Toyota 4Runner Forum - Largest 4Runner Forum

Toyota 4Runner Forum - Largest 4Runner Forum (https://www.toyota-4runner.org/)
-   Classic T4Rs (https://www.toyota-4runner.org/classic-t4rs/)
-   -   Future value of the 1st Gen 4runner??? (https://www.toyota-4runner.org/classic-t4rs/231902-future-value-1st-gen-4runner.html)

MtBuck 01-22-2017 12:49 PM

Future value of the 1st Gen 4runner???

Have you noticed the value going up or down in your area for 1st Gens? In 5 - 10 years down the road, do you think our runners will increase in value much? While they are getting older and rustier, they still aren't making anymore of them!

KidVermicious 01-22-2017 12:53 PM

Yeah, they're going up. Their ceiling is limited by the FJ40, which has already established itself as THE collectible Toyota 4x4, but as the FJ values keep climbing the early 4Runners will rise in price too.

85straight 01-22-2017 01:50 PM

Most definitely, just in the past 5 years since I got my 1st gen I've seen local prices skyrocket, and the trucks aren't even that clean, yet people are buying em up.

My wife has tried to talk me into selling the 1st gen....nope never ever ever

SomeDay 01-22-2017 04:59 PM

They can ask whatever they want, I'll never sell my 4Runner!

Dropzone 01-22-2017 10:36 PM

a beat to crap 4Runner will still be a beat to crap 4Runner IMO
a recent check of the PDX craigslist showed prices all over the map.
$12K 76K orginal miles one owner
https://seattle.craigslist.org/tac/cto/5928665499.html
personally i would have a hard time paying $6k for this one,
https://seattle.craigslist.org/oly/cto/5970987306.html
though it it is well set up

a well taken care of 4Runner will increase in value

mholme 01-22-2017 11:30 PM

Not much love for them in my area, they usually are suffering from a lot of rust. I'd like to think mine is worth more than what I paid for it in non running condition a couple years ago. I don't see these ever commanding FJ40 money, but who knows. The last few years there's been a few near perfect 1st gens go through the auction scene and get in the mid teens.

And then there's this guy that's been listed at least 3 times in the last year and not sell (though the auction closed at "SOLD" last time but here it is again).
1987 Toyota 4Runner SR5 | eBay

HiLuxer 01-23-2017 02:23 AM

Location will be the key in its asking price. Here in FL, the price has climbed up steadily in the past 10 years, especially the 84-85 ones.

The last minty 85 with 22RE 5 speed that I saw went for $7K easily, after being listed for less than 2 weeks. And that was over a year ago.

Now, an IFS 4 cyl. one in fair condition would be around $3.5-5K and a clean, unmolested one would fetch $5.5-6K all day. Remember that we don't have rust problem down here though. And of course a V6 will get about $1-2K less, depending on condition.

MtBuck 01-23-2017 04:31 PM

On the plus side: The removable top is exclusive to the 1st gen, along with being simple and a reputation for being tough trucks. They look classy and are fun to drive.

On the down side: They rust easy, slow as molasses, aren't real family friendly with the 2-doors,

The price for the abused and neglected still hover around 2 grand, but the nicer stock or tastefully modded one seem to be climbing to the 5 - 10 grand range. The nicer ones are getting hard to find!

PS: I suppose everyone's heard the rumor about the 2018's having a removable top right? :bash:

rudogg760 01-23-2017 06:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MtBuck (Post 2588443)

PS: I suppose everyone's heard the rumor about the 2018's having a removable top right? :bash:

ive heard there werent going to be any made in 2018 :-o no press releases and no spy shots

KidVermicious 01-23-2017 06:55 PM

Quote:

Yup. Other options include a six speed manual, solid front axle, and supercharged V8. :rockon:

Nervo19 01-23-2017 07:13 PM

Subscribe to BringATrailer.com They've gone to running an auction service and there are always old Toyotas on there. I just did a search

4runner | Search Results | Bring a Trailer

And the two 1st Gens they show as completed auctions went for over $14k. Prices for nice 4Runners can only climb.

mholme 01-23-2017 07:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Nervo19 (Post 2588598)
Subscribe to BringATrailer.com They've gone to running an auction service and there are always old Toyotas on there. I just did a search

4runner | Search Results | Bring a Trailer

And the two 1st Gens they show as completed auctions went for over $14k. Prices for nice 4Runners can only climb.

That grey one was being sold a couple years ago by the same seller I linked in my previous post. I followed his sales while looking for my 1st gen. He comes across some really nice ones. Much nicer ones than I can afford.

RAD4Runner 01-23-2017 09:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 85straight (Post 2587251)
...My wife has tried to talk me into selling the 1st gen....nope never ever ever

Quote:

Originally Posted by SomeDay (Post 2587415)
They can ask whatever they want, I'll never sell my 4Runner!

Quote:

...The price for the abused and neglected still hover around 2 grand, but the nicer stock or tastefully modded one seem to be climbing to the 5 - 10 grand range...

When buying, it is difficult to justify paying over 3K for a truck that you are not absolutely sure of history.

However, if i were to sell I would not let mine go for under 6K, knowing exactly what I put into its reliability.

fourwd1 01-23-2017 10:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by KidVermicious (Post 2588579)
Yup. Other options include a six speed manual, solid front axle, and supercharged V8. :rockon:

Don't forget the flux capacitor.

Bad_Vision 01-23-2017 11:37 PM

I don't think they can make a removable top anymore I'm sure it would be hard to pass highway safety standards.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk