Toyota 4Runner Forum - Largest 4Runner Forum

Toyota 4Runner Forum - Largest 4Runner Forum (https://www.toyota-4runner.org/)
-   5th gen T4Rs (https://www.toyota-4runner.org/5th-gen-t4rs/)
-   -   Help Me Decide: SR5 Premium or TRD Offroad Premium... (https://www.toyota-4runner.org/5th-gen-t4rs/259059-help-me-decide-sr5-premium-trd-offroad-premium.html)

Hoss_Ballsnapper 06-28-2018 11:52 PM

Help Me Decide: SR5 Premium or TRD Offroad Premium...

Okay folks, 2nd time around here for me...

after the deer strike and totaling of our brand spankin' new 2018 TRD Offroad Premium (a mere 11 days after taking delivery of it and with 500 miles on the odometer) and all the insurance bullshit that I've had to go through (http://www.toyota-4runner.org/5th-ge...ml#post3002496 ), it's time to pull the trigger once again but...

I've got two OTD prices this time on two different 4Runners and I've about driven myself nuts over splitting financial hairs.

Long story short, we made 3k over our price on the first 4Runner (because we got a very nice deal that first time) and as things got closer to being finished with our insurer my brain started going into "that's a nice little bit of money... I wonder if I could save even more by bumping down to a SR5 Premium 4x4?" followed by, "I don't know if I'll ever truly use all those bells & whistles on that first TRD Offroad Premium anyway, and really do I even care about the wheels, hood scoop, red stitching and badges?" -- a mind with too much time on its hands can be a very strange thing indeed, and I've had too much time lately for thinking.

Truthfully, we will -at most- drive the thing offroad (and then, mainly fire roads and forest trails -- no crawling) about 10% of its lifetime... and yes, we intend to keep it until end of life (hopefully no more deer are in my future).

So, I'll put it to you all...

#1. 2018 SR5 Premium 4x4 w/moonroof... OTD at $36,000.00

#2. 2018 TRD Offroad Premium 4x4 w/moonroof... OTD at $37,850.00

and why?

Easyrider18 06-29-2018 12:01 AM

Go#1, no reason to get #2 since you aren't going to ever use the e-locker or non-functional hood scoop.

shrub1 06-29-2018 12:07 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Easyrider18 (Post 3016537)
Go#1, no reason to get #2 since you aren't going to ever use the e-locker or non-functional hood scoop.

Agree.

TwistedJake 06-29-2018 12:23 AM

I went through similar decision with mine a couple weeks ago. (SR5 vs TRDOR as I didn't want to pay for the Premium)

For me the deciding factor was the locker. Last real off road rig I built was my Cherokee and it was locked front and rear. I saw how much of a difference it made. I know it is a little apple to oranges comparison but I knew I wanted the locker. I may never use it, or very rarely use it in this rig, but I have the peace of mind knowing it is there.

The hood scoop was nice but I could have lived without it. In my opinion the interior upgrades were a huge deal. I just didn't care for the SR5 interior. (I came from a crew cab truck that was black on black leather and loved it.)

It sounds like you'd probably be perfectly fine with the SR5P, it would get you everywhere you want to go, but the one time you wish you had the locker you'll be upset you didn't spend the little more for it. Besides, you'll probably get it back in the end.

My $.02 and keep in mind I've only been a T4R owner for a couple weeks and mine is all stock until I have a free weekend.

mrblah 06-29-2018 12:29 AM

even though OP doesn't plan on selling his vehicle, I'd buy the trim level that has the highest perceived resale value that is within your budget. After all, our needs in vehicles changes as our life priorities change. That tells you what option I would choose.

Cymon 06-29-2018 07:12 AM

Get the SR5 Premium. Use the extra $ for travels, mods, investing, 401k etc. A-trac is not as good as a real locker but works more than well enough for your purposes. I’d love to have a Trail/TRD off-road model and the locker, just in case but I wanted a third-row. Our uses sound very similar to yours, although I did take a 4x4 101 course (along with another member on here who has a pretty tricked out Limited, also not locked at the time, and kept up with all of the lifted and locked Jeeps).

If you find in the future you “need” lockers, you can air lock it later for the price you saved.

arehman11 06-29-2018 08:15 AM

From a pure resale value perspective, the TRD Off Road will hold its value better due to being more desirable. Unless you need a 3rd row, go with the TRD.

1000MPH 06-29-2018 08:47 AM

Do the Trails, er Off Roads, still get the extra skid plate? Special colors? No mention of KDSS in your comparison. What about blacked out head and tail light assys? Still a thing? I was thinking along the same line as you when considering a replacement for my 2010 but the price difference was closer to 4K. I’d definitely do the trail for that kind of money.

mhalltnt 06-29-2018 09:25 AM

I just went thru the same thing a few weeks ago..... I was going more towards price between and SR5 and Limited. Mind you I wasn't buying new and was looking for a good deal.

So here was my deal I was looking for a 2014 or 2015 trying to stay under 30K

1. 2014 SR5 Premium 79k miles and asking $27,777

2. 2014 Limited 57k miles and asking $28,645

So I will let you take a guess which one I picked....lol

p0pe 06-29-2018 10:08 AM

Get the offroad. That isn't much of a price difference... the locker alone (+ offroad badge let's be honest here, lol) makes up for it and will be better for resale later even if you never use it, which I bet you will at some point if you have it.

MidnightOffRoad 06-29-2018 10:20 AM

Assuming there aren't any other differences in package (sliding cargo tray, floor mats, etc),

The differences are

1) SR5 has the automatic trans selector vs the manual gear lever on the OR and the Pro. I don't know WHY they opted for a manual lever on the Pro and the OR, but that's a difference.

2) ORP features little things like emblems in the seats, obviously the badges, the shift lever is TRD style, etc. None of these are significant, but they are differences.

3) Wheels. OR features the OR wheels, which in my opinion are not just better looking than the SR5 wheels, but they're functional (featuring protected stem openings).

4) KDSS. This is usually the biggest selling point when comparing the OR to other 4R models. You can do your own research about whether KDSS adds value for you. But the reader's digest version is that it allows for a more stiff ride when cornering on road, while relaxing the sway bar tension for more wheel travel at low speeds off road.

5) ATrac, Diff Locker, Etc. Again, if you're not offroading a lot, not sure this is valuable to you.

So are all or any of those things worth $1750? (again, assuming there aren't other trim or dealer options involved and it's truly apples/apples.)

e60ral 06-29-2018 10:55 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MidnightOffRoad (Post 3016808)
1) SR5 has the automatic trans selector vs the manual gear lever on the OR and the Pro. I don't know WHY they opted for a manual lever on the Pro and the OR, but that's a difference.

reliability, most people prefer a manual lever instead of an electric selector that can fail. the Pro and OR are still not fully manual because the front axle disconnect is still electric, but it's one less item to fail.

dot_tom 06-29-2018 10:59 AM

Easy choice, TRD ORP. For a couple iced latte's extra each month you can have all the bells and whistles. I feel like the TRD ORP would be more desirable once resold so the extra money would not be lost.

MidnightOffRoad 06-29-2018 11:11 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by e60ral (Post 3016838)
reliability, most people prefer a manual lever instead of an electric selector that can fail. the Pro and OR are still not fully manual because the front axle disconnect is still electric, but it's one less item to fail.

I guess. With all the automation, valves, motors, switches, etc, I don't feel like it appreciably improves the reliability.

What it does do is keep you from inadvertently bumping it into 4H, like I used to do from time to time on my 07 SR5. But the newer gen relocates the selector dial to a place less likely to be bumped or turned accidentally.

adio3x 06-29-2018 11:19 AM

Go #1.

I've wheeled my 4runner hard for the past 8 years with no locker, you'd be amazed at what an open open 4runner can do on the trails. A locker just makes things easier, but if you pick the right line and know how to use the brake and gas at the same time, you'll be fine.

Another thing is, if you get the bug down the road the SR5 is a better platform. It's a clean slate, if you want a locker, get ARB lockers.

#1 sounds like a better fit. Use that extra cash and get better tires. Even a stock 4runner with just AT tires will do a lot!