Toyota 4Runner Forum - Largest 4Runner Forum

Toyota 4Runner Forum - Largest 4Runner Forum (https://www.toyota-4runner.org/)
-   Off-Roading (https://www.toyota-4runner.org/off-roading/)
-   -   Oregon Backcountry Discovery Route 2017 Planning (https://www.toyota-4runner.org/off-roading/225996-oregon-backcountry-discovery-route-2017-planning.html)

Rock_Rat 09-25-2016 11:00 AM

Oregon Backcountry Discovery Route 2017 Planning

If you're interested in doing the OBDR please post in this thread. I'm starting to plan my vacation schedule for next year. A few dates are not good for me:
  • May 12-14th - Overland Expo West
  • October 1-11th.

I just completed the WABDR during August 11-17th and weather was great. No rain. Sky was blue. Trails were cleared not slowing us down due to deadfalls. Only issue was the heat in Eastern WA and the dust. I'm leaning towards the latter part of July beginning of August. Need to think fire season too.

Also which route would you be interested in doing? Route 5 from Cali to WA seems like a good one - 750 miles. I'm going to try and do Route 6 out to the coast before winter sets in.

Oregon Back Country Discovery

MeefZah 09-25-2016 09:41 PM

It, and the WaBDR are on my list.

Are you asking to have someone do it with you, or are you just asking to get general info, tips, etc....?

Rock_Rat 09-26-2016 11:18 AM

Just putting feelers out for anyone interested in doing it.

GhostRing 09-26-2016 06:40 PM

I've been wanting to do this for some time now...

BlackWorksInc 09-26-2016 11:47 PM

I might be interested.

@GhostRing

Where in Bend are you? :D

Rock_Rat 09-27-2016 10:40 AM

There's not a ton of info out there on the OBDR except from our dual sport friends. Here's a few links that I'm using to help plan the trip.

They mention the dust in August and that is spot on. I'll post some video footage of the dust that followed me in the WABDR. So hot and dry in eastern Washington it was nothing but a cloud of dust. Timing needs to be just right. Maybe June/July...instead of Late July/August.

Oergon Backcountry Discovery Route, OBDR, Route 5 resource thread. | Adventure Rider

http://www.soundrider.com/archive/ri...ery_route.aspx

(OBDR) oregon backcountry discovery route June 2013 | Adventure Rider

GhostRing 09-27-2016 04:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BlackWorksInc (Post 2482600)
I might be interested.

@GhostRing

Where in Bend are you? :D

Slummin' on the Westside...!

Gimme a holler when you get a chance,
maybe we can plan something soon.

BlackWorksInc 09-27-2016 08:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by GhostRing (Post 2483210)
Slummin' on the Westside...!

Gimme a holler when you get a chance,
maybe we can plan something soon.

Sure, I'm usually free most weekends. Been trying to find some 4Runner people to go off-roading up here with! :D

ZPT_Yoda 09-27-2016 11:52 PM

I have an interest.. I'm NE Bend, near MV High School. Besides this, I'd be down to do some trails/meet-ups with some Bend folks.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Rcastle 09-29-2016 09:49 AM

I did this last year. At Seneca we cut over to Sisters and down the cascades then over to Coos Bay from crescent lake. I can give some tips. I have a group going late June early July, I would be happy to help you figure out your trip.

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

GSPRunner 09-29-2016 06:33 PM

Subbed

BlackWorksInc 09-29-2016 08:58 PM

So how long of a drive are you planning OP?

On a side note; maybe we should get a Bend, OR off-roading trip going soon?

Rock_Rat 09-29-2016 09:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BlackWorksInc (Post 2485404)
So how long of a drive are you planning OP?

On a side note; maybe we should get a Bend, OR off-roading trip going soon?

I was thinking 9-12 days maybe longer. Weekend in front and in back of M-F plus a few days. Bend is a haul; for me. I'm an hour north of Portland but I wouldn't mind hitting up some Class II trails down there before winter. Not sure what OHV parks you have.

swanny 09-30-2016 05:58 PM

I have nothing useful for this thread except that I love the Bend, OR area. Wish it wasn't a 6-7hr drive or I'd visit more often.

BackOff 09-30-2016 06:41 PM

:horn:
I can eat some dust.
Get it going BlackWorksInc
Lots of close day trips around the area, if that's what your thinking.
Shoot some guns out east, eat some food, kick up some dust.
East OHV or just dirt roads and the cascades are snow free now at least for another month, after Thanksgiving...all bets are off.

Nice drive up Century Drive to Cultus Lake then the back way to Waldo Lake to Hwy58 is mellow run.