Toyota 4Runner Forum - Largest 4Runner Forum

Toyota 4Runner Forum - Largest 4Runner Forum (https://www.toyota-4runner.org/)
-   Off Topic (https://www.toyota-4runner.org/off-topic/)
-   -   4Runner Rock Climbers (https://www.toyota-4runner.org/off-topic/240802-4runner-rock-climbers.html)

alirawk 07-08-2017 11:47 AM

4Runner Rock Climbers

1 Attachment(s)
Hello Folks

Often when I look around this forum I discover other rock climbers, and by which I mean humans climbing rocks with hands and feet. I would love to get a thread going for us to connect. Perhaps do some wheeling to some remote crags and pull routes. Or locate belay buddies when on the road. And of course, a little beta is always welcome.

So if you're a climber, please consider posting on here. Let us know where you are (location/local crag), what sort of climbing you do (rock climber/boulderer/mountaineer), and level of experience (5.12/V5/Grade VI).

Hope to connect with a few you intrepid folks soon and maybe set up some expeditions.

Thanks.

alirawk 07-08-2017 11:50 AM

Los Angeles Trad climber

Location: Los Angeles (climb all around here: Malibu, Echo, Joshua Tree, Tahquitz)

Climbing preference: Trad, but happy to do sport or even top rope. Always happy to jump on some boulders too. Mostly though, I like jamming my nuts into cracks.

Experience/level: 5.10 trad lead in Joshua Tree, 5.11+ sport climbing.

ALWAYS LOOKING FOR SOLID PARTNERS!

theesotericone 07-10-2017 12:41 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by alirawk (Post 2743343)
Experience/level: 5.10 trad lead in Joshua Tree, 5.11+ sport climbing.

ALWAYS LOOKING FOR SOLID PARTNERS!

I was just thinking of starting a climbing BS thread the other day. So I'll play

I'm in Bishop CA. Been climbing for 17 years.

I do it all.

Lead 11 trad, 5.12 sport and boulder v8

Huevos is a great 11+ sport route in J-tree. It's located on Intersection and doesn't see nearly the traffic it deserves. It's got a pretty serious 5.9ish runout(groundfall) to get the first bolt clipped but it's super safe by JT standards after that. In typical JT fashion it's hard for the grade. lol

Hepar 07-10-2017 12:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by theesotericone (Post 2744437)
I was just thinking of starting a climbing BS thread the other day. So I'll play

I'm in Bishop CA. Been climbing for 17 years.

I do it all.

Lead 11 trad, 5.12 sport and boulder v8

Huevos is a great 11+ sport route in J-tree. It's located on Intersection and doesn't see nearly the traffic it deserves. It's got a pretty serious 5.9ish runout(groundfall) to get the first bolt clipped but it's super safe by JT standards after that. In typical JT fashion it's hard for the grade. lol

How do you like living there? I've been climbing for around the same amount of time. Spent a few years in the Bay Area to have better access to places like Bishop, Tahoe, Yosemite, etc etc.

Been a boulderer almost exclusively. Climb around the V10/V11 range with the occasional V12, but if you put me on a sport lead, I'd probably sh*t my pants on a 10d.

Bodie the Dog 07-10-2017 01:21 PM

Me, when I need to.

1 Attachment(s)
Generally just mountaineering, but I've always enjoyed a good free solo, when necessary to get somewhere or when the rock is just plain cool looking. I've always been too lazy to carry all the gear, and for me, rock climbing is mostly a way to get past the obstacle, lol.

I've probably done more climbing inside of caves than outside under the sun, so I do have a couple harnesses and jumars, etc.

There is some nice rock in my area, and bet I could find you some first ascents if anyone is interested. I've been eyeing a small pillar above Bear Valley, and there's a 100'er buried down in the canyons near Monumental Ridge that I'd love to stand on top of.

I probably don't have to tell you all, but there's just something about standing on top of a pillar, with nothing but air all around you....

Mt. Lassen, circa 1987

Bodie the Dog 07-10-2017 01:26 PM

Owens Gorge area

1 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by Hepar (Post 2744706)
How do you like living there? I've been climbing for around the same amount of time. Spent a few years in the Bay Area to have better access to places like Bishop, Tahoe, Yosemite, etc etc.

Been a boulderer almost exclusively. Climb around the V10/V11 range with the occasional V12, but if you put me on a sport lead, I'd probably sh*t my pants on a 10d.

Shame about all the visitation to Owens Gorge. I used to hang out there before the hordes discovered it. Are there really no good sites further south, or is this just the Mammoth Lakes/LA crowd? Otherwise, I'd fricken love to live near Mammoth Lakes, lucky bastard.

Here's a pic of one of the Monuments of Monumental Creek. Looks easy, eh? But I'm too chicken to go it alone.

theesotericone 07-10-2017 07:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Hepar (Post 2744706)

Let's put it this way. I spent 6 years living out of my van and climbing all over the US, Canada, and Mexico. Bishop is where I decided to call home. It's truly year round climbing.

Funny thing is, before I moved to Bishop, I was exclusively a roped climber. Mainly trad. I'd boulder on "rest' days but that was about it. Then about 5 years ago I hit a small plateau in my roped climbing. I couldn't get up hard 5.12. I never worked stuff so if it didn't go down in two or three tries that was it.

A good buddy told me I should go bouldering for a few months to get some power. That few months morphed into about 6 months. When I finally got back on a rope I crushed every route that had stopped me first or second try.

Since then I spend my summers in the Sierra, shoulder seasons roped up, and boulder all winter long. I've sent a few V10's but still consider myself a V8 boulderer. Meaning I can get it up it in a session, not 20.

I never liked projecting on a rope and still don't but I dig getting onto something super hard bouldering. The fact that something feels impossible the first few tries then suddenly becomes a maybe after 30 or 40. Then get's done after 41. It's brilliant.

OkieMedic 07-11-2017 05:42 AM

Ive always thought about rock climbing, but:

1. Oklahoma is flat
2. I'm afraid of heights

....Ok, so maybe rock climbing isnt for me.

RAD4Runner 07-11-2017 06:13 AM

Had only done top-roped indoor and little wall climbs, but mostly into general mountaineering. Please keep us posted if there's opportunity for less hard-core climbs in So Cal.
Quote:

Originally Posted by alirawk (Post 2743343)
... I like jamming my nuts into cracks.

Watch her finger that crack!
That's a nice rack she's got!
LOL!

txclimber 07-11-2017 08:27 AM

Been climbing 15 years. 5.12, V7, sport and trad. Half the year climbing overhanging limestone in Texas, the other half in the desert of SE Utah climbing cracks.

[IMG]http://i889.photobucket.com/albums/a...r/_DSC2099.jpg~original[/IMG]

Hepar 07-11-2017 10:55 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by theesotericone (Post 2745125)
Let's put it this way. I spent 6 years living out of my van and climbing all over the US, Canada, and Mexico. Bishop is where I decided to call home. It's truly year round climbing.

Funny thing is, before I moved to Bishop, I was exclusively a roped climber. Mainly trad. I'd boulder on "rest' days but that was about it. Then about 5 years ago I hit a small plateau in my roped climbing. I couldn't get up hard 5.12. I never worked stuff so if it didn't go down in two or three tries that was it.

A good buddy told me I should go bouldering for a few months to get some power. That few months morphed into about 6 months. When I finally got back on a rope I crushed every route that had stopped me first or second try.

Since then I spend my summers in the Sierra, shoulder seasons roped up, and boulder all winter long. I've sent a few V10's but still consider myself a V8 boulderer. Meaning I can get it up it in a session, not 20.

I never liked projecting on a rope and still don't but I dig getting onto something super hard bouldering. The fact that something feels impossible the first few tries then suddenly becomes a maybe after 30 or 40. Then get's done after 41. It's brilliant.

Nice. I considered Bishop at one point, but too far from the ocean and surfing is my other main passion. I really feel the PNW is amazing for both.

I hear you on the grades too. I've climbed two V13's, but would never consider myself a 13 climber.

And we have the opposite issue. I really need to get onto ropes because my endurance SUCKS.

Evilution is easily one of my favorite lines that I've ever seen/done.

Quote:

Originally Posted by OkieMedic (Post 2745436)
Ive always thought about rock climbing, but:

1. Oklahoma is flat
2. I'm afraid of heights

....Ok, so maybe rock climbing isnt for me.

Don't let that hold you back. With the explosion of indoor climbing, there are gyms popping up everywhere. And I always thought I had a fear of heights, but climbing showed me that wasn't true. More of a fear of falling.

tpham18nm 07-11-2017 04:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by alirawk (Post 2743339)
Hello Folks

Often when I look around this forum I discover other rock climbers, and by which I mean humans climbing rocks with hands and feet. I would love to get a thread going for us to connect. Perhaps do some wheeling to some remote crags and pull routes. Or locate belay buddies when on the road. And of course, a little beta is always welcome.

So if you're a climber, please consider posting on here. Let us know where you are (location/local crag), what sort of climbing you do (rock climber/boulderer/mountaineer), and level of experience (5.12/V5/Grade VI).

Hope to connect with a few you intrepid folks soon and maybe set up some expeditions.

Thanks.

I'm thinking about heading up to Yosemite to do some climbing this July 14-19 (somewhere in that time frame). I would love for you to come climb with me and show me the ropes up there.

I prefer sport climbing or trad. I have cams from micro to blue BD (doubles from purple-blue). A set of Wild Country Cams and 2 sets of stoppers.

It'll be cool to climb, message me if interested.

Koko4 07-11-2017 04:54 PM

I've been climbing off and on since high school, but haven't kept up with it as much as I should. My arms are always pumped after a few routes. My girlfriend and I were in the habit of going to a local rock gym that offers $5 "climb cheap" from 7-9pm on Tuesdays, but we haven't done that in a bit. I enjoy top-roping at the gym, mainly because my girlfriend doesn't know how to belay sport. I've also been to a few outdoor spots - Yonah in North GA and Sandrock in Alabama. Absolutely nothing compared to what you guys have out west, though!

KEWW Pro 07-11-2017 05:56 PM

I don't fear gravity as much as I have a Profound Respect for it.

That said I am a nut for long (and short) rappels. Currently maxed out at 851' a couple dozen times off the New River Gorge Bride in WV but have my eyes set on a near future trip to rappel El Cap...[insert appropriate excited emoji here]

As a matter of fact Fayetteville, WV seems to get flooded with 4Runners on Bridge Day of all build types. Probably because there are hundreds of base jumpers, hundreds of rappelers, and thousands of otherwise adventurous type folks at the same place at the same time!

So not to divert the thread but I have been on the walls of the gorge down there too and if I remember correctly from a guided excursion our group took in '15, I managed to top out a smallish 5.10 without resetting to establish the top belay for the rest of the group. I have tons of respect for climbers and their patience and strength and perseverance. I would LOVE to get into that culture but how many hobbies can one man have?

I will be keeping an eye on this thread and hope to maybe catch up with some of you on a rock face during some random overland trip I schedule in the future. Happy Climbing!

alirawk 07-11-2017 06:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tpham18nm (Post 2745888)
I'm thinking about heading up to Yosemite to do some climbing this July 14-19 (somewhere in that time frame). I would love for you to come climb with me and show me the ropes up there.

I prefer sport climbing or trad. I have cams from micro to blue BD (doubles from purple-blue). A set of Wild Country Cams and 2 sets of stoppers.

It'll be cool to climb, message me if interested.

Oh man -- I wish I could. We have family staying with us this weekend and then my wife and I hit the road for a bit of a road trip. Let's talk through DM and set up a plan in August or October (I'll be gone for much of Sept.)

Thanks so much for reaching out.