Toyota 4Runner Forum - Largest 4Runner Forum

Toyota 4Runner Forum - Largest 4Runner Forum (https://www.toyota-4runner.org/)
-   3rd gen T4Rs (https://www.toyota-4runner.org/3rd-gen-t4rs/)
-   -   ABS master cylinder to one ton master swap? (https://www.toyota-4runner.org/3rd-gen-t4rs/259716-abs-master-cylinder-one-ton-master-swap.html)

dennisuello 07-16-2018 12:47 PM

ABS master cylinder to one ton master swap?

Doing some work to my buddy's 2002 4Runner, that has one ton axle swap. Currently, it has the stock ABS module, without vacuum booster, I assume it's electric (it's been a few years since I sold my 4runner, so I'm out of the loop). Braking is decent, but would like to replace the whole thing with 1 ton master. Has anyone done this?

Cree 07-16-2018 01:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dennisuello (Post 3029718)
Doing some work to my buddy's 2002 4Runner, that has one ton axle swap. Currently, it has the stock ABS module, without vacuum booster, I assume it's electric (it's been a few years since I sold my 4runner, so I'm out of the loop). Braking is decent, but would like to replace the whole thing with 1 ton master. Has anyone done this?

Correct that it's electric. That's all the help I can give you since I've not been underhood on once of those enough to know a work around.

Tyler James Inc 07-16-2018 04:56 PM

I swapped mine from that style to the vacuum style- it bolts up no problem.
You have options for his setup.
I also just swapped a 3rd gen 4R booster into my buddy's '85 on tons. It's a GREAT booster to use with Chevy masters, cause you don't need to use an adapter like you do to use a Chevy master on the 4-bolt Toyota boosters. You still need a push rod adapter, but no adapter plate. There are newer Chevy masters that are better than the old 400lb unit- like from an Escalade, newer Camaro, Eldorado, etc. I have all this info, so if you go this route, I'm willing to help you out with it more.
The other option is to stay Toyota. You can swap in a large dual diaphragm 1-ton T100 booster and master. The T100 1-ton master is a 1-1/16" bore, which is the biggest Toyota master I know of.

Cree 07-16-2018 07:02 PM

If you go vacuum style, the T100 stuff is mostly a direct bolt in. Just did it in fact. Just have to rebend the lines.