Toyota 4Runner Forum - Largest 4Runner Forum

Toyota 4Runner Forum - Largest 4Runner Forum (https://www.toyota-4runner.org/)
-   Polls (https://www.toyota-4runner.org/polls/)
-   -   Tembo tusk or partner steel (https://www.toyota-4runner.org/polls/238172-tembo-tusk-partner-steel.html)

10010110 05-15-2017 02:28 AM

Tembo tusk or partner steel

Undecided between the two. Which one has more advantage than the other?

michaeljtomey 05-15-2017 02:29 PM

I've used both pretty extensively. Off The Grid Rentals has a Partner Steel two burner stove mounted in the rear hatch. It's a very nice, robust stove that can be compared to even a Coleman stovetop burner. It is VERY well made. I think it is kind of expensive though for what it does. It's robust but nothing special. I received a Tembo Tusk Skottle for Christmas this past year. It's gotta be one of the greatest camping tools that I own. Cooking is a blast and it is super easy to use and wash. It eliminates the need to carry multiple pots and pans. You can cook basically anything on it and if you keep the cast iron top well seasoned, it is nonstick. I've made perfect eggs non stick right after cooking a pound of bacon. Also, you can use the outer rim to keep the food warm while you cook other food in the middle. Since getting the skottle, I've found no need to ever pull out my coleman two burner stove. The ultimate selling point on the skottle is that you can remove the single burner from under the cooking surface so you can use it on a table top to boil water or make things that require a pot. It really is the only thing I need when I'm out camping. I even use the skottle at home!

Another note: Off the Grid Rentals is owned by my close relative. He too owns a skottle. I've yet to see him use his Partner Steel stove in the trailer since he got his tembo tusk.

Bumbo 05-16-2017 04:00 PM

I think I just found my next camp cooking tool... never knew about it but the Tembo tusk looks awesome.

I always wanted a Partner steel but as a budget option I bought a Camp Chef Everest...

I consider them to be similar enough, but I always have to bring table, a cask iron skillet or a cast iron griddle which fits nicely over the entire thing.

The biggest problem is I find it bulky, and after cooking with it I decided that having something not tied to a truck or trailer is kinda nice which was going to be my plan with the Partner Steel.

My current setup, but Tembo tusk looks like a winner to me.

http://i.imgur.com/WD0oaXb.jpg?1

TerraCrawler 07-20-2017 10:28 PM

I just pulled the trigger on the Skottle. I got the Blue Ridge Overland Gear version because their "kit" comes more complete than others, and I wanted all that stuff they include (wind guard, lid, storages cases, burner, etc.).

I think, based on everything I have read, I am going to love this thing. I am not much of a cook but I am going to learn!

What I don't like, is the the shipping is a bit extreme. I have ordered over $12k in overland gear just in the last 60 days, some things are high on shipping, some low.......I always try to be smart about it and maybe even buy a little more if I can get free shipping. But with the Skottle, everyone charges a lot, which I assume mean's Tembo Tusk is charging everyone a lot. About $70 for standard USPS........that is over twice where it really needs to be. All said and done it was $364.39 for the Skottle Kit............that's way more than I wanted to spend, but yeah, I wanted it, so I paid it..........

sn_85 07-22-2017 01:16 AM

I'd say it depends on the situation. If you're going to integrate the partner steel into your rig with a pull out slide and going to keep pots/pans in the truck with drawers or bins then I'd go with partner steel. If you're looking for a more non-permanent and mobile system then I'd go with Tembo Tusk. I have a camp chef everest and tembo tusk and more than likely from here on out will be going with the tembo tusk. I don't think it's this revolutionary thing that others say it is but it's convenient to have since I only need to bring the skottle to cook on and my small jet boil to boil water for my coffee.

TerraCrawler 07-22-2017 02:30 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sn_85 (Post 2754569)
I don't think it's this revolutionary thing that others say it is but it's convenient to have since I only need to bring the skottle to cook on and my small jet boil to boil water for my coffee.

Isn't the Jetboil unnecessary though, I mean couldn't you just utilize the Tembo's burner to boil water?

ToyoT4R 07-22-2017 03:23 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Signal (Post 2754599)
Isn't the Jetboil unnecessary though, I mean couldn't you just utilize the Tembo's burner to boil water?

The Jetboil will boil water faster and the built in French Press is great. It's nice to have both the Jetboil and the skottle.

greatape 07-22-2017 08:34 AM

I have both the PS 22in and the TT skottle.

The PS is hard mounted on a slide under the fridge in the cargo bay which is very convenient. I've owned a lottt of camp stoves but the PS is way beyond any stoves I've used over the decades.

The Skottle is very nice too and makes for a super easy cleanup and properly taken care of, it will last for a long time as well.

I don't think you could go wrong with either but if I did have to choose. Even with the downside of washing pots/pans, I would go with the PS being that I firmly believe this stove will last beyond a lifetime.

sn_85 07-22-2017 12:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Signal (Post 2754599)

Well there's a few reason for that. The only camping pot I have is rather large (3L?) and I find that I never really need one that big. The jet boil is good for 750mL so just perfect coffee and I can boil water while cooking on the skottle and do both at the same time. Even if I cook with the skottle there are times I just feel lazy and don't want to cook a whole meal so I just bring either some ramen or dehydrated meals. Plus given the size of a jet boil it's just really convenient to have.

Quote:

Originally Posted by ToyoT4R (Post 2754605)
The Jetboil will boil water faster and the built in French Press is great. It's nice to have both the Jetboil and the skottle.

Yup, exactly.