Toyota 4Runner Forum - Largest 4Runner Forum

Toyota 4Runner Forum - Largest 4Runner Forum (https://www.toyota-4runner.org/)
-   Off-Roading (https://www.toyota-4runner.org/off-roading/)
-   -   Allegheny and shenandoah overland trail (https://www.toyota-4runner.org/off-roading/239771-allegheny-shenandoah-overland-trail.html)

Sleeter 06-17-2017 09:50 AM

Allegheny and shenandoah overland trail

After 6 months of planning, mapping, and scouting we have successfully verified the ALLEGHENY AND SHENANDOAH OVERLAND TRAIL.

allegheny-and-shenandoah-overland-trail_v1.1.kmz | Gaia GPS

This 700 mile route takes you to George Washington National Forest, Flagpole Knob, Reddish Knob, Lake Moomaw, Monongahela National Forest, Canaan Loop, Dolly Sods, and Green Ridge State Forest.This route can be completed by most stock 4x4s with good AT tires. Expect pin-striping, mud, dust, and water crossings. It is recommended that parties be equipped for self-recovery and travel with at least one other vehicle.

Those of you that took part in the Spring "overland" trip George Washington National Forest - Toyota 4Runner Forum - Largest 4Runner Forum have laready completed 200 miles of the 700 mile loop.

@carlos.elmotor @propain @08runnertjb @Dougthelurk @Boyds4Runner @Antman , @Runn4est @MountainClimber78 @Toy4Rnner @Icepuck72 @BMeister @4RnR Grl @floridafj80 @Hertz4R @Localmotion @Whitelion @GHARP57 @DavidR1

Total loop can be completed in four (4) 7-10hr days.

Some dispersed and traditional camp sites are marked with waypoints, there are many other places to camp along the route. Some restaurants and points-of-interest are marked with waypoints for convenience.

The largest town along the route is Keyser WV, limited services are also available in Wardensville VA and Davis WV.

Cell service is very limited throughout the trail and nearly non-existent on the southern half of the loop.

This route is posted free of charge for use of the public, this route shall not be sold or traded and will remain in the public domain.

Outbound Overland assumes no responsibility or liability for the safety or actions of those who use this route and data.

Tread Lightly!

Route data can be downloaded at: allegheny-and-shenandoah-overland-trail_v1.1.kmz | Gaia GPS
Below is a video of us crossing the Dry Fork river in WV along the route.

carlos.elmotor 06-17-2017 10:44 AM

Awesome work guys!

FYSA: @08runnertjb @n2advnture @01100101

n2advnture 06-17-2017 11:16 AM

Badass :thumb:

08runnertjb 06-17-2017 04:44 PM

I'm excited. When do we go?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G870A using Tapatalk

dcTR4 06-17-2017 05:52 PM

Sign me up

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

greatape 06-17-2017 05:53 PM

Nice..it's a beautiful area

Dougthelurk 06-17-2017 09:49 PM

I'm about due for some camping.

carlos.elmotor 06-18-2017 10:26 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 08runnertjb (Post 2725981)
I'm excited. When do we go?

They ran it a couple of weeks ago. I just sent you the heads up so you'd have the route and know what we were up to.

08runnertjb 06-18-2017 12:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by carlos.elmotor (Post 2726384)
They ran it a couple of weeks ago. I just sent you the heads up so you'd have the route and know what we were up to.

I'm excited. It's going to be a great season.

carlos.elmotor 06-18-2017 12:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 08runnertjb (Post 2726441)
I'm excited. It's going to be a great season.

Agreed. Stoked to hear that you might make the family trip.

We're doing a dry run w/ my youngest in 2wk to see if she can hang for the group trip.

Unner 06-19-2017 11:04 PM

Very cool! I'll be looking into this for sure! Maybe this fall.

DavidR1 07-06-2017 09:17 AM

Any plans to complete parts of this route during the fall of this year?

Breadman03 07-06-2017 09:38 AM

Benjamins, or more specifically the lack thereof, say that I can't do this trail anytime soon. Perhaps I will be back in a position to do so next summer with the kids.

cody maverick 07-06-2017 09:49 AM

Awesome! Will have to check it out for sure. Any events coming up for a group?

djelectron 02-25-2018 12:00 PM

So, what to do post-breakup when your ex is on the vacation you planned together and you have the week off?? I'm leaving tomorrow morning to run this route!

My only real concern is air. I don't have on board air. I am only ever off road at the beach, and I air up at the stations they have set up by the ORV exit. Anyway, this is my first real trip overland. I'm going because I don't exactly know if I can. My hangup is air. I don't want to get a $50 compressor that won't fill my 33s only to have it fail. I planned to do ARB on board air at some point, but this trip opportunity came up suddenly.

To anyone that has run this before, are there opportunities for air at gas stations etc along the route, or do I have to have some source with me???