Toyota 4Runner Forum - Largest 4Runner Forum

Toyota 4Runner Forum - Largest 4Runner Forum (https://www.toyota-4runner.org/)
-   5th gen T4Rs (https://www.toyota-4runner.org/5th-gen-t4rs/)
-   -   Playing mp3 music files from phone? (https://www.toyota-4runner.org/5th-gen-t4rs/259824-playing-mp3-music-files-phone.html)

The_Mickstar 07-18-2018 06:26 PM

Playing mp3 music files from phone?

Am I missing something?

I have a bunch of mp3 music files on my phone (Android) that I'd like to play in my 2018 TRDORP. The phone is connected via Bluetooth. I can make calls, see my text messages, etc. But how do I access my music files?

I tried selecting the Audio Button (left side), then Bluetooth Audio, then Select Device. My linked phone shows up as an option with two blue squares after it's name. One square is a phone, the other a music note. Neither is selectable. If I select the phone name, it takes me to a screen to Disconnect it as a Phone or as an Audio Player.

Also, I get a message on my phone saying that audio is playing automatically via Toyota 4Runner. Why don't I hear anything?

eHaze 07-18-2018 06:52 PM

little confused, are you trying to browse the files on your phone from the head unit?

wittless 07-18-2018 06:57 PM

I am an iPhone user but what you describe so far sounds pretty normal. Just launch your music player on your phone and start playing it. It will play via bluetooth just like if you had a pair of bluetooth headphones.

edit to add that once you start playing the music from the phone, then the in dash controls will start working for play/pause and fast forward etc.

The_Mickstar 07-18-2018 07:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by wittless (Post 3032542)
I am an iPhone user but what you describe so far sounds pretty normal. Just launch your music player on your phone and start playing it. It will play via bluetooth just like if you had a pair of bluetooth headphones.

edit to add that once you start playing the music from the phone, then the in dash controls will start working for play/pause and fast forward etc.

Thanks. I figured out my issue(s).

I didn't have a music player app on my phone. I just loaded my music files on a microSD card and put that in my phone, thinking that was all i needed. Also, I didn't realize I had to start the music from my phone. I thought I could do it from the dash controls.

wittless 07-18-2018 11:13 PM

great, glad it is working for you

Cadesun 10-29-2019 10:07 AM

Sometimes it takes a minute and some disconnecting and re-connecting. The head unit is pretty meh with Bluetooth.

DAW89446 10-29-2019 10:55 PM

When I bought my ‘18 SR5 with the system with Navigation, after I went through the initial pairing with my phone (Android v7.0), it plays my music just fine and automatically starts after the truck’s system boots up.

Also, a suggestion, in the Bluetooth settings on the phone, the selection to include media files must be enabled, otherwise it will only allow phone operation.

My rig has Sirius, but I already have another subscription and don’t want to have another costly subscription. In my small, isolated town, on air radio is slim pickings (country, hard punk rock, classic heavy metal, NPR), so it’s great to have my favorite music files on my phone, over 1,000 files.

jhguth 10-30-2019 10:25 AM

i'm surprised you could get an android phone in 2018 that didn't come with a music app already loaded, it thought play music or amazon music were standard

DAW89446 10-31-2019 11:35 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jhguth (Post 3380310)
i'm surprised you could get an android phone in 2018 that didn't come with a music app already loaded, it thought play music or amazon music were standard

I also noticed the comment that the person needed to download a music app. I’ve only had smart phones for about five years and all came peloaded with one.

patkelly4370 03-20-2020 08:26 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DAW89446 (Post 3380168)
When I bought my ‘18 SR5 with the system with Navigation, after I went through the initial pairing with my phone (Android v7.0), it plays my music just fine and automatically starts after the truck’s system boots up.

Also, a suggestion, in the Bluetooth settings on the phone, the selection to include media files must be enabled, otherwise it will only allow phone operation.

My rig has Sirius, but I already have another subscription and don’t want to have another costly subscription. In my small, isolated town, on air radio is slim pickings (country, hard punk rock, classic heavy metal, NPR), so it’s great to have my favorite music files on my phone, over 1,000 files.

I downloaded the Sirius XM app to my phone.
The free trial from the dealer expired so I can listen to sat radio that way.
I too have a subscription to another unit.
All my music and audio book files are on a usb thumb drive that the 4runner radio can play

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

grayjustin 03-20-2020 11:52 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ALalalalong (Post 3460572)
Are you sure that your headphones are good for that? Since I wonder if you can test it on your motorcycle. I am asking you this since I want to test it by myself (it's my older wish). However, since not so long ago I was interested in this I decided to find some tips about it. So on different forums, I've found an article where are 8 tips with pros and cons for eight headphones. It's great that something like this can be ordered directly from the source (ironhorsetrading.net) using Amazon. So it's up to you...

Is this site as good as you described it?

sduck 11-04-2021 05:03 PM

Iwas wondering why darendru posted that question in a year old thread, then his second post revealed the answer - he's a spammer. Who has a phone with no bluetooth?