Toyota 4Runner Forum - Largest 4Runner Forum

Toyota 4Runner Forum - Largest 4Runner Forum (https://www.toyota-4runner.org/)
-   4th Gen T4Rs (https://www.toyota-4runner.org/4th-gen-t4rs/)
-   -   Metaltech LT medium or heavy springs (https://www.toyota-4runner.org/4th-gen-t4rs/251363-metaltech-lt-medium-heavy-springs.html)

Monkey Wrench 02-21-2018 02:45 PM

Metaltech LT medium or heavy springs

Hi everyone,

I've searched for info regarding the new Metaltech long travel springs, but can't find what I'm looking for. Does anyone have hub to fender measurements for the next gen HD or medium springs?

I'm torn between the medium and heavy springs. I have full skids and sliders, roof basket, full size 33" spare, but no aftermarket bumper. I do have 200-500 pounds of camping gear fairly often.

I've been running standard Superflex springs and have been happy with those (other than wanting more travel), so maybe that answers my question....

Drunner97 02-21-2018 04:37 PM

If you're not going to run an aftermarket bumper then the 2" Medium coils will work fine. They'll be a little stiff unloaded, but perfect loaded.

I recently just moved to the heavy 3" coil to handle the weight of the rear bumper I put on after 2 years of the medium coils and no bumper. It handles the weight perfectly unloaded, and even better loaded.

Monkey Wrench 02-21-2018 04:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Drunner97 (Post 2916525)
If you're not going to run an aftermarket bumper then the 2" Medium coils will work fine. They'll be a little stiff unloaded, but perfect loaded.

I recently just moved to the heavy 3" coil to handle the weight of the rear bumper I put on after 2 years of the medium coils and no bumper. It handles the weight perfectly unloaded, and even better loaded.

Thanks, Drunner97. Is the back sitting level? Driver's side lean annoys the $h!t out of me.

Drunner97 02-21-2018 04:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Monkey Wrench (Post 2916538)
Thanks, Drunner97. Is the back sitting level? Driver's side lean annoys the $h!t out of me.

Great thing about the MT coils is that there's a driver specific coil that helps with the lean. I was sitting pretty level before, now I have some forward rake because of the 3" coils but I just had my front coil overs rebuilt and I haven't adjusted the collars yet. The 2" coils just couldn't handle the weight of the bumper and the camping gear together though so I had to go up 1"

Inv4drZm 02-21-2018 04:55 PM

With the 3" rear lift it's impossible to level the front out with it unless you crank your coilovers all the way and have close to no droop on the front. Might bother the guys that take tape measures to their wheel wells to get them all within 1/16". I have the heavy coils and they have rode fine for me with no rear bumper but full skid plates.

Drunner97 02-21-2018 04:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Inv4drZm (Post 2916549)
With the 3" rear lift it's impossible to level the front out with it unless you crank your coilovers all the way and have close to no droop on the front. Might bother the guys that take tape measures to their wheel wells to get them all within 1/16". I have the heavy coils and they have rode fine for me with no rear bumper but full skid plates.

I still have to cut about another 1-1 1/2 inches off my fender so I couldn't get it even if I wanted to by measuring, hahaha. I just need a little more height because I'm hitting the top of the wheel well like crazy with these 35s on hard hits.

Monkey Wrench 02-21-2018 05:00 PM

Sorry, I meant to ask if the back is level side to side, not front to back. The main reason I'm thinking of Metaltech springs is because they are side specific to get rid of the driver's side lean.

I prefer some rake when unloaded, that way the rear is equal or still higher than the front when loaded down.

Please post up your hub to fender measurements. Thanks!

Inv4drZm 02-21-2018 09:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Monkey Wrench (Post 2916553)
Sorry, I meant to ask if the back is level side to side, not front to back. The main reason I'm thinking of Metaltech springs is because they are side specific to get rid of the driver's side lean.

I prefer some rake when unloaded, that way the rear is equal or still higher than the front when loaded down.

Please post up your hub to fender measurements. Thanks!

25.75 driver
26.75 passenger

Most, maybe all of the difference is due to 1"+ of front lift difference (haven't adjusted my coilovers "properly"), full gas tank, a 50lb tool bag behind the driver's seat, and measurement error. The 03'-05' 4Runners have flat topped fenders so keep that in mind. I'm not sure what the measurement error is between the years if any.

Edit: I have a 1.5" body lift

Monkey Wrench 02-22-2018 12:01 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Inv4drZm (Post 2916775)
25.75 driver
26.75 passenger

Most, maybe all of the difference is due to 1"+ of front lift difference (haven't adjusted my coilovers "properly"), full gas tank, a 50lb tool bag behind the driver's seat, and measurement error. The 03'-05' 4Runners have flat topped fenders so keep that in mind. I'm not sure what the measurement error is between the years if any.

Always appreciate your help.

drbyrdman 02-23-2018 12:00 PM

I just swapped out my 2" superflex for the new HD LT Metal Tech springs. It lifted my rig 2" inches more. I think I got a total of 4" of lift with them. The lean is 1/4" now in the back.

NinjaOne 02-23-2018 12:28 PM

I'm running their med springs, can snag a measurement on lunch. I am running a hybrid rear bumper, so not quite stock rear weight. EDIT: 24" in the rear fender/hub measurement

Dobinsons has a ton more spring options, you might try contacting them for something closer to what you need if you're going to be changing your load weight frequently. They should have something between the 2" and 3" metaltech offerings.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Inv4drZm (Post 2916775)
25.75 driver
26.75 passenger

Those numbers adjusted for bodylift?

LTDSC 02-23-2018 12:28 PM

the MT LT 2" springs are amazing. I am now going to swap to the 3" springs because my tent and my drawer system is causing too much weight in the back. It should ride like it did without the weight with my 3" springs once they break in.

I wouldnt hesitate buying the MTLT springs.

Monkey Wrench 02-23-2018 12:58 PM

Are the HD 3" springs rated at 3" of lift without added weight, or are they a 3" lift with several hundred pounds?

LTDSC 02-23-2018 01:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Monkey Wrench (Post 2918360)
Are the HD 3" springs rated at 3" of lift without added weight, or are they a 3" lift with several hundred pounds?

all height numbers are unloaded

Drunner97 02-23-2018 01:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Monkey Wrench (Post 2918360)

I'll measure for you this weekend once I get the rig unloaded completely since I'm not running a body lift and they got some break in time on the dirt. I am running a 200 lb steel bumper with full size 35 on the swing out. With the 2" medium coils I sagged about 1/2-1" after I put the bumper on. I expect once the heavy coils finish settling I'll end up with roughly a 2-2 1/2" lift fully loaded.