Toyota 4Runner Forum - Largest 4Runner Forum

Toyota 4Runner Forum - Largest 4Runner Forum (https://www.toyota-4runner.org/)
-   Off-Roading (https://www.toyota-4runner.org/off-roading/)
-   -   What's a good portable GPS? (https://www.toyota-4runner.org/off-roading/235628-whats-good-portable-gps.html)

kolelt 03-26-2017 10:12 PM

What's a good portable GPS?

A lot of places, don't have good cell phone service. And so the phone becomes useless. Can anyone recommend a small GPS? that is more for off roading.

Sleeter 03-26-2017 10:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kolelt (Post 2652797)
A lot of places, don't have good cell phone service. And so the phone becomes useless. Can anyone recommend a small GPS? that is more for off roading.

Most phones have a GPS receiver so all you would need to do is download a map on google maps or use a map app that allows you to download maps. Gaia GPS, HemaExplorer, google maps to name a few.

kolelt 03-26-2017 11:32 PM

I have iPhone 7 plus.

What about something that can TRACK your route. Even when you don't have cell phone service ?

Sleeter 03-27-2017 06:46 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kolelt (Post 2652914)
I have iPhone 7 plus.

What about something that can TRACK your route. Even when you don't have cell phone service ?

You have the same phone as me. Gaia GPS app works great.

Here are some videos https://m.youtube.com/channel/UCWXYVFq3MeGbxfRzbPwLaEQ

RonJR 03-27-2017 12:32 PM

If you just want to know where you are, the cell phone GPS with the right app should be adequate.

If you want backcountry communications, I would recommend looking into the Garmin (was Delorme) Inreach SE or Inreach Explorer. It provides 2-way text messaging to any SMS phone as well as emergency SOS services from literally anywhere in the world via a global satellite network. Both models have GPS location services - the Explorer adds moving map display. Requires a monthly subscription (about $12/month for basic service).

If you spend a lot of time in the backcountry out of range of cell service, the Inreach is great for peace of mind for you and those who care about you.

Ray Dunakin 03-27-2017 10:00 PM

I just took a look at the Gaia maps, and they lack a lot of the details that a USGS topographic map has, such as mines and ghost town sites. There are also a lot of roads and trails missing. Even the road between Silver Peak, NV and Fish Lake Valley, over the Silver Peak mountains, is incomplete on their maps, and that's a fairly significant route.

Are there any other iPhone GPS apps that use USGS maps? Or at least something with more details?

Sleeter 03-27-2017 10:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ray Dunakin (Post 2654025)
I just took a look at the Gaia maps, and they lack a lot of the details that a USGS topographic map has, such as mines and ghost town sites. There are also a lot of roads and trails missing. Even the road between Silver Peak, NV and Fish Lake Valley, over the Silver Peak mountains, is incomplete on their maps, and that's a fairly significant route.

Are there any other iPhone GPS apps that use USGS maps? Or at least something with more details?

What are the coordinates? I'll look through Hema and Gaia pro and see if either pick up the details.

RonJR 03-27-2017 10:54 PM

For my money, if you want detail, go paper. Digital maps are great for tracking routes and moving map displays, but nothing compares to a good Trails Illustrated (now National Geo) map of the area in question, assuming they've mapped it. I probably have $500 worth of the Colorado ones in my collection, and the pertinent ones go with me on all of my trips. Plus, there's something satisfying about spreading a couple out on the kitchen table and dreaming of future explorations or reliving past ones. It's just not the same on an iPhone screen.

Ray Dunakin 03-28-2017 01:39 AM

I've got plenty of good paper maps, including USGS topos, and I know how to use them. But I want a GPS that will show me precisely where I am on the map. Sometimes it's hard to tell just by looking around, and nearly impossible after dark. I've often wasted hours trying to find a specific mine or other destination at night.

Sleeter 03-28-2017 09:04 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ray Dunakin (Post 2654280)
I've got plenty of good paper maps, including USGS topos, and I know how to use them. But I want a GPS that will show me precisely where I am on the map. Sometimes it's hard to tell just by looking around, and nearly impossible after dark. I've often wasted hours trying to find a specific mine or other destination at night.

Did you pay for the Gaia app or were just looking at what layer is available free online? Gaia has at least 20 different layers that are not available unless you pay. DM me your email and we can work together to try to find a solution.

propain 03-28-2017 11:35 AM

Quote:

Currently I am using a Garmin Inreach Explorer+ with EarthMate app on 10" tablet/ and on android phone. I also use Gaia GPS. I like the Garmin just in case of emergency, being that is has SMS/SOS and is a great navigator.

Your friends/family can track you via website while you are out on the trail.

Sent from my STH100-1 using Tapatalk

theoutbackdream 03-28-2017 01:15 PM

I just use my phone and currently use Maps.me since it's free.

While it doesn't show every off-road trail, I am able to download the maps, and it has most/if not all well used roads.

Ray Dunakin 03-29-2017 12:13 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sleeter (Post 2654413)
Did you pay for the Gaia app or were just looking at what layer is available free online? Gaia has at least 20 different layers that are not available unless you pay. DM me your email and we can work together to try to find a solution.

I was looking at the maps they have online. It seems to me if they are showing these as an example of what their product can do, they ought to at least provide a still shot showing just how much detail is actually available.

reelamin 03-29-2017 05:10 AM

Quote:

Garmin 60CSX if you can find one...fried it doing one of the BS uploads....they gave me credit....so I replaced it with a 62.....not as good so tried a 64....not as good. Of the 62 or 64 get the one that is the best price.

Run them on my dirt bike, boat, car, hunting, and they are awesome and super easy to use. Lots of maps and easy to add and swap waypoints routs off your PC if you into that.

4RunnerAquasport 03-29-2017 07:12 AM

I have a Dual XGPS 150. It works very well. It's small (2-3"square), under 100 dollars, links w at least 10 or 12 satellites, and the battery lasts several hours. Paired it with Gaia (bluetooth) on a tablet, which is an ok app. Some trails were mapped completely and some weren't. Did some trails in AZ during the holidays and where the Gaia USGS topo maps were thorough, the GPS was dead on when navigating the trails. Im going to look into a better nav app tho.