tech at a Toyota dealership in the area and does work on the side.

Not exactly sure what labor/hr is but he has replaced my rear axle assembly, engine swap when my HG failed, water pump, various other repairs for very reasonable price usually about 1/2 what I was quoted by reputable shops in the area. Bring your own parts if you want.

PM me if you want his contact info.

tjnptel1 07-05-2019 09:55 AM

Sorry I didn't come across this thread sooner. I have used Toyota Techs alot and love their work at their price point.