Toyota 4Runner Forum - Largest 4Runner Forum

Toyota 4Runner Forum - Largest 4Runner Forum (https://www.toyota-4runner.org/)
-   3rd gen T4Rs (https://www.toyota-4runner.org/3rd-gen-t4rs/)
-   -   rkntoy's Oil Changes and Broken Things (https://www.toyota-4runner.org/3rd-gen-t4rs/252959-rkntoys-oil-changes-broken-things.html)

rkntoy 03-24-2018 10:56 AM

rkntoy's Oil Changes and Broken Things

Too many build threads around so I figured I would start a thread on my oil changes and things I break. If there are questions on my mods I will answer those here as well so that I don't have to keep replying to the same PMs.

Thanks for watching - next oil change in 2,855 miles.

rkntoy 03-24-2018 11:01 AM

3 Attachment(s)
Anyone broken a CV in this spot before? My only Moab carnage.

audiness 03-24-2018 11:18 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by rkntoy (Post 2941787)

damn, were you able to lock the center diff and drive home, or did you have to trail-repair it?

Tyler James Inc 03-24-2018 04:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by audiness (Post 2941813)
damn, were you able to lock the center diff and drive home, or did you have to trail-repair it?

Center diff [emoji23] Rkntoy has a real 4WD [emoji6]
Also interested if you needed to replace it to get through the trail you were on though! That's a pretty crazy break.
Let's hear more about these oil changes though. Lol
How often to you change? And what oil do you use? That should get some people fired up.

theesotericone 03-25-2018 02:57 AM

Quote:

Weren't we just talking about IFS, 37's, and breaking CV's in some other thread recently? I'm guessing even smart wheeling didn't have a chance of stopping that failure.

I was hoping dual cases would help prevent that sort of thing but maybe the extra torque will make it happen more not less? What where you doing when it snapped?

rkntoy 03-25-2018 11:32 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tyler James Inc (Post 2942051)
Center diff [emoji23] Rkntoy has a real 4WD [emoji6]
Also interested if you needed to replace it to get through the trail you were on though! That's a pretty crazy break.
Let's hear more about these oil changes though. Lol
How often to you change? And what oil do you use? That should get some people fired up.

I like 5-30, late nights in the snow, and wind through my half doors.

Satoshi grill anyone? Should prevent premature cv issues

rkntoy 03-25-2018 11:42 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by theesotericone (Post 2942373)
Weren't we just talking about IFS, 37's, and breaking CV's in some other thread recently? I'm guessing even smart wheeling didn't have a chance of stopping that failure.

I was hoping dual cases would help prevent that sort of thing but maybe the extra torque will make it happen more not less? What where you doing when it snapped?

Not supposed to break there. CV cage should have gone first. We will see if I can break it there again in the future.

Picked a bad line on a steep (read STEEP) downhill on Hell's Revenge and was backing up to realign. Most of the weight was on the front tires. Should have let it creep at idle but gave it some gas because I was concerned about what would happen if I rolled forward.

Funny thing - it was such a jagged break mostly inside where the wheel bearing is it still worked to drive the wheel. Thought I had broken the CV cage - nope the CV and wheel still turns. Then I thought it was the gears in the manual hub - nope they looked in great shape. Convinced myself it was the locker releasing when I went from forward to reverse under load. Only indication of something else was that the locking hub was hard to turn.

Still drove the rest of the trail and back to Bend.

For 6 days in Moab on 37s I will take it.

rkntoy 03-25-2018 11:50 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by audiness (Post 2941813)

It kept for 3 weeks including finishing Hells Revenge and the drive back to Bend from Moab.

Trail swapping these is easy-peasy compared to some of the axle shafts in my old straight-axled rigs. Usually 15-20 minutes. If you have not done the manual hub swap it is even faster.

BigFishAllDay 03-26-2018 12:00 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by rkntoy (Post 2941783)
Too many build threads around...

Definitely agree, but...

So far this thread sucks dog farts. At least post a pic of the rig in Moab, as mentioned below. I would definitely enjoy seeing some pics/info on your setup.

Quote:

Originally Posted by rkntoy (Post 2942537)
It kept for 3 weeks including finishing Hells Revenge and the drive back to Bend from Moab.

rkntoy 03-26-2018 11:26 AM

6 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by BigFishAllDay (Post 2943067)
Definitely agree, but...

So far this thread sucks dog farts. At least post a pic of the rig in Moab, as mentioned below. I would definitely enjoy seeing some pics/info on your setup.

OK - was in lead most of the time so not too many pics of mine.

rkntoy 03-26-2018 11:28 AM

1 Attachment(s)
And only one from Saturday after slapping my rig back together.

Tyler James Inc 03-26-2018 12:45 PM

I didn't know you took the KO2's to Moab!
What do you think of them so far?

rkntoy 03-26-2018 01:23 PM

2 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by Tyler James Inc (Post 2943386)
I didn't know you took the KO2's to Moab!
What do you think of them so far?

Love them 90+% of the time. I am getting an "off-road" set of tires and mounting them up on beadlocks - especially for times like this:

rkntoy 03-27-2018 12:07 PM

Dual Case Install

Link to my dual case install and nail through finger pic.

http://www.toyota-4runner.org/3rd-ge...e-install.html

JZiggy 03-27-2018 12:34 PM

Quote:

Was this an OEM CV?