Toyota 4Runner Forum - Largest 4Runner Forum

Toyota 4Runner Forum - Largest 4Runner Forum (https://www.toyota-4runner.org/)
-   5th gen T4Rs (https://www.toyota-4runner.org/5th-gen-t4rs/)
-   -   Must have (Cheap) accessories for your new 4runner! (https://www.toyota-4runner.org/5th-gen-t4rs/235947-must-have-cheap-accessories-your-new-4runner.html)

daesonn 04-01-2017 11:46 PM

Must have (Cheap) accessories for your new 4runner!

Hey guys,

I have a 2017 TRD Off-road premium that will be here in just a couple weeks and I've spent so much time researching the big upgrades, but I feel like I haven't paid enough attention to the little things!
I have been driving an older car for a decade now and am somewhat behind the times...

I was wondering what kinds of small/cheap accessories you were happy to find for your new 5th gen 4runner.
Things that:
  • Allow you to organize or more easily fit your gear
  • Make your 4runner more pet-friendly
  • Make working on your 4runner easier
  • Look and fit "like it was made to go there"
  • Protect your 4runner (interior or exterior)
  • Make your camping trips that much better
  • Make your ride look "cooler"
    Or any:
  • Cheap consumables that you can buy on amazon
  • Even cheap DIY projects that are cheap to do, look clean, and work well
  • Everything in-between.

Let's put a high price limit of $200, but it would be fun to see the items <$50 that really make your day! The things that a lot of people don't think about! Pictures and LINKS appreciated! Cheers!

Ryan1975 04-02-2017 12:56 AM

$5 cupholders in the rear bumper. Duh.

wfo9 04-02-2017 01:08 AM

A really cheap and useful first project Is some under body lighting/rock lights..

You can pull off a full install for about $20 - $40. Very useful for camping and offroading at night..

Get 2 sets of these. Double it to 4 sets if want more intensity up front and in the rear.
http://a.co/eXqwWhy

They put off an amazing amount of light and are surprisingly durable and hold up to the elements much better than I expected. And if they don't... well. you spent $10-20 LOL. Mine are still working just fine.

Wire and switch of your choice. I just used scrap stuff I had lying around. Get some very thin aluminum angle or plastic and some good double sided tape and mount them up on your body mounts where they are protected. Requires some time to route the wires.. but it is a great first project and very cheap and easy. Plus it will give you some time under the truck figuring out where things are...

If you want to get really creative, you can wire them into your puddle lights and have them come on when you approach the vehicle.... but that requires a bit more hacking and tearing the truck apart and splicing.... But it's pretty darn cool when you walk up and you truck lights up like a UFO....

Alternatively, you can also get a little cheap wireless controller to switch them on and off. http://a.co/ap4znHh

The really neat part about this is that you should be able to pair this to your home link buttons in the truck. (I'm assuming the newer models still have this). Can't guarantee that particular controller will work, but something similar can be done and I think that one will do it..

I don't typically like responding to posts like this, but you did not ask like the typical taker who comes on here feeling entitled to immediate answers. So hopefully this little nugget will get you started on the enthusiast/contributor path.

Do some searches and check out some of the build threads. I've never personally done a "build thread". Mainly because I still don't consider this vehicle a build, but there are plenty of people who have spent the time to document some cool stuff they have done. It's not always expensive... and often very creative and extremely useful. I typically just post about specific mods and have never consolidated. At some point I probably will.

Jhalko 04-02-2017 01:11 AM

Nite Ize steelie ball mount for my iPhone on the dash. :beer:

CRSTX 04-02-2017 01:36 AM

Salex Organizers
Vehicle OCD™ (Organized Console Device) Toyota 4Runner Center Console Tray (2010-present) $19.99 on amazon. It's a fantastic cheap mod.

sn_85 04-02-2017 02:05 AM

2 Attachment(s)
I'll play

1) Salex center console organizers as already mentioned. My center console has been a clutter for years. Now it's organized and easy to find stuff. Definitely made my life better

2) Blue Ridge Overland Gear Visor Molle pouch. Put pens, flashlights, small documents within easy reach
https://www.blueridgeoverlandgear.co...er-p/21mvp.htm

3) Husky Floor Liners are definitely a must if you're camping or offroading

4) Interior LED lights swap

There are many others but that's what I have going for the moment

kott3670 04-02-2017 02:13 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by wfo9 (Post 2659375)
A really cheap and useful first project Is some under body lighting/rock lights..

You can pull off a full install for about $20 - $40. Very useful for camping and offroading at night..

Get 2 sets of these. Double it to 4 sets if want more intensity up front and in the rear.
http://a.co/eXqwWhy

They put off an amazing amount of light and are surprisingly durable and hold up to the elements much better than I expected. And if they don't... well. you spent $10-20 LOL. Mine are still working just fine.

Wire and switch of your choice. I just used scrap stuff I had lying around. Get some very thin aluminum angle or plastic and some good double sided tape and mount them up on your body mounts where they are protected. Requires some time to route the wires.. but it is a great first project and very cheap and easy. Plus it will give you some time under the truck figuring out where things are...

If you want to get really creative, you can wire them into your puddle lights and have them come on when you approach the vehicle.... but that requires a bit more hacking and tearing the truck apart and splicing.... But it's pretty darn cool when you walk up and you truck lights up like a UFO....

Alternatively, you can also get a little cheap wireless controller to switch them on and off. http://a.co/ap4znHh

The really neat part about this is that you should be able to pair this to your home link buttons in the truck. (I'm assuming the newer models still have this). Can't guarantee that particular controller will work, but something similar can be done and I think that one will do it..

I don't typically like responding to posts like this, but you did not ask like the typical taker who comes on here feeling entitled to immediate answers. So hopefully this little nugget will get you started on the enthusiast/contributor path.

Do some searches and check out some of the build threads. I've never personally done a "build thread". Mainly because I still don't consider this vehicle a build, but there are plenty of people who have spent the time to document some cool stuff they have done. It's not always expensive... and often very creative and extremely useful. I typically just post about specific mods and have never consolidated. At some point I probably will.

I've always been against wireless remotes because I lose everything I own (I lost. truck in the desert once..... Luckily it was a Chevy and they guided me to it through on star :bash:........ Anyways, I LOVE this idea! Anyone have experience with any wireless remotes that work with the homelink? I don't have a garage so I have three unused buttons!

Bossman 04-02-2017 09:58 AM

1 Attachment(s)
From OPs list - Make your ride look "cooler" ...

nerfkhat 04-02-2017 11:02 AM

I also agree with salex organizers, for pet protection, I love my canvas back covers for cargo area.

Sent from my SM-G935T using Tapatalk

Irishcav17 04-02-2017 11:24 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by nerfkhat (Post 2659534)
I also agree with salex organizers, for pet protection, I love my canvas back covers for cargo area.

How do those go on? Velcro?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

nerfkhat 04-02-2017 11:26 AM

Yea they go on with velcro. Made to fit perfect to car.

gundrted+t4r 04-02-2017 11:32 AM

I'm doing this from my phone so excuse typos.

I also have a TRDORP .. solid choice ... [emoji41]

- diode Dynamics tail as fun module. $40 and very sweet.
- JDMAster 1000 lumens 921 led backup bulbs about $25
- clear bra installed from a local guy and not the dealership. I paid about $250 for 18in on the hood, head lights, fronts of the quarter panels, door edges, behind door handles and on the fronts on the mirrors.
- tint the front driver passenger windows form the same guy that did the clear bra $75.
- ram x-grip suction cup mount with medium arm. About $40 from Amazon.
- canvas back trunk liner set. OMG $160 and worth every penny. The black looks amazing​ and it completely saves the back from my lab mix and bloodhound mix.
- H9 bulbs in the headlights. $20-40 if you get the adaptor harnesses.
- XD HID for headlights around $200. Maybe maybe not for me.
- DDM Tuning Saber 40w LED 9005 bulbs for high beams. Around $100 with shipping.
- 3rd break light flasher. $15 on Amazon.

Sorry I didn't add any links. It's to much of a pain on my phone. All these I'm either doing or have done.

Sent from my SM-G930U using Tapatalk

gundrted+t4r 04-02-2017 11:34 AM

Also ... Get your cabin air filter from Amazon and NOT the dealership

Sent from my SM-G930U using Tapatalk

smackdownTRD 04-02-2017 12:04 PM

Under $10? Dip.
Under $60? Tint.
Under $80? Overlays

tek4R 04-02-2017 01:49 PM

Broadway rear view mirror!