Toyota 4Runner Forum - Largest 4Runner Forum

Toyota 4Runner Forum - Largest 4Runner Forum (https://www.toyota-4runner.org/)
-   4th Gen T4Rs (https://www.toyota-4runner.org/4th-gen-t4rs/)
-   -   Sunroof Rattle--how much is normal? *video* (https://www.toyota-4runner.org/4th-gen-t4rs/249479-sunroof-rattle-how-much-normal-*video*.html)

USA591 01-14-2018 04:46 PM

Sunroof Rattle--how much is normal? *video*

Hi Team,

Just installed an Icon suspension and KO2's. I've noticed a few more rattles here and there because of the tighter ride, especially in the sunroof.

After quick inspection, there are no obvious things that are loose. So my question is: how much play is normal up there?

Check out my video and let me know what you think--the sunroof is in the fully closed position:

https://vimeo.com/251065562/34cf1478be

Thanks!

AuSeeker 01-14-2018 05:17 PM

I don't have any rattles coming from my sunroof, so I would say none is normal, but others may say differently.

Kyotea 01-14-2018 05:34 PM

I've never noticed any either and I usually notice all the rattles

smurray711 01-14-2018 05:46 PM

The last ten miles home are on a dirt road. When snow is weighting the top of my sun roof the rattling is horrible. Granted I have an 03’ but now that I have noticed it, the noise has been driving me crazy. Would love a troubleshoot list.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

aabottom 01-14-2018 05:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by USA591 (Post 2885571)
Hi Team,

Just installed an Icon suspension and KO2's. I've noticed a few more rattles here and there because of the tighter ride, especially in the sunroof.

After quick inspection, there are no obvious things that are loose. So my question is: how much play is normal up there?

Check out my video and let me know what you think--the sunroof is in the fully closed position:

https://vimeo.com/251065562/34cf1478be

Thanks!

A: In the T4Rs listed below, no play, no rattle is normal.

unevolved 01-14-2018 06:30 PM

I've got the same problem. Occasionally it'll go away if I tilt it up, put some rags under it, and lower it back down, but it always comes back. Not sure what to replace to fix it.

Gatafly 01-14-2018 07:34 PM

Mine rattles more than I like. Done a couple fixes posted on here, but no help. The roof can be pushed upwards and does not seal very well. Water leaked in at a car wash. I Djusted the best I could. Sure wish I never had a sunroof.

MightyP 01-14-2018 08:35 PM

I have Icons on my 07 Sport and no rattle at all from the sunroof. 167k miles

USA591 01-15-2018 02:39 AM

Thanks for the feedback.

The quickest fix is to tilt the back up in vent mode. This takes care of it by putting pressure on the rear end and eliminating the play in the mechanism.

Next step: deep diving into “sunroof removal/maintenance”. Ha.

Would love to hear any ideas.

6wheelin 01-15-2018 03:07 AM

:pout:
Quote:

Originally Posted by USA591 (Post 2885881)
Thanks for the feedback.

The quickest fix is to tilt the back up in vent mode. This takes care of it by putting pressure on the rear end and eliminating the play in the mechanism.

I have an 05 and have the rattle back passenger side of the sunroof. I'm curious about how to fix it. I also installed an Icon stage 2 kit and sized up to 285/75/16 Goodyear Wrangler MTR's but I heard the rattle before these mods. It shouldn't rattle and mine leaks too :(

dta1984 01-15-2018 09:08 AM

Subscribed. I've got the same sunroof rattle. No leaks. Sometimes opening and closing it seems to help temporarily.

blackoutt 01-15-2018 09:46 AM

I always thought this rattle was my roof rack until I took it off, turns out it's the sunroof. After extensive digging around on this forum here's what I've found on sunroof rattles:

1. rod silence fix - put a rubber hose or zipties around one of the rods up there (this is not your rattle so it most likely won't help you)

2. sunroof guide rail grease - tilt your sunroof up, remove the two black plastic covers that are on one side covering the mechanism. You'll see the guide track for the glass, it's a zig zaggy shaped guide that a pin slides in. The rattle you and I have is from the pin being able to move vertically in that guide track. Some people mention tapping the tilt button to preload the pin against the top of the guide rail and preventing the rattle temporarily. Lots of discussion on Audi forums about panoramic roofs rattling and they simple grease the guide with some super heavy grease. I haven't looked around for what grease is best to use here but something very thick to help cushion the pin.

3. stuff it fix - The opposite of preloading the rear up with the tilt function is to close something, rags, rubber vacuum cap, etc. under the glass to immobilize it. This is what I'm running with currently for the winter but will make opening the glass in the summer a pain.

4. gummi pflege stift - Some people will say that the track is supposed to be this loose and the issue is really that your rubber is not sealing to the roof to hold the glass in place properly. The rubber is not available separate from the glass so I've started a regimen of the best rubber treatment that there is out there (also from german car days, rattling hard top convertible fix) this stuff called "gummi pflege stift" to attempt to restore the sunroof rubber back to it's original state. I don't think this has helped my rattle at all, might have been too far gone to save, but it does make you feel good when restoring all the door seals on your entire rig.

5. the dealer favorite - "your guide track is worn out and is only available as an assembly" remove and replace entire sunroof mechanism.

(picture from another vehicle, ignore the circles, just for reference of what the guide track looks kind of like)
https://www.diyauto.com/uploads/user...1464248468.jpg

DZNUTS 01-15-2018 10:00 AM

You can buy a little ‘sunroof track maintenance’ kit from the dealership

rmarkey 01-27-2018 01:12 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DZNUTS (Post 2885929)
You can buy a little ‘sunroof track maintenance’ kit from the dealership

Wonder what that runs and entails???

Sent from my XT1650 using Tapatalk

Gatafly 01-27-2018 12:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by USA591 (Post 2885881)
Thanks for the feedback.

[Let me know if you find a solution. Mine is exactly the same as yours and it drives me nuts. I will let you be the guinea pig though.😁