Toyota 4Runner Forum - Largest 4Runner Forum

Toyota 4Runner Forum - Largest 4Runner Forum (https://www.toyota-4runner.org/)
-   5th gen T4Rs (https://www.toyota-4runner.org/5th-gen-t4rs/)
-   -   Power Lift Gate? (https://www.toyota-4runner.org/5th-gen-t4rs/236158-power-lift-gate.html)

starbai 04-05-2017 05:14 PM

Power Lift Gate?

I'm sure this question has been asked 1000 times but I tried doing a search and I came up negative.

Does anyone know of an aftermarket (or otherwise) solution to make the rear tail gate of a 2016 4Runner powered? (Auto Open close with the remote, button, or swipe of the foot)?

Thanks in advance!

1engineer 04-05-2017 05:16 PM

No..

starbai 04-05-2017 05:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 1engineer (Post 2663067)
No..

Don't be mad... believe it or not, its not for me! lol

Im told that it makes a difference when you've got a baby in one hand and trying to load stuff in another hand. Tryina convince a buddy of mine to pick up a 4runner, and says he loves em' but a lack of a power lift gate for a 40k suv doesn't work for him.

lojack323 04-05-2017 05:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by starbai (Post 2663085)

Im told that it makes a difference when you've got a baby in one hand and trying to load stuff in another hand. Tryina convince a buddy of mine to pick up a 4runner, and says he loves em' but a lack of a power lift gate for a 40k suv doesn't work for him.

My wife's MDX has a power lift gate and honestly I find it annoyingly slow to open or close. As for the loading stuff with a baby in arm... you get used to it by holding things in your armpits or between your knees. Or you adapt by realizing you can't do it all in one trip lol. This is coming from experience with two kids 18 months apart.

Antman 04-05-2017 05:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 1engineer (Post 2663067)
no..

not it.

Kenstyle 04-05-2017 09:32 PM

Can be done for $450 in parts. Here's a guy who did it on his Tesla Model S if you are so inclined w/ wiring and hacking your liftgate. Gonna need new struts and a way to power it, either installing a new batt in your trunk or running the wires up to the front of your car.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DF0MULS_Amw

Power operated tailgate lift assisting system TL105 ? Autoease

@Antman ? :)

Foques 04-05-2017 09:39 PM

switch to Highlander or Rav. Issue solved

Survsteve 04-05-2017 09:54 PM

Get the limited?.. i just lower the rear window from the outside with the push button and throw groceries in when i'm 1 handed.

BlackWorksInc 04-05-2017 10:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by starbai (Post 2663085)

Honestly, with how slow they open/close, how annoying they are in general, and how expensive as **** it is to fix when it breaks...

Tell your buddy to either drop the baby or put shit down and open the door like a man. His choice which he wants to drop first, I won't judge.

Joking aside, he would still have to reach for his keys or hit the button on the door, at which point he should have enough freedom to actually open the hatch by hand. I replace a lot of hatch struts and ECUs under recall/warranty for Rav4 & Highlander. The parts are NOT cheap (like easily close to a grand per shock), I wonder how long they'll last out of warranty.

This among other newer feature just makes me lose faith in humanity with each passing day... :/

Antman 04-05-2017 10:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BlackWorksInc (Post 2663360)
Honestly, with how slow they open/close, how annoying they are in general, and how expensive as **** it is to fix when it breaks...

Tell your buddy to either drop the baby or put shit down and open the door like a man. His choice which he wants to drop first, I won't judge.

Joking aside, he would still have to reach for his keys or hit the button on the door, at which point he should have enough freedom to actually open the hatch by hand. I replace a lot of hatch struts and ECUs under recall/warranty for Rav4 & Highlander. The parts are NOT cheap (like easily close to a grand per shock), I wonder how long they'll last out of warranty.

This among other newer feature just makes me lose faith in humanity with each passing day... :/

I agree. Powerliftgate = Vagina.

living4surf 04-05-2017 11:11 PM

I'm going with be glad you don't have more electronic things to fail later on

FourEyedWilly 04-06-2017 12:37 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by lojack323 (Post 2663096)
Or you adapt by realizing you can't do it all in one trip lol. This is coming from experience with two kids 18 months apart.

You're doing it wrong. One trip. Two trips is not allowed.

....at least I try to which my wife just rolls her eyes at me.

:banana:

FrontRange4Runner 04-06-2017 12:41 AM

The back window rolls down on the 4Runner. Roll down window, toss baby in, throw groceries on top to secure it and drive on home. Lift gate never has to open. Problem solved.

TRDSchin 04-06-2017 01:07 AM

Next thing you know they'll have automatic doors.. :der:

BlackWorksInc 04-06-2017 01:57 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TRDSchin (Post 2663474)
Next thing you know they'll have automatic doors.. :der:

Funny story... I'm so used to Sienna auto-sliding doors that when I went for lunch with some co-workers I'm standing there like a twit waiting for the door to open. Turns out that door wasn't working and that's what the used car guy was looking at before lunch. XD LMAO